<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Free for oldsters on the final day

September 19 2016, 8:34 PM 

My post at 8:15 and its 12 man team - thought it looked very strong, apologies.

I'm now with:

Lyth, Hodd, Lees, Gale, Ballance, Leaning, Bres, Willey, Patto, Plunkett, Sid.

Rafiq drops out, I'm concerned Gale won't bowl him given the other options although as I said 'he often finds a way', selection really is very tricky.

Response to the point raised about Brooks: I saw all the Somerset game, he was hugely off colour. I don't like teams which contain both Brooks and Plunkett, its hard for the captain at times to keep control, Liam edges it on this occasion and in these virtually unique circumstances.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 19, 2016 8:37 PM

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 19 2016, 8:38 PM 

I'm presuming that team is not in batting order, Brooks has to play for me goes for runs but more often than not he picks up wickets & we need 20

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 19 2016, 8:40 PM 

I like your imaginative thinking Sid but not sure I agree with the final eleven.

I think Brooks has to play and I'd rather not mess up our opening pair. I sense the inclusion of Plunkett Willey and Bresnan is to compensate for a lack of batting in the top 6. I would pick Leaning and give him a confidence boost as I fail to see why we need two left arm seamers and four right armers.

My guess is

Lyth Lees Ballance Gale Leaning Bresnan Hodd Plunkett Patto Brooks Siddy.

Unless we think it's a raging Bunsen burner (I see Middlesex have included Higgins and Patel in their squad so this may give a clue) and then Rafiq has to play instead of Plunkett.

Not picking enough batters is daft when you end up with six samey bowlers. Not picking a spinner is a risk too

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 19 2016, 8:53 PM 

I'd certainly go for inserting them as it's the only thing we have in our control. They will probably bat very cautiously and try to grind out a big score. All we have to do is stop them with some good bowling and the help of quite a lot of pressure on their shoulders.

Lets hope for decent weather at both games and may the best team (us obviously despite the ECB) win.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 19 2016, 8:54 PM 

Third ump: I like your 11 more than the one I picked!

I'm not sure whether my 11 is the one I'd pick or the one I think they'll pick! I was also factoring in the comment way back in the thread that Willey had tweeted something along the lines that he expects to play.

My reason for leaving out Rafiq is that Gale is reluctant to bowl him and we'll most likely be bowling 1st and 3rd.

Brooks maybe 'has to play' and I'm ok with that, but he looked way (and I mean way) below par against Somerset. Gale often turns to Plunkett in tight situations, and I don't like both in the team, so Liam edges it.

To be honest, I'm glad I'm not making the call.

Overall I think Middlesex look stronger although we have more 'match winners', I just hope one or two come off.

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 19 2016, 9:16 PM 

No Brooks. No chance. Brooks has one below par performance and he should be dropped while Gale and Leaning have scarcely had a good performance between them and they should be picked! I'm all for a variety of opinions but that is plain and utter stupidity.
I lose respect for anyone with such nonsense suggestions. Brooks has been as responsible as anyone for taking us to the brink of another Championship. His batting average even far exceeds that of Gale and Leaning.
No Brooks! It's logic defying in the extreme.

(Login Harrogate50)

September 19 2016, 9:24 PM 

I don't agree with a lot of what Gary says to be honest, but he has got it spot on 're Brooks. Not a chance he will, or should, be left out. Even if his batting average is somewhat bloated by not outs😉

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 19 2016, 11:50 PM 

I would definitely pick Brooks. We're probably going to need something special to take 20 wickets and defeat a team that hasn't lost all season, and Brooks- even more than Siddy- is the bowler most capable of producing a match-winning burst. I'm going down the 5 seamers route so even if Bad Brooks turns up- and I agree that he was dire against Somerset- then there are 4 others to pick up the pieces. I wouldn't pick Leaning as I think Plunkett and Rafiq are more likely to score runs than him at the present moment, although Jack is a player I like.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 20 2016, 2:13 AM 

With batting light Leaning should be playing but he's so off form I can't really make a case for it. Plunkett and Rafiq are just as likely to score runs.

We'll bowl first no doubt and we need them 4 down at lunch then it's game on

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 7 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk