<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 2)

September 20 2016 at 11:44 PM

Stu  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 20-23, 2016 - at Lord's, London

Middlesex 208-5 (82 overs) Yorkshire
Toss uncontested, Yorkshire elected to field first

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather

WRF POLL | VOTE for the 2016 Yorkshire Player of the Year CLICK HERE

YP POLL: Are the ECB right to refuse Yorkshire permission to play Jonny Bairstow? CLICK HERE
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 2)

September 21 2016, 8:14 AM 

I'm on a train to London and there is thick fog most of the way. Hope it gets better as time goes by and the further south I get.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 21 2016, 9:14 AM 

I feel like yesterday was a good day for our championship hopes, the perfect scenario at 10:30 yesterday would be that Somerset get enough runs to mean Middlesex need a win if Somerset win but at the same time not so many that we'd struggle to match their batting points. Also we needed Middlesex not to get away from us. As far as I can see its job done so far on all counts, hopefully this mornings session sees Somerset all out for less than 350 and us batting before lunch with no wickets down. I make us favourites for the title. Or maybe I'm just an optimist!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2016, 9:20 AM 

With our very fragile batting line-up, I do not think we are favourites for the title yet. If and when we have them bowled out for less than 300 and we get to 400 then we may be favourites. That is a long way away yet.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 21 2016, 9:23 AM 

I agree with Dave. Somerset knew that they couldn't afford to prepare a bunsen because they needed the bonus points. In the absence of any turn at Taunton, maximum batting points are always a real prospect. So a score below 350 must not have been in their game plan, and is as good as we could have hoped for. From what I can glean, whilst the Nottinghamshire spinners bowled poorly, this was not the sort of pitch that they have been producing of late (I think I read that no batting points have been scored at Tauton in the first innings of their last three games).

We "just" have to get Middlesex out asap and then score the necessary 300+ runs and it really is game on (appreciate that the 300+ is the tall order in all of this!)

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 21 2016, 9:29 AM 

Batting wise for us, one of our top four needs to get a century. If they don't we will be struggling.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 21 2016, 9:40 AM 

Sun breaking out in London: suspect there won't be much/any cloud cover in an hour.

I see that Rafiq has been given a new contract.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5173/rafiq-pens-one-year-extension

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 21 2016, 9:42 AM 

On the Somerset pitch, the Guardian says:

"It was an astonishing collapse but it could not be attributed to the vagaries of the much-discussed pitch at Taunton, which offered some spin but little venom."

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 21 2016, 9:47 AM 

Somerset have included 3 spinners so must be expecting turn just because it isn't a bunsen on Day one, doesn't mean it won't be come days 3 and 4.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 21 2016, 10:04 AM 

Well their collapse yesterday has given us big chance, if they only get 3 batting points. Of course, we must at least match them when we bat and win our game but it makes our target clearer. Today is crucial and bowling them out before lunch is a priority.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 21 2016, 10:06 AM 

I am sure it will turn come days 3 or 4. Otherwise, both sides have picked the wrong teams. I think the only point I am making is that they had to make runs in their first innings to stand any chance of winning the championship. This may have had some influence on how the pitch was prepared.

I think the key for today is to bowl them out before they get away from us. You would imagine that this is the same as bowling them out before lunch. Gubbins has said that they "want to get on with it" today, so I think we will see an upping in tempo. Much beyond lunch and they will be taking the game away from us (unless they score at 2 an over, which I very much doubt they will)

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Sep 21, 2016 10:08 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2016, 10:10 AM 

Agree Alibor & Martin, we MUST have them out by Lunch, or I fear that will end our winning chances.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 21 2016, 10:41 AM 

not necessarily. If we only get 1 wicket and middx end up with 400 plus, we would need to get 350 and then wait for the middx declaration that must come as they need to win the game.

Conceding a first innings lead of 100 is not the end of the world so long as we get to 350.

These sky commentators are very poor. They are talking about how many batting points middx are going to get. Do they not understand? bonus points for middx now mean absolutely nothing. If they win, they are champions, if they don't and yorkshire or somerset win, they are not. For them it really is that simple.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 21 2016, 10:51 AM 

We have new ball - why not Sidebottom or Willey bowling?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 21 2016, 10:51 AM 

Peter, if you listen closely to any of the Sky commentators, except Rob Key, you will think you are on the WRF discussing declarations ! happy.gif

Seriously, their lack of knowledge is all encompassing

Alibor, Bresnan looks more likely to take wickets. Pitch is slow and TB is owling a very good line.

This message has been edited by legglance on Sep 21, 2016 10:53 AM

Ladypilot
(Login Ladypilotflying)

Missed catch

September 21 2016, 10:54 AM 

I wonder whether Plunkett would have taken the catch off Gubbins. I can't see Middlesex losing though I hope a miracle happens and Yorkshire win. As for letting Finn play and not Jonathan - can't help thinking Middlesex have been favoured.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 21 2016, 10:57 AM 

Peter's point about Middlesex not needing any bonus points is an interesting one. It suits them to deny us bowling points if they possibly can. If they keep their wickets in tact (or maybe only lose one more) before 110 overs AND Somerset manage 350 (which they are now well on the way to). Suddenly we need 400 in 110 overs on a sluggish pitch. A big ask.

Judging by the pace of their batting this morning (admittedly against the new ball), this may be part of their calculation

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Missed catch

September 21 2016, 11:01 AM 

it just got a bit more difficult

somerset get their 4th batting point.

now we need to get 4 wickets in next 20 overs and score 350 in 110 overs

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 21 2016, 11:08 AM 

You're assuming that Somerset get maximum bowling points....

Gubbins out! well done Brezzie. Now to run through the tail pronto.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 21 2016, 11:08 AM 

Sorry Martin, but you are wrong, it is in middlesex interest for us to still be in with a shout of winning the title and that means we need these bonus points.

If we are not in with a shout in our second innings, do you really think we will chase a difficult target?

thats gubbins finally out now, so an extra bonus point, but we need another and then to get to 350, if we do not do that we cannot win the title....so are under no obligation to risk the defeat that middlesex need to win the title themselves.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 59 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk