<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

We must keep Gale

September 18 2016 at 10:16 PM
Lewis  (Login Lewis_116)

I confess I have fluctuated with my views on whether Gale should remain as an automatic batting choice and therefore captain.

However, he has overseen one of the most successful period for years and has captained the team with class and leadership.

This season he has been average with the bat but was good the year previous.

It feels at the moment as if everything is against us. Two limited over defeats, inspirational head coach leaving, ECB not allowing our star men to play, Rashids weird omission...

Are we on the verge of falling apart? It's going to need a very strong leader to stop the sinking ship.

I feel if we moved on next year we may lack that leadership and tenacity in the CC, especially with no clear replacement in line.

Balance captained the other day yet fortunately for him, still seems to be in the England Test team. Lees very much needs to focus on his form and not be burdened by captaincy. Who else is there unless we sign someone new?

With the above in mind, regardless of form, I would stick with Gale as CC Captain next year. He is the face of what we have achieved over recent years and whether it be on the field, in the community or on social media - He covers so many leadership credentials.

He maybe doesn't get the full credit he deserves because his batting is compared to others in the team who have achieved England honours, but when we look back in the future, we may just realise the huge overall value he brings to the Club.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Sep 18, 2016 10:17 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

Re: We must keep Gale

September 18 2016, 10:30 PM 

His value and efforts and captaincy over the years is not in question. However this year he lags behind our number ten batsman Jack Brooks in the first class averages over the course of fifteen matches. His form has deserted him. He is yesterday's man. Even his decision to bat first against Somerset was a shocker. Galey needs to fall on his own sword. Fifteen runs cameos from any top order batsman is totally unacceptable for a team chasing honours.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 18 2016, 10:39 PM 

Not sure on this one think his game could be done, I think if against the odds we make it 3 in a row he might decide himself to call it a day

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 18 2016, 11:17 PM 

I think that whether he is playing for us next season or not he must be a big part of the first team set up. If not as a player and captain then in a coaching capacity, I wouldn't even be against him being head coach.

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 18 2016, 11:24 PM 

Good call there. I wouldn't be against him being head coach either. I am however totally opposed to carrying batsmen who make fifteen or twenty runs match after match. Tis not the stuff of champions.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

andrew gale

September 19 2016, 7:22 AM 

Andrew gale as got guts to lead a team possibly into there third title when everybody and there dog says that he shouldn't be in the side , the big question is who could you make captain there is no one in this side , and you are right no one should be in the side because of there name ,what happens when an england player looses form ,remember Michael Vaughn and they come straight into the team .

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: andrew gale

September 19 2016, 11:21 AM 

We have a vacancy for a coach. Andrew Gale could fill that vacancy. However, that does leave a massive hole in our middle order, assuming Ballance is still in the test squad next summer we need a 3, 4 & 5 & 6 (can not see Rashid being around next season).

An overseas batsmen will fill one slot, but know idea where the other three are coming from. No one in the second team "shouting" for selection. Leaning & Rhodes are also not the answer, on this seasons form.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 19 2016, 3:14 PM 

right now I am very fearful for next season.

Management have a huge amount of work to do over the winter to get our team in a fit state to compete next season, otherwise we may find ourselves getting relegated.

No Root
No Bairstow
No Rashid
Sidders on his last legs
Leaning/Gale not able to bat for toffee
Ballance, if he does well we lose him to england
Lyth same
Willey/plunkett missing when playing odi's

That just leaves lees, bressie and brooks without any issues.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 19 2016, 3:29 PM 

No Root
No Bairstow
No Rashid
Sidders on his last legs
Leaning/Gale not able to bat for toffee
Ballance, if he does well we lose him to england
Lyth same
Willey/plunkett missing when playing odi's

Think that is "worst case" with knobs on! The scenario described above is as it has been this season (barring Rashid - and I can't see Rashid leaving the club now), and we are in second place in the table.

In fact, there is every reason to hope that one of Gale or Leaning will rediscover form - the worst case is that the they are as bad as this season - i.e. not worse than this season.

As for Lyth, Ballance, Lees indeed anyone else you care to mention. Yes if they do well they may play for England but isn't that the case every season? One out of the three missing is the most likely outcome which in effect is what we had this year.

Sidders on his last legs? Why have we offered him a new contract? He was far from on his last legs in the last game v. Somerset. Our best bowler.

I agree that there are worrying signs but let's not talk ourselves into relegation before we've even finished this season!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 19 2016, 3:30 PM 

I Will let you tell Siddy he is on his last legs. Just signed a new contract today.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 19 2016, 3:46 PM 

how many 40 year old fast bowlers do you know still playing first class cricket?

unfortunately the guy is not superhuman, though sometimes i wonder.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

siddy

September 19 2016, 4:08 PM 

It would be very interesting if you new what salary's were been paid to siddy when it has already stated he will not be able to play all county games a part time bowler on first class wages , people are straight into getting rid of gale and hodd , and on the rashid topic comes out with the exact excuse as Patti it stinks but the players will know the truth .

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: siddy

September 19 2016, 8:24 PM 

I hugely in the keep Gale camp. Initially another year as captain and batter, and then ,possibly as coach or replacement for MM.

It would be foolish to change both coach and captain at the same time. These are the two who know the formula to our success.

I suspect those who follow only via cricinfo massively under estimate his contribution to the cause.

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 19 2016, 9:21 PM 

"Those who only follow via cricinfo." That must be on the shortlist for condescending remark of the year. Gale has produced a litany of low scores and his apologists have produced a litany of excuses. One doesn't need to be Einstein or a devotee of cricinfo to see the blatant problem.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 19 2016, 9:41 PM 

I'm certainly in the keep Gale camp and judging by the applause he was getting for his fielding at the Somerset game we are not alone. With the possible exception of Ballance he is the only leader we seem to have on the field.

I can't help but notice though a lot of people, women especially, briefing against him in the members areas. They seem to hate the idea of his being thought of in the same terms of past successful captains.

I hope he finds some form from tomorrow and plays as well on the pitch as he wants to in his heart.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 19 2016, 10:24 PM 

Gary, understand Gales form is a problem.

I personally reckon Hodd is a greater problem. Whilst he was a back up keeper he was fine but he's no better than a number 8 or 9 batsman which leaves the balance of our team completely messed up.

Personally only want two signings in the off season. An overseas number 3 batsman available for most of the season and a keeper batsman.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 19 2016, 11:19 PM 

It's quite ironic that some on this forum feel the need to act like the ECB.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 9:22 AM 

Lewis - re the keeper/batsman. Surrey are getting rid of their surplus, Davies has gone to Somerset and now Wilson to Derby, so no spares there now to sign. They had 4, now only 2 left.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 20 2016, 9:28 AM 

They need two if all the hype about Foakes is to be believed. He will be in the test side next summer based on some reports and Surrey having lost Davies and Wilson may need Sangakarra to don the gloves - doubt he would agree to this so who else do they have? Does Burns keep wicket?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 20 2016, 9:33 AM 

Rory Burns was certainly a wicket keeper when he first played for Surrey.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk