<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Jacobus24)

Re: big bash uk

September 15 2016, 10:42 AM 

Steve Denison has said nothing has been decided yet regarding playing Championship matches at the same time as the new T20, but i think eventually the idea is to reduce Championship matches even more so this doesn't happen.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 11:20 AM 

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 15 2016, 11:21 AM 

Defies belief how the ECB painstakingly built up and persevered with 4-day, 2-division Champion cricket up to the stage where England's Test XI are consistently competitive - and then rapidly and thoughtlessly destroy it for the latest, unproven, tempting, shiny toy of City cricket - a game that is almost, but not completely, unlike Cricket, with no subtlety, no roots and no tradition, designed to sell polyester crap and beer to Friday-night groups of drunks.

As George Dobell said: Does the ECB exist to make money for cricket, or to use cricket to make money? We now know, if we ever doubted it. I dislike them and the 'Judas Iscariot' counties who voted for the idea MOST sincerely. May they choke on their mess of pottage (to mix Biblical metaphors).

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 15, 2016 11:22 AM

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

September 15 2016, 11:57 AM 

This is pretty much the beginning of the end. Speaking as someone in their 30s, I had hoped that county cricket would still be around to enjoy in my retirement years, but alas it won't

Greed has won. The game has prostituted itself to Sky. Cricket needs to grow amongst non-cricketing families. I learnt to love cricket during the 1992 home series (broadcast free on the BBC) during the school holidays. Although the free to air argument is probably moot now in an era of viewing fragmentation. The ECB should have been looking to the internet rather than to the SKY so to speak. Broadcasting matches online would be a great way to hook people in. That is where the majority of eyes are nowadays.

Phil
(Login PB123)

September 15 2016, 12:14 PM 

Cricket will start to attract football style fans as opposed to what we currently have. One example was the yob element abusing & throwing beer at Willey at Northampton awhile ago. Is this what the ECB want ?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 15 2016, 12:20 PM 

For those who are in the dark (like me), there will be a discussion on the topic during the BBC radio commentary of the Middlesex v Lancs game - i.e. in a few minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/37299599

Middlesex seem to be playing for a draw, which is good news for us.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 15 2016, 12:25 PM 

Leave off with the pompous - "football style fans" - caper if you fancy it.....

Come up with some ideas to reduce the £25 million debt if you fancy it.....

This message has been edited by ball_sup on Sep 15, 2016 12:26 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 15 2016, 12:27 PM 

Football style fans? Massive, sweeping, general statement there!

When was the last time you saw football fans throwing beer at players on the pitch?

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 15 2016, 12:34 PM 

Trick question EYT. They're not allowed beer in the stands at football. They're not to be trusted with it.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 15 2016, 12:48 PM 

Perhaps cricket will fill the void for misbehaviour which has been reduced by improved policing at soccer. Other forms of football have always been largely free of it.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2016, 12:49 PM 

There seems to have been a fair bit of backtracking on this today. I think it's unlikely this will happen in 2018.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 15 2016, 1:17 PM 

Look. I’m a bridge builder. Here goes.

Four day Championship Cricket cannot survive on it’s own. It generates revenue through Membership subscriptions, cash at the gate & ticket office, a small amount of corporate hospitality money & money taken at the cafes, bars & foodstalls. It’s media rights value is effectively zero. People follow it in the paper, on BBC Radio, and on the internet. But, none of those media outlets generate any income for the Counties.

That revenue is not enough to pay the players & coaches. Nor to maintain the pitches & grounds. I’ll hear arguments, but that’s an accepted fact ain’t it?

There is an absolute requirement for some cross subsidy from other events to finance four day Championship Cricket. By all means try to subsidise from non-cricket events. Weddings, Madness concerts, Beer Festivals. But, I’m going to say - that’s not going to be enough. You’re a Cricket Club. You’re going to have to subsidise from other Cricket Activities.

All we’ve got left to argue about is what type of cricket activities, how much activity & when it happens. The status quo is the subsidy comes from International Test, ODI & T20 cricket & domestic 50 over & T20 cricket. Primarily because those formats attract TV rights money.

Here’s a home truth. In order to get the cross subsidy that four day Championship Cricket requires, four day Championship Cricket will need to “give something up”. No gain. No Pain. At the moment (my opinion) the main thing four day Championship Cricket gives up is the players. To generate the revenue from International cricket, the best players must play, the Counties must give them up.

Now. You might feel, the cross subsidy four day cricket is currently getting is the right amount. No more money is needed. But, Yorkshire are £25 million in debt. Some Counties report they struggle year in year out to make ends meet. The evidence is - more subsidy is needed. Where is the increased cross subsidy going to come from? That’s it for me.

I think you could pitch something like….

For four day Championship Cricket to survive as an 18 County whole, there will be a new 8 team T20 tournament played in a dedicated 5 week period. All the money generated by that tournament will go directly and equitably to all 18 Counties. That money will be used to develop younger players, secure the best English qualified players in the County game & improve facilities for fans. To maintain the integrity & quality of Championship Cricket, the number of games in the Championship must be reduced. No Championship games will be played in that five week period.

It seems to me the Camps are;

1. I’m happy to see Championship Cricket live within it’s means. Smaller squads. Part-time players. Dodgy wickets. The Lot.
2. I’m happy with the current level of cross subsidy from International cricket & domestic white ball cricket. If Counties go to the wall, if debt increases, I’m OK with that. Let ‘em go.
3. The Bones of the new ECB T20 proposals as I understand them are a bridge too far, I have a better idea for generating more cross subsidy money. Here it is….
4. Broadly I support the ECB T20 proposals.

Go on then, have a go at that lot…..

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 15 2016, 1:42 PM 

Very good post phil.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

grounds

September 15 2016, 1:51 PM 

Here is one yccc are 20 million in debt because the grounds have to be upgraded but the ground doesn't have to be upgraded for county cricket or twenty twenty but for test matches and one-day games , go to any county game at Headingley and you will see a decent crowd ,go to a ground like Cardiff the investment that as been pumped into that ground and nobody goes to watch Glamorgan , all the investment is for the ECB and team England and it is those people who are trying to kill county cricket led for sky .

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: grounds

September 15 2016, 1:57 PM 

Best post on the topic so far (Phil's, just to clarify).

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 1:59 PM 

Agree re Phils posting - excellent.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 15 2016, 2:04 PM 

Booooom

& we're off ...... ECB, Team England & Sky are trying to kill County Cricket. Blast, that's the hole in my argument.

(Blue In Face) - I Am The ECB. I vote for the YCCC Board. They sit at the ECB table & vote on ECB proposals. How dare Peter WakefieldFan accuse me..... etc

The decent crowds described at Headingley are swamped by the crowd at Sheffield United FC v Leicester City U23 in the Checkatrade Trophy, and we were Boycotting that one.

OK OK, I get it.

This message has been edited by ball_sup on Sep 15, 2016 2:08 PM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 15 2016, 2:16 PM 

This message has been edited by Tyke1950 on Sep 15, 2016 2:19 PM

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 15 2016, 2:22 PM 

This message has been edited by ball_sup on Sep 15, 2016 2:23 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

September 15 2016, 2:59 PM 

Phil hope you don't mind me copying and pasting your well balanced post onto another part of the internet I am discussing the T20 proposals.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk