<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: City Based T20

September 14 2016, 9:13 PM 

Not often I'll say this but Peter is spot on, it will a massive success.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 9:33 PM 

I also think the ECB will claim success - short term gain for a long term destruction of the game.

Had a quick look at the Somerset and Sussex forums -lots of anger on those.

Have Yorks made any comment yet? (twitter?) How does Arthur plan to consult?

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 9:34 PM 

So what happens when England start failing at Test cricket? if you keep reducing the 4 day matches then you won't be able to create the players.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 14 2016, 9:39 PM 

Strange comment given Australia keep producing the players with just 6 teams.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 9:52 PM 

Australia couldn't bat in England or Sri Lanka. As soon as England start losing then county cricket gets blamed.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 9:58 PM 

The whole T20 bandwagon has everything to do with money and nothing to do with raising our international standards.

If T20 was considered an important part of international cricket, why is so little of it played outside of the set piece tournaments - just one game v Pakistan the other day.

If the ECB was proposing a new 50 over comp or an expansion of the existing one, you could at least understand the logic as it might support the = still healthy - international 50 over games, several of which are still played

The same logic surely would apply to the four day game

But yet what are we doing? Reducing the number of four day games - and under these proposals forcing counties to field second elevens for a whole month whilst the glamour boys are playing T20 cricket for some city they have no connection with. The whole thing is bonkers

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 15 2016, 7:43 AM 

""So what happens when England start failing at Test cricket? if you keep reducing the 4 day matches then you won't be able to create the players.""

Test match cricket will go the same way as first class cricket.

Already, across the world support has waned and even in india is rarely played to full houses.

We will probably end up with just the ashes soon (cos its still profitable) and an annual t20 world cup.

County Cricket will cease to exist just like timeless tests have done. But then what will happen to cricket if and when the public get tired of the mindless slogging that is the trademark of all t20?

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 15 2016, 7:56 AM 

I've never been a particular admirer of Surrey as a County Cricket Club but on this occasion that deserve full credit for withstanding the threats, blandishments, bribes (whatever may have been applied during the NDA to twist the tails of the Counties) of the ECB.
They, together with the splendid Kent and Sussex must now lead the struggle, albeit forlorn, against this piece of self-destructive vandalism.
I don't particularly blame weaker entities such as Northants, Derby and Leicester for caving in to pressure. I'm disappointed that bigger fish such as Somerset and Essex have opted for Graves's shilling. Worst of all - how shameful that great clubs, such as Yorkshire and Lancashire, appear to have acceded to whatever pressures have been applied.

It will be interesting to see in what way, the club's supporting the ECB, have been instructed to present their case to the club membership and - more importantly in the eyes of the ECB - to the media outlets. I find it impossible to believe, however the issue might be dressed up, that the little matter of Mr.Graves's £25,000,000 won't have had some impact on discussions.

I've never been closer to resigning my membership of Yorkshire, since 1974, when I first joined. I don't want my name to be associated with this miserable venture. I feel that as members we've not been consulted - quite deliberately and cynically - until we're presented with what will prove to be a fait accompli.
I await the weasel words from Headingley with a mixture of anger and dread.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 15 2016, 8:13 AM 

I think surrey were against this particular option, not out of some altruistic passion for saving cricket, but because they believe that they are financially better off or no worse off, under the current system. They regularly have large crowds at the oval and don't think this new competition is any better for them money wise.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

big bash uk

September 15 2016, 8:26 AM 

I have just been reading about the proposed big bash UK , another nail in the coffin of county cricket and what is more alarming it is all led by our savior colin graves , and at the end of the day all counties will drop into line and accept the ECB money, it will be very interesting what yccc do with the membership price in 2018 , it will be very interesting were the Yorkshire players end up playing or all stick with yccc? or go looking for big money .

Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: big bash uk

September 15 2016, 9:07 AM 

Ive already mad up my mind re membership Club Yorks £30 and go when and if it suits , we have been lucky with the weather this year but with the majority of real games only in April May Sept people will quickly lose interest. Lots of grave turning activity will be going on this morning as we sell our soul to the £ Devil.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2016, 9:14 AM 

Yes it must be tricky for Yorkshire to vote against a proposal led by someone who is in effect the clubs guarantor for its £20m plus debts.

I have a lot of respect and time for Mr Graves and think we may not have a team to talk about without him but that does not mean I will support him in all his proposals. Perhaps he thinks his guarantee is in danger of being called in by Yorkshire so he needs something to make Yorkshire make money of their own.

I fail to see how we could have voted any other way but will listen keenly for how Mark Arthur presents the case for why we voted in support.

It could get ugly again at the next Agm I fear

(Login matthefish2002)

September 15 2016, 9:39 AM 

I am not 100% enthusiastic about the proposed new T20 Competition. I don't go and watch T20 games now so very much doubt I will watch the new competition.
But I don't think it will be the death of county cricket.
I am sure similar things were written in the early 1960s when limited overs cricket was introduced.

Sadly though you cant escape the fact that county cricket does not make money and is heavily subsidised by the England TV contract.
I can well understand clubs like Durham and Northants signing up to this for the money, it could potentially throw their club a lifeline.
If it makes money and the money made is given to all county clubs like I think the Australian system is then I would say a reluctant ok to it.
If it becomes like the IPL where clubs are owned by companies and individual for money and vanity reasons then a big no from me.

Basically I can see merit in it but need assurances on a few issues first.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2016, 9:53 AM 

I don't see how the current t20 competition can co-exist with the new one, as is being suggested. I for one would rather see a new, shorter t20 competition replacing the current one if it means no further reduction in the county championship. Counties have only being playing t20 since 2003 so we wouldn't exactly be losing a sacred monument.

Given the money being promised to the counties, it's hardly surprising that the majority want to take the discussion further, which is all they've done so far. This Big Bash model is certainly preferable to the IPL franchise model as it ensures the best financial deal for the counties.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 15 2016, 10:04 AM 

No that's one thing i don't get, how can you have two 20/20 tournaments at the same time? I think something has been lost in translation. There's a meeting next week for some counties where more will be explained. Any news at Yorkshire for a similar meeting?

(Login Jacobus24)

September 15 2016, 10:16 AM 

The Championship will be played at the same time as the new tournament not the T20 blast, eventually the 50 over competition will be a straight knockout to make room for the two T20 tournaments.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 10:18 AM 

According to the Cricinfo article. The "city "based" franchise will runn alongside the CC fixtures and up to 100 players will be removed from the counties, contracted to the ECB, and not available for the counties for the month-long duration of the tournament. Presumably the counties continue playing matches with their second teams.

From Cricinfo

" The implications for English cricket are significant. Not only will the new T20 competition see domestic cricket played between teams other than counties for the first time in more than a century, it also seems that around 100 players will be taken out of Championship cricket for the month-long duration of the tournament. In the longer term, it is likely that the Championship schedule - already set to be cut from 16 to 14 games in 2017 - will be cut further."

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 15, 2016 10:44 AM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 15 2016, 10:28 AM 

I read it as though there would be no county cricket during that period. Although i think everyone is guessing until the meetings next week. Although even then i doubt everything will be known, as there's still plenty of detail to be worked out. This is just the first round of plans.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2016, 10:31 AM 

The new teams would not be franchises - that word should not be used in this case. A franchise would be established and funded by private investors for their own profit. Under the proposed system the teams would be owned by the ECB, with the counties as stakeholders receiving an equal share of the income.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 15 2016, 10:32 AM 

I'm always a slow learner with t20 developments, but my understanding is:

At a time when we currently play championship matches, without internationals who require complete rest, we will have this franchise competion.

And the international players will now all be playing in the new competition presumably? Says it all.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk