<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: You can't rely on the electorate!

October 18 2016, 3:43 PM 

Barely anyone watches county championship cricket anyway so I can't see there being to much difference in spectators for the games, however, I can't help but think the purpose behind it in the championship is to give the players experience of playing under lights ahead of a test match. Who knows, might even get some England players back so they can play under lights!!

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

October 18 2016, 3:56 PM 

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 18 2016, 4:10 PM 

Playing day/night county games could cause a clash with the Rhinos on Friday nights.
But the YCCC crowd would be swamped by those attending the rugby.
But I suppose few 4 day games will be played on a Friday. T20 may be a different matter if it's played in a block.

Ian
(Login Royalnavy)

October 18 2016, 4:35 PM 

This article amused me as it said that the test players would have to play county cricket to prepare for test matches....

give over who are they trying to kid !! happy.gif

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 18 2016, 4:43 PM 

The test players NEVER play county Cricket, so playing day/night CC matches is not going to help them prepare for day/night test matches.

The article also stated it would mean a further delay in the fixtures for 2017. This coupled with the Kent appeal probably means the fixtures will be out sometime in January (if we are lucky!!)

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 18 2016, 5:02 PM 

So fixtures out a good 5 months before the season starts, don't see the issue there.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 18 2016, 5:14 PM 

The season starts in June then???

I was only jesting, but 5 months after January brings us to June.

It is a massive problem if trying to book holidays, when holiday lists are already full, by the time the fixtures are published.

Only in cricket are holidays needed so they should be out asap to avoid this problem, especially when 90% of them could have been done months ago.

The International dates and venues were sorted three months ago and the groups and teams for the two 1 day comps were known a year ago. They also knew there was going to be 14 CC fixtures, they also knew the dates of the qf`s etc. of the white ball comps and that they were going to be blocked, one in May and one in July/August.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Oct 18, 2016 5:23 PM

(Login dpressed)

October 18 2016, 5:53 PM 

I agree with Stu. They should be able to say that there will be a county game St a certain ground (in North Yorkshire) on certain dates so holidays can be booked. Some Yorkshire members don't be bothered about who we are playing (there are times when I find out when I get to the ground) just that there is a match on

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 18 2016, 6:22 PM 

As recently as the mid 80's, the fixtures were released before the end of the current one!!

The day / night stuff, is consistent with the ECB view of county cricket. It exists solely to prepare players for test match cricket. Day / night tests so need day / night first class cricket.

Any idea that the competition exists to be enjoyed by spectators or as a meaningful comp loved by players not heading to the higher reaches, simply doesn't exist. I'm not necessarily opposed to the ECB view, but despair at their one-eyed selfish view of the cricket world.

(Login dpressed)

October 18 2016, 6:50 PM 

Next year's fixtures were available by the end of the season until the end of the 1990s (when 2 divisions were introduced). In the early 2000s other counties used to issue provisional fixtures in October, although Yorkshire didn't. But then the ECB decided that the fixtures would be issued on a set date. Since then things have got later & later. No good to working people who need to book holidays to watch matches .... Yes we do exist

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 23 2016, 12:54 PM 

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk