(Login wakefieldfan)

sheffield united vleicester

September 15 2016, 3:12 PM 

and I bet it is free entrance

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: sheffield united vleicester

September 15 2016, 9:47 PM 

It will be no surprise for me to say that what I value most is the CC. However....

I don't think we have a right to demand that the structure of the game should reflect the wishes of those of us who in effect boycott it's most popular form. I am aware of people whose summer is basically spent watching cricket - and essentially the CC. When we are not playing they find another game. On the other hand I would be prepared to accept a quality/quantity trade off. For instance 3 divisions would give us 10 games, 5 at home. 12 would be better if they could bring in 3 more teams. I could just about live with that PROVIDED THAT the games had the credibility which would come from avoiding a clash with the new competition and some sympathy for player availability.

Essentially this is one dinosaur prepared to move with the times a little to accommodate the new proposals. We are coming close to destroying everything of value in the traditional forms of the game however. One day soon the authorities could wake up to find they have alienated just about everyone who really cares deeply about the game.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

September 15 2016, 10:14 PM 

As another dinosaur I too could live with a reduced county championship programme if it helped maintain the credibility of the first class game, was timed to avoid the expanded T20 programme to allow the best players to appear, and received the unequivocal endorsement of the ECB as an integral part of a balanced English cricket programme. Those of us who love the four day game need a clear statement from the ECB that they are not attempting to destroy the championship by stealth.

(Login dpressed)

September 15 2016, 10:32 PM 

I'm a dinosaur who isn't willing to accept whatever the ECB think is the latest fad. 10 games a season will mean the end of Scarborough, probably literally. It will also kill off the majority of county memberships. It will also mean that the weather has an even larger effect than it does now. You only need a couple of matches with bad weather and your season is ruined. Of course when Test players dry up England will moan about the counties.

Then when T20 starts to die ... Like 40 & 50 over cricket has done. There will be nowhere left to go.

Ps for those who say Australia only have 6 teams that's because they only have 6 large areas of population. 70 or 80% of the population live close to a test ground, in England it's only 25%.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 10:55 PM 

Few bits and pieces.

BBC radio 4 on the evening news programme 'The world tonight' had a feature about city t20 cricket. It was broadcast Wed 14th and went out around 10:30pm It'll be available on iplayer. Its depressing and simplistic. Sort of worth a listen, but its toe curling in part.

Worth checking out the official Somerset and Sussex sites and I'm sure many others although I've not done a complete check - interesting and naive statements. Somerset set out a very clear plan for member consultation which is good. Nothing from YCCC which is disappointing. Our CE has put his hand up to support the likely destruction of 1st class county cricket and our main method of supporter communication makes no mention of it. Although I'm informed tickets for the end of season ball still available at £96 a pop for those interested. It's the only news update.

Also worth a look around the county fans forums - plenty of anger out there. We're not alone and there's more that unites us than divides. As above Sussex and Somerset are well written and worth a read to at least get some sense of solidarity.

Vic Marks in the Guardian today, at least, gives the impression he values county cricket and is sad about these changes. I've always liked Vic.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 15, 2016 11:01 PM

Ball-Sup
(Login ball_sup)

September 15 2016, 11:06 PM 

Lots of killing this, destroying that going on tonight.

£25 million in debt.
Annual expenditure vastly exceeds annual self-generated income.
Temporarily financially viable only due to massive injection of ECB cash.

Or as we would say. Dead already.

Nighty Night.

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

September 16 2016, 12:25 AM 

We may as well scrap the game entirely then. Not making any money.

Seriously though, I am not sure that we are going to get out of this with any sort of county game. It's clear worldwide that the tide has already turned against 4/5 day cricket. Maybe this is just one more step in that direction.

This message has been edited by Tyke83 on Sep 16, 2016 12:39 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 16 2016, 8:35 AM 

Is it just me who finds the timing of this to be malicious and deliberate by the ECB to coincide with one of the most exciting run ins to the end of the season for the longer version of the game that the ECB seem set on destroying? All this chatter gets in the way of the last game of the season discussions and preparation which receive less comment and press attention as a result so the ECB can then tell us that no one is interested in four day cricket anyway. Sky don't decide til a few days before to announce they are going to cover the game as they are in bed with the ecb over the new circus coming to a city near you.

Could all this attention for something that might not happen be delayed til the end of next week when this seasons grand finale is over?

There are some clever marketing people in the ECB with more spin than Shane Warne.

The winter squads will be the next thing to overshadow the final game next week too

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 16 2016, 8:56 AM 

Not for me no, neither here nor there whether it was announced this week or in two weeks time.

Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

September 16 2016, 9:19 AM 

Not dead yet, but struggling to maintain any realistic existence.

£25 million in debt primarily due to the ECB's ridiculous demands for upgrading Headingley. This was an absolutely mad decision taken by Colin Graves et al when the right move should have been to tell ECB to take their test matches elsewhere. We can clear the debt very easily by selling the ground and through a planned insolvency if we have to. Yorkshire Cricket Club is an entirely separate beast from Headingley Cricket ground. All YCCC needs is an office and training facilities and staging agreements with several grounds around the county.

Our expenditure is mainly through funding the unnecessary debt. Solution - see above.

There is no chance of terrestrial channels wanting to make a realistic bid for City T20. Choosing this period in July has little to do with bringing cricket to the masses, more about filling the black hole in Sky's schedules caused by the temporary lack of football in that month. Why would BBC etc pay for something that they don't want in alternate years when they are covering the football world cup and the olympics.

We repeatedly hear that IPL & BB are so successful they must be imitated. Absolute nonsense!! Has nobody noticed that these competitions are based on continents with predictable climate patterns. We are a small island and if we have any sort of climate it is cool maritime, usually referred to as weather. City based works so well in Australia as 90% of the population lives in those few centres as opposed to 25% here and with little history behind them to create generations of prejudice.

Big Bash runs from Christmas Eve, through the New Year bank holiday up to Australia Day. Essentially, a string of bank holidays within the school holidays during the best period of weather imaginable for spending a beautiful warm evening at the cricket. We don't have that at all and a couple of bad July's will put an end to public and TV interest in the competition.

It seems the ECB has become the tail that is wagging the dog. Essentially, the ECB is the forum through which the counties meet and agree a way forward. The threatening stance the ECB adopts with confidentiality agreements etc show that the lunatics have overtaken the asylum. Time they were culled.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 9:30 AM 

Justgrazing

I'm with you a lot of the way on that post....

Whereas Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire "just" had to go and spend money developing their grounds. YCCC had to BUY & DEVELOP their ground. That is why we have such large debt. I agree, we/Graves should have just said to the ECB - it is not viable for us to go into that amount of debt, you have to help us find another way....

I also feel we should have/might have to call The Graves Trust bluff at some point. I voted at the AGM against their veto. "We won't pay, it's up to you & Colin whether you want to call it in, or write it off".

And, like you, if it's insolvency & start again in a local park - then that might have to be the way.

I also think you're right that Free To Air TV does not want to broadcast New T20. (Nor any sort of cricket I believe).

I'm with you a lot of the way on that post....

PHIL

Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

September 16 2016, 9:35 AM 

And to cap it all we are now about to throw a few more millions at a new stand when 90% of the ground is empty for 95% of the time.

Is our board comprised of businessmen or lemmings.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 16 2016, 9:36 AM 

Quite. The ECB and TV beggared the counties with their excessive rebuild requirements which simply guaranteed a County the right to bid for an international game. Big deal! Now they hold the financial whip hand. But what is it they are making money FOR if all we are left with is T20 and a Test match game that the fixture list, lacking much 4 day cricket and that there is held in conditions that favour only swing and seam, not pace, spin or batsmanship, does not provide the players for.

Graves is a very stupid and dangerous man to have near cricket's decisions.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: City Based T20

September 16 2016, 9:36 AM 

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 16 2016, 9:40 AM 

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 16 2016, 9:43 AM 

Chris Barron
(Login Danum)

September 16 2016, 10:10 AM 

Everyone,

I've started a new thread on this called 'Future of county cricket' in which I propose what we might actually DO about this.

Please take a look.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 16 2016, 11:07 AM 

From the DM article above

"....Harrison told county chiefs he sees the flagship T20 being played on artificial pitches in the future....."

WHY? The matches are going to be played at existing test match grounds that all have "proper" pitches already in place.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 16 2016, 11:14 AM 

So all the pitches are batsmen friendly leading to big scores which is what tv wants. No low, slow pitches meaning batsmen have to work for their runs.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 16 2016, 11:52 AM 

Imitation cricket on imitation grass, played for the benefit of rich TV viewers. That's what the ECB's vision of the future is, is it?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk