<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: EDITORIAL | We need to talk about JONNY!

September 16 2016, 12:25 PM 

Much of the debate about fairness in treatment of Yorks is fuelled by the sheer volume of players provided, thus unavailable to Yorkshire.

If we are aiming to level the playing field, as opposed to the us v them debate,then that could be created by allowing any county with , say, more than 2 maybe 3, players called into a squad being given licence to recruit more overseas players or to bring in 'enmergency' loans to compensate.

Not perfect,and I am sure many will find holes in the proposal, but we need to find solutions to the problem that don't revolve around perceived bias and unfairness and go some way to compensating counties that provide so many players to the ECB.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 16 2016, 12:37 PM 

Quote: "Individuals need managing Individually. I tell you - it's just Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is right....."

I am sure that is the case, but I think it is about how far you take this policy. I don't think a situation should exist where the England coaching staff gets 100% of everything it wants regardless of its effects elsewhere - in this case, the integrity of a first class cricket competition. I also don't agree that the England set-up's judgement is flawless. Just one example - Ballance's recall in July.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 16 2016, 12:37 PM 

I am all for fairness and balance and catering for players different needs, but Woakes is available for Warwickshire for their last two games (as announced by the ECB) and Bairstow is not. Woakes has played considerably more cricket than Jonny in the last month plus bowlers supposedly need more rest than batsmen. Where is the fairness and balance there?

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 16 2016, 12:47 PM 

Stu, as above they are managed individual. Some need more some less cricket. No manager or coach in any sport is going to explain to every fans satisfaction, why each player is or isn't playing.

I like the idea of extra overseas players if you provide extra players to England. That seems workable and not overly complicated.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 16 2016, 12:49 PM 

http://warwickshireccc.com/news/chris-woakes-jason-roy-available-lords-final/

The ECB announced the exact opposite of what you suggest Stuart.

(Login dpressed)

September 16 2016, 1:17 PM 

The reason some of us are anti England has been when England called up a significant number of Yorkshireman for the West zIndies tour in 2015 then didn't play a significant number of them.

Team England are turning into the rich kids who can't play with all of his toys but won't let anyone else play with them either.

Ps And as I said before anyone picking Ballance for England on the back of his 100 against Middlesex at Scarborough is stupid

GG68
(Login GG68)

Re We need to talk about Johnny

September 16 2016, 1:31 PM 

Compare the situation with football. Imagine how a top Premier League manager would react on being told that his best players would only play for him for 20% of the games all season!They would be incandescent! Imagine going to a big game only to find each side is missing several of its star players. You wouldn't bother paying to go.In football the big club sides have a lot of power and money whilst the Counties are weak with very few cards to play. However they are needed to feed players into the international game.
The problem has developed over the last 30 years because England play so much cricket(?too much) all the year round. Back in the past it was five tests in summer and five in winter. Players were only missing from their clubs for a few games.
In fact, unless you have an incredible depth of talent, the best side to have to win the championship is one with good players that aren't quite good enough to get picked for England. Also don't sign a player that is likely to be picked for England as you'll hardly see him play for you!

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Contacted the club

September 16 2016, 1:59 PM 

We have emailed the YCCC (Mr. Arthur) and requested a reaction to the above editorial. Hopefully, we will get a reply.

Alex

(Login whiterosetom)

Re: Contacted the club

September 16 2016, 2:36 PM 

Not related but I have noticed there have been new posts on sixteen different threads so far today. That must be a WRF record.

WRF
Owner

September 16 2016, 3:12 PM 

We have seen a significant uptick in traffic this summer: August saw the highest monthly page view total and a record one day volume. Next week's match may result in new records again.

We take our Yorkshire cricket seriously on the WRF.

ALEX

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 16 2016, 3:26 PM 

I suspect all records will be broken next week, whatever happens!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 16 2016, 3:31 PM 

I am all for Fairness and Balance and suggest they make up a useful pair in our middle order. Perhaps the ECB could do us a further favour and carry out a Root and Branch review and then let them open the batting.

My fear is that they will do something else and make a Pigs ear or a Bears toe (sic) of the whole thing.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 16 2016, 4:12 PM 

Waite a moment TU. I think the decision will see a Leaning towards one Side. Bottom of the pile will be any consideration of the players or fans wishes.

Whatever is decided will Brook no argument. They'll just PLunkett down on the table, No Willey, won't he, no Lyth maneouvring, no Rhodes leading to any sort of amicable , Rashional solution.

It will be the normal Carve(r) up seeing us left with the Lees at the bottom of the barrel when matters come to a Head.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 16 2016, 4:24 PM 

You've outdone me there....

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 16 2016, 5:15 PM 

GG68 - you ask "imagine how a top Premier League manager would react...."

Which gives us a good opportunity to make the point that Premier League football clubs are essentially self-financing - they generate enough money - gate, hospitality, merchandising, TV rights to run their operation - to pay their players & staff etc. They do not need a year-in-year-out hand out from the FA to keep operating.

County Clubs don't generate enough revenue to be self-financing, they are bleeding cash. And they rely on the Central Body cash handout.

Reality bites. That is a key difference. I'm all for more balance towards the County game. But, County Cricket is a financial basket case.

It relies on the ECB handout, so has to "give up" much more than (for eg) a football club would.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 16 2016, 6:26 PM 

Cricket Ireland showing flexibility on Tim Murtagh as he is now cleared to play for Middlesex against YCCC before tour of SA first game 25th Sept

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/content/story/1057441.html

There has been a long and mutually beneficial relationship between Middlesex and Ireland, and we felt it would further strengthen our close ties by showing some flexibility on this occasion."

GG68
(Login GG68)

Contacted the Club

September 17 2016, 11:27 AM 

Good point Phil. The main cash the football clubs get is from TV rights. County cricket doesn't get this sort of income - in fact are any County Cricket matches of any sort televised? I don't know as I haven't got Sky! BBC/ITV used to show them in the old days.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: Contacted the Club

September 17 2016, 12:38 PM 

Phil, you say that counties rely on the ECB handout, so has to "give up" much more than (for eg) a football club would. But are not the counties the ECB and the ECB the counties? Every debate of this nature leads back to Gideon Haigh's question: does cricket make money to exist or exist to make money?

JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: Contacted the Club

September 17 2016, 12:57 PM 

Just to clarify that ECB increment contracts do NOT work as suggested in the OP. The situation described there is what happens with uncontracted players who get picked for England; those with an increment contract receive a salary from the ECB alongside their county salary, and the county is compensated when the player is not available.

More info if you're interested at the below link:

http://www.thepca.co.uk/england_contracts.html

WRF
Owner

Some numbers

September 17 2016, 2:38 PM 

There seems to be some confusion on how England players are paid. Here are some actual numbers:

Jonny Bairstow is listed as:

Retainer Fee: County salary
Test Fee: £12,000
ODI: £5,000
T20: £2,500

England Salaries

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk