<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

EDITORIAL | We need to talk about JONNY!

September 16 2016 at 5:10 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

photo rabbit_zpszp2hx83v.jpg

Apparently there are rumours afoot that Jonny Bairstow and/or Joe Root may in fact be “permitted” to play for Yorkshire against Middlesex next week. This gossip notwithstanding, here are my thoughts on the issue of player availability:

Yorkshire is set to play its last match of the 2016 season against Middlesex next week - a clash which may well decide the winner of the oldest, most sought after, and most sacred title in English professional cricket.

If the Tykes win the pennant it would be the club's third Championship in a row - a feat that has not been achieved in 48 years. In fact only eight teams in Championship history have managed to win three or more titles in succession. In short this match is potentially an historic moment for both Yorkshire and English cricket.

Alas, as it stands now, Yorkshire will not be able to field anything like their best lineup, given that our three top batsmen (based on batting averages) are currently not be available. Our overseas player Jake Lehmann has returned to Australia and Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow are being "rested" by the ECB.

In the case of Bairstow, he is already well rested, having last played on September 4 in a twenty overs match vs Pakistan, and is not scheduled to play again until at least October 3 (if he plays), when England play their first match on the Bangladesh tour. Furthermore, Yorkshire’s match against Middlesex doesn't get underway until September 20, so even if the 26-year old Bairstow was allowed to play in the match, he would have had more than two weeks off since his previous cricketing exertions (the T20 previously noted), with ten days off after the match to rest up for Bangladesh. (Fred Trueman must be rolling over in his grave.)

It is also worth noting that Mr. Bairstow is not a fully contracted England player but is on an “increment” contract, whereby he gets his county salary plus a per diem for each international match he plays.

So, why exactly wouldn’t he be released to play for Yorkshire in this vital championship match? Why wouldn’t the club ask the ECB to release him for the match? Why would Jonny Bairstow, a loyal and proud Yorkshireman by any measure, not ask the ECB to release him for this match? Has either party asked the ECB to allow Mr. Bairstow to play?

Surely, having the best players in a match of this importance would be good for English cricket in general: it would showcase the Championship and some of its best players to a large TV audience, and would be what cricket supporters deserve.

Am I missing something here, or has English domestic cricket truly fallen into a rabbit hole?

Alex

Note: Somerset could still win the title if they win their match and if the Yorkshire-Middlesex match ends in a low-scoring draw.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: EDITORIAL | We need to talk about JONNY!

September 16 2016, 6:01 AM 

Hasn't this topic being covered already in numerous other threads over the last week?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 16 2016, 8:46 AM 

Am I wrong in thinking that we could win and still come second, if Somerset pick up 2 bonus points more than us? Given the relative quality of the opposition that's quite likely.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 16 2016, 8:55 AM 

Nope, you're right. Although they would only need one more point than us.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 16 2016, 8:59 AM 

Think sadly that the ECB 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority is the England team.
The County Championship and County Cricket in general is seen as a reserve league for the England team.
The England team is the one who makes the money is the reason why.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 9:15 AM 

It's just those nice fellas Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is best.
There is no Evil Empire.
There is no Team England.
There is just a Revenue Generating Cross Subsidy that keeps County Cricket alive.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 16 2016, 9:18 AM 

Well argued Alex - I cant find much to disagree with.
Except perhaps your use of the word sacred - lets not bring God into it...

I certainly think YCCC would be entitled to ask the question..and it would be good to know if we have done so already...?
Moxon said he had a good working relationship with Strauss - might be the time to put that relationship to the test..?

Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

September 16 2016, 9:24 AM 

Thank you Alex.

Jonny Bairstow is a Yorkshire player. He is not centrally contracted yet so we have every right to demand that he plays for us. We don't because we can't trust the ECB to not be vindictive towards the player.

It is sickening that players are suspended through no fault of their own and the suspension is only lifted because the Sky paymasters decide to televise a match.

It says everything about the sorry state the ECB has created.

September 16 2016, 9:33 AM 

Suspended?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 16 2016, 9:41 AM 

Phil.

I think you have the privilege time and wherewithal to be able to watch cricket all year around the world based on previous posts.

That means you will be fortunate enough to see the top global players unlike some of us confined to county cricket and games in England only.

Yes there is financial cross subsidy but without it then where would England get their internationals from? Club cricket or the minor counties?

To better promote the game and to perhaps raise attendances at the despised county game perhaps playing England players for their counties when free and tested might boost attendance and interest and quality?

As there is no cricket on free to air tv either then people won't s the the superstars.

It needs to work both ways. Sky have finally relented and applied some common sense next week so perhaps the ecb supremos should do likewise and let their contracted players turn out for their counties.

Then more of us could enjoy watching their talents and more of us might make more effort to go and watch them play in a match local enough to us to get to

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 16 2016, 9:55 AM 

Re holding stuff against players, this is the same ECB that allowed Morgan & Hales to back out of the Bangladesh tour which Strauss has stated won't be held against them.
Should that not then apply to Bairstow & Yorkshire if they request that he be allowed to play vs Middx.
Middx can select Morgan if they wish.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 10:01 AM 

Thirdumpire

You're right. There SHOULD BE a mutually beneficial, symbiotic relationship between Counties & Team England. Backs should be scratched. I'm aware I'll come across as a supporter of what the ECB are doing.

I'm not that supporter.

But, I don't like the US & THEM nature of lots of the debate. My natural mindset is what can WE do.

International cricket provides the money for Counties to find, nurture & develop cricketers so that they go on to play International cricket. And the World Turns.

I'm for more players being released more often for County Cricket.
I'm for an 18 County, fewer games, more sense of event & occasion domestic T20.
I'm against new 8 team T20.
I'm against a business model that requires debt, debt & more debt.

But, I am against (all posters forgive me) - I want it all, I want it now, it's them that done it, I'm not giving my bit up, these heels are dug in, why? why? why?

I'll back off a bit....

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 16 2016, 10:18 AM 

Phil I think the damage has already been done so many of our games fans I know have had it with England or in the summer months anyway. We do seem to be penalised more than others maybe if the rules were more in tablets of stone we could maybe live with it however they are not, letting Stokes play for Durham so they can avoid relegation and Butler for Lancs whilst JB and JR are told to rest is strange as they are both fit young men and have suffered hardly any injury's unlike the other two who this season constantly seem to be . All fans ask for is a level playing field and that is something I dont believe we have anymore for whatever reasons .

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 16 2016, 10:22 AM 

Thanks Phil

Please don't back off as your input stimulates the debate and discussion.

I wish I was in your shoes to globe trot and watch sport!

September 16 2016, 10:34 AM 

"We do seem to be penalised more than others maybe if the rules were more in tablets of stone we could maybe live with it however they are not, letting Stokes play for Durham so they can avoid relegation and Butler for Lancs whilst JB and JR are told to rest is strange as they are both fit young men and have suffered hardly any injury's unlike the other two who this season constantly seem to be."

Your complaint here seems to be that the ECB are treating the players as individuals and managing their work loads individually? Of course you can't have the rules set in stone, each player is different.

It is not "strange" that two players in Stokes and Buttler who are coming back from injuries are playing cricket.

When people talk of conspiracy theories and ECB plans to deny Yorkshire the title you really do start to lose credibility.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 11:00 AM 

Well. Despite backing off. I must associate myself with the post from EastYorkshireTyke.

Individuals need managing Individually.

I tell you - it's just Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is right.....

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 16 2016, 11:15 AM 

And they've been very successful as a coaching team; hardly a bunch of clowns who don't know what they're doing.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 16 2016, 11:17 AM 

Its Yorkshire today that have been lets say treated harshly / differently imo to others this season I dont think any reasonably minded cricket fan would disagree , next year it may be Lancs /Surrey etc all Im asking for is a level playing field for all counties surly thats not to much to ask , no conspiracy, no us and them , just sport played to the same set of rules for all .

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 12:07 PM 

But, Papag1 - how would you word any level playing field regulation?

Surely not - all England players, regardless of injury, fitness & mental fatigue will be made available for the last two rounds of Championship Cricket.

It'd have to include something like - all England players who, in the opinion of (Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson for eg) are physically & mentally fit, will be made available for the last two rounds of Championship Cricket.

We've got that Level Playing Field now.

Anyway - I've said before - I detect that posters would like more balance, that the needs of the players & Team England be better balanced with the needs of Counties & the Championship.

To do that, we need another voice at the Table. Another voice to gently challenge Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson. A Voice to represent the County Game in general.

That's all I've got I'm afraid....

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 16 2016, 12:24 PM 

I agree players should be managed individually. What I would very much like to know is what the role of the players themselves is. Surely there's a two sided discussion with management - or there should be. We don't know whether a player has said that he would love to get back to his county for the last two games, or that he would really prefer a relaxed week at home or at the golf course. So do they get a discussion, and what form does it take, or do they get a diktat? Given that Jonny spent a large proportion of the Somerset match either on the players' balcony or elsewhere around the ground it seems unlikely his preferred choice was a rest.

Never likely to get an answer. No player is going to say 'I said I really wanted to play but the daft sods wouldn't let me.'

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk