<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

On the eve of our last triple title challenge......

September 18 2016 at 7:03 PM
Another Tory Ghetto  (Login anothertoryghetto)

..... I wonder how many of the limited squad in those days simply couldn't be bothered to turn out for the White Rose County?

I guess as this is 'Generation Snowflake' - its all about the money rather than individual pride, hence the many problems we have in society these days.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

Re: On the eve of our last triple title challenge......

September 18 2016, 10:44 PM 

You won't find any argument from me about the contrast between then and now.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 19 2016, 11:40 AM 

If you gave Illy a call today and said we needed a spinner, I reckon he'd be up to the loft to get out his whites.

Closey and Fred will be turning in their graves and I suspect Closey may have been round to Adils house with his car engine running outside to give him a lift to London and letting him rest on the way.

We know Boycs ill informed views on these things based on previous comments he made about Yardy so he may feel it's better to not comment at this stage

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 19 2016, 3:40 PM 

"At the end of May that first season, we played the Roses match at Old Trafford, and Peter Lever and company were rampant on a real wet flier... We needed 156 to win at the start of our second innings, and Geoffrey, our captain was lying stretched out on the masseur's bench holding his head and moaning about 'nervous exhaustion'. Doug Padgett had to open instead, and was immediately caught behind off Ken Shuttleworth for 1... Hampshire stroked a few around with John Woodford before chipping a Simmons full toss to Barry Wood at mid-wicket, whereupon we were 94-5, just about still in with a shout. Boycott refused to budge and was joined by his girlfriend, Ann, who held his hand and soothed his troubled brow.. Meanwhile his team were enduring a physical battering on a rain-affected wicket in search of a well-attainable Roses victory."
From Don Wilson, MAD JACK. AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY (London: Kingswood Press, 1992), p. 100.

I don't know how true this published account is. I offer it merely in the hope that it may help to dispel fanciful notions of cohesiveness among the team of the 1960s or the idea that psychological and physical strains were always overcome in the good old days.

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 19 2016, 9:27 PM 

I don't see how someone calling himself or herself Another Tory Ghetto escapes the censorship committee on here. I thought there were disclaimer remarks at the foot of the page in which folk are urged to refrain from such provocative behaviour. I'm all for a bit of satire, but I've taken flak on here for considerably less than Another Tory Ghetto. Where is the consistency?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 9:21 AM 

Ah yes - it wouldnt be a season climax without a reference to Boycott and previous civil wars...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk