<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Numbers

September 20 2016 at 5:11 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Does anyone know when the Yorkshire players numbering system started. Patto has 170 on his shirt, so definately not when we were first formed, and must be quite recently.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 20, 2016 5:12 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login LondonExile)

Re: Numbers

September 20 2016, 5:24 PM 

Patto's 170 refers to the number of overs he's bowled since conceding a boundary

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 20 2016, 5:25 PM 

well it certainly isn't the number of maidens in the last 3 seasons, just gone over 400!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 5:27 PM 

Could be!!. 170 seems a very low number considering we have been going for 153 years. (formed 1863).

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 20 2016, 5:36 PM 

It is his cap number.

181, David Willey is the latest, meaning we have only awarded 18o caps since Lord Hawke got his first.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 5:44 PM 

Only 181 caps in 153 years? That can not be right, can it?

1 a year? They must have been very difficult to get in the olden days, we had three this year.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 20 2016, 5:47 PM 

That's what I thought Stu but I googled it and up came the YCCC site with the full list, Hawke to Willey via A Dolphin!

https://yorkshireccc.com/history/capped-players

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 5:54 PM 

Amazing. 153 years of cricket and only 181 caps. Players did tend to play for 30 years or so, but even so, they must have been very hard to get. Thanks Leg glance.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 20, 2016 5:54 PM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 20 2016, 6:11 PM 

so when did squad number 11 (sidders) get his cap?

I knew he had been playing for a while....but not that long surely?

...and what about our joe squad number 5 or adil...number 3?

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 20, 2016 6:13 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 20 2016, 6:12 PM 

Not the squad number Peter. The small number on the front of the shirt under the YCC crest. Apologies, if your posting was in jest.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 20, 2016 6:16 PM

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

September 20 2016, 6:46 PM 

Very interesting list.
As an illustration of how stable the 1960s side was, no new caps at all were awarded for a period of five years between August 1964 and August 1969.
There are a couple of recent instances of caps being awarded to overseas mercenaries who were only with the county for one season (Blewett, Younus Khan) but they seem to have stopped doing that.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 20 2016, 7:29 PM 

I'm amazed Blewett was capped - did he even play a full season? At least Younis fully bought into the culture of the club during his season with us.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 20 2016, 11:50 PM 

Wow, I've seen 74 of the 181 capped players play. That's a pretty high proportion, and surprised me.

I'm sure many members of this forum will have seen more.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 21 2016, 6:51 AM 

In the old days it was often said it was easier to get your England cap than your Yorkshire county cap and there were examples like Eddie Leadbetter and I think Richard Dawson who backed this up.

The team was always more stable, a county cap came with a pay rise so the club management did not give them out willy-nilly and we did not of course have overseas players sometimes at the rate of three a year who had an expectation of the county cap without having to prove themselves in a Yorkshire shirt. The increase in one day cricket leads to more matches and bigger squads all of which explain why the treasured cap was rarely doled out in the 60s and why it's now given out to some lesser mortals to make sure all the team have a cap so they can wear the same jumper on finals day.

I think some of the 70s and 80s teams would have been given a cap in these times. I recall the likes of Steve Oldham, Howard Cooper and Colin Johnson not getting capped and I suspect in some cases it led to their departure to other counties.

I would prefer some criteria to justify a cap being awarded but it's too late now. On the playing staff for a minimum number of years and having played a minimum number of games. The problem is that when we sign Willey or an overseas like Head or Lehmann then it may never happen and the likes of Hodd or Leaning playing with a full cap whilst they don't might look odd.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk