<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 1)

September 20 2016, 1:28 PM 

Should have played six seamers just to annoy Charles Colville.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 20 2016, 1:31 PM 

Come on boys !

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 1:32 PM 

Gary: Its always impossible to know what the omitted player would have contributed. Small margins and all that. As I said it was a close call between Brooks and Plunkett and having actually seen both play live quite a bit, in this instance I've had called it the other way. A few runs from LP, a slightly better fielding team with LP on board could influence the game.However no issues with the selected 11 and as I said all along a very tight call.

I'm at work so haven't seen any of the play. We're the drops bad ones or 'tip around the post' jobs? Details please.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 1:34 PM 

As an aside did Gubbins attend Leeds Uni? Sure I recall him getting a few runs against us in a pre-season game or at least batting a reasonable length of time (2015?)

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 20 2016, 1:39 PM 

Both were catchable Sid-don. Lyth's was low to the ground but one he would normally snap up.

Rafiq's was a worse drop. A cut to backward point/gully to Rafiq's right, about 2 feet from his starting position at (his ) shoulder height. Knocked it up but couldn't get to the rebound

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 1:42 PM 

Leg glance: Thanks for the info. Lyth is almost infallible at 2nd slip so a real pity it went down. Rafiq also has a reasonable pair of hands, so in both instances fielders you'd quite happily see the ball go to.

A defence? Lords especially when looking into the pavilion or Grandstand can be tricky 'seeing' grounds.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 20 2016, 1:45 PM 

"Gary: Its always impossible to know what the omitted player would have contributed. Small margins and all that. As I said it was a close call between Brooks and Plunkett and having actually seen both play live quite a bit, in this instance I've had called it the other way. A few runs from LP, a slightly better fielding team with LP on board could influence the game.However no issues with the selected 11 and as I said all along a very tight call."

I saw Plunkett bowling in the Somerset second innings. He was impressive and really gave the batsmen the hurry up and could easily have taken more wickets. In a six man bowling attack you would expect to find space for him. In the end, the judgement was probably not Brooks v Plunkett but Willey v Plunkett, and I think the view must have been that swing would be the better option than Plunkett's pace.

These are fine judgements. The decision right now looks the correct one, but the alternatives suggested by others on the forum are no less legitimate - indeeed we will never know how a slightly different side would have performed.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 20 2016, 1:53 PM 

Really hope Siddy gets reward for his accurate bowling soon

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 20 2016, 1:53 PM 

Gubbins made his First Class debut for Leeds/Bradford MCCU against Yorkshire on April 5th, 2013.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 20 2016, 1:54 PM 

Gubbins did to go Leeds uni and hes made at least fifty in each of his last six games. (Cue Egham Tyke..)

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 20 2016, 2:01 PM 

Sorry Martin, he'll go on to make a double fifty easily if not more

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 20 2016, 2:08 PM 

Come on boys, two more soon, preferably Gubbins and Franklin ....

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 20 2016, 2:33 PM 

So much for Stu's prediction that Somerset would produce a bowler-friendly wicket, or are you now going to suggest that Somerset just happen to be batting really well on a contrived results pitch?! Somerset 185 for 2 at time of typing.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 20 2016, 2:35 PM 

Events at Taunton are moving against us, sadly. At the moment, 185-2. If they get 4 or 5 batting points then we will need to get a big score in our first innings as well as win. Unless, of course, Notts play a blinder, but I don't hold too much hope of that.

The poor first innings last week, rather than the odd bonus point not picked up here and there, looking like the key moment. That and the poor second innings at the home game vs Midd.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 20 2016, 2:39 PM 

It was always likely that Somerset would produce a batting wicket in the belief that Notts are that poor that they'll still get them out twice and win. They need the extra point so makes sense to me
Mind you, I thought Notts would be in the title reckoning happy.gif

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 20 2016, 2:40 PM 

Totally agree ECT. Somerset are the danger, not Middlesex. We can control Middlesex. We can do nowt about Somerset. We need to match them in terms of bonus points.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 20 2016, 2:50 PM 

Somerset are really forcing the issue now, as they are well on the way to 4 or 5 batting bonus points. Thus, if they go on to win their match it means that Yorkshire would need do the same. Recall if both the Tykes and Somerset win their matches and finish tied on points they would be awarded the Championship on the basis of having fewer losses.
""

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 20 2016, 2:53 PM 

We need to make sure we get maximum bowling points here or it's completely out of our hands

Way it's going at Taunton we are going to have to get maximum batting bonus points & win the game, not very likely the maximum batting points part of it

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 20 2016, 2:56 PM 

True. Would have been much easier getting 8 runs from 11 balls last week.

but then what do i know?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 20 2016, 3:00 PM 

Long way to go yet. A couple of wickets and the picture changes for Somerset.

The comparison between their game and ours is interesting - Middlesex have not got away from us. Yes we could do with a wicket or two sooner rather than later but at 151/4 off 56 overs as I write, add a couple of wickets and suddenly we are on top.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk