September 14 2016 at 5:17 PM
East Coast Type  (Login EastCoastType)

according to the BBC

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login GMWhite)

Re: City Based T20 Confirmed in County Vote

September 14 2016, 5:26 PM 

Anyone think they can list the Cities? London (probably 2), Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff, Nottingham.....?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: City Based T20 Confirmed in County Vote

September 14 2016, 5:30 PM 

Timbuktu as far as I care for it.

Hullensian
(Login Hullensian)

Re: City Based T20

September 14 2016, 5:43 PM 

So if you live in Liverpool are you going to travel to Manchester and support Manchester (insert suitably cheesy name). Not likely is it.

(Login dpressed)

September 14 2016, 5:48 PM 

Forget the dark side. Who outside Leeds will go to Headingley to support Leeds?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 14 2016, 5:52 PM 

You surely don't still think it might be intended for real cricket fans who care about a team. As long as there are enough people acting the fool on tv it doesn't matter who they are.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 14 2016, 6:26 PM 

Who's said they'll be called Leeds or Manchester etc?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 7:18 PM 

Well done and high praise to the three clubs who did not sell their sole to the devil (Surrey, Kent & Sussex) and except the ECB "bribe". At least they have some integrity, just a pity that our club was not one of them.

18 counties and 19 votes, presumambly the ECB was the extra vote.

No way will I be watching Leeds with Buttler in their side play Manchester with Root in their side (possible). I watch and support Yorkshire with Yorkshire players in the team.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 7:22 PM 

I completely agree with the above from Stu.

Name of the Leeds franchise? I thought Mark Arthur was on record, at a members forum, as saying the only way YCCC would support the proposal was if 'our' franchise was called 'Yorkshire' rather than Leeds. Even with this concession I'm completely against and see this as a stepping stone to the end of county cricket as we know it.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 14 2016, 7:25 PM 

Its so sad all this just cant get my head around it all , its the beginning of the end imo but as long as the tv companies are happy its all that matters, money has won again over the sport.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 14 2016, 7:26 PM 

According to today's Daily Mail the teams based at Headingley and The Oval will insist on calling themselves Yorkshire and Surrey.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 7:28 PM 

Nobody has said the franchise will be called Leeds, the other t20 competition will still be there anyway so you can support Yorkshire in that if this is not your thing, each to their own

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 14 2016, 7:38 PM 

I'll ask again Stu, who has said they'll be called Leeds, Manchester etc?

(Login Roundhegian)

September 14 2016, 7:42 PM 

Yes, let's suppose the Headingley based team decides to call itself "Yorkshire" to cash in on the brand but hires players from other counties not in the magic circle. The new audience they are hoping for will, presumably, be casual cricket followers and likely to be somewhat bewildered if players in the "Yorkshire" team turn up a week or two later in another competition playing for a different team against the real Yorkshire.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 14 2016, 7:50 PM 

If this information is true then it's a very sad day indeed for the future integrity of the County structure which, has served English cricket for 140 years.
It marks the beginning of the end for the game as I have known it all my life.
Should such a competition come into being, I will, naturally, not attend (much as I enjoy 20/20 cricket). Whether the team is called 'Leeds', 'Yorkshire' or 'A large carpark near Bradford' makes not a jot of difference. I wish it utter failure.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 8:40 PM 

EYT. I was only using "Leeds" as an example, as it is a tad easier than saying "a Yorkshire based team" every time. No one has stated what the teams will be called. It is irrelevant what the team is called. Unless it is Yorkshire and is made up predominatly of Yorkshire players, I will have no interest at all in watching or supporting any of the games. Root could be playing for Surrey, Bairstow for Manchester, Lyth for Cardiff etc etc.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 14, 2016 8:43 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 14 2016, 8:49 PM 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37365637

The essex chairman's comment are worth reading. Seems its an agreement to look at further detail, not yet a done deal.

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Sep 14, 2016 8:50 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 8:51 PM 

To paraphrase Doubell on cricinfo, CC your days are numbered. City tournament is a block in July (has to be to avoid the football season for Sky TV), 80 - 100 players removed from CC, initially CC continues, player absence undermines the CC, problem solved by further reducing the CC, most likely to 8 games. Those turkeys who today think the ECB payment is a wonderful Xmas present, have indeed just voted for Christmas.

Long term, the Leeds franchise wont use the name 'Yorkshire' - to confusing. Impossible to have one group of players playing as Yorkshire in a T20 tourement in May / June and then at the same ground, possibly a week later, have a different set of players playing the same game at the same ground also called Yorkshire.

I wish nothing but complete and utter failure.

To the barricades people. Seriously beyond the 'savethecounties' site is another aware of genuine fan co-ordinated opposition? Rugby league did it against mergers that Sky wanted and football has done it on occasion. Maybe we can?

I assume YCCC will at least have the good grace to explain to members why they've supported this. Fair play to Surrey, the one big boy to buck the trend.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 9:01 PM 

Problem is, it will be a success.

So much so, that in future years it will be extended at the expense of county cricket, which will probably be 1 match against the other 7 teams.

Then a few years later the county game will be finished, overrun by the t20 infestation.

The counties, like turkeys voting for christmas, will continue to support this cos its where the money is and they all desperately need the money that this provides.

The only way to counteract this is to make county cricket profitable, and that requires major changes to make it much more attractive to the average man in the street.

Make no mistake, county cricket is critically ill, its in intensive care and like it or not the disease it has is called t20. Unless something is done in county cricket pretty soon, it will pass into the history books the same way that woolworths did.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 9:02 PM 

From the Cricinfo article

" The implications for English cricket are significant. Not only will the new T20 competition see domestic cricket played between teams other than counties for the first time in more than a century, it also seems that around 100 players will be taken out of Championship cricket for the month-long duration of the tournament. In the longer term, it is likely that the Championship schedule - already set to be cut from 16 to 14 games in 2017 - will be cut further."

100 players missing from County Cricket for 1 month, and a further cut in the CC!!

The 19th vote was the MCC - what has the future of domestic cricket in this country to do with a "private members club".

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk