Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Moxon calls for changes to central contract system

September 21 2016, 8:33 PM 

Well said Martyn. Seems to me that the compensation clubs receive should be the equivalent of an England salary. In this way there is proper compensation for developmental costs etc and gives the county the means to sign a quality replacement.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 21 2016, 11:20 PM 

Some interesting stuff in there, including a few things we didn't know.

It sounds as if the club technically could have refused the ECB's request and picked Bairstow, but as Moxon said that would have been a big call, and as discussed may have had consequences for Jonny (which I'm sure is the last thing anyone would want).

I'm shocked that the compensation given to counties when their players are absent on England duty doesn't even cover the player's salary (which the county still has to pay); that really does punish counties for producing England players, both in a sporting and financial sense! Disgraceful considering that the ECB have something like £40M in cash reserves- that must surely change.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 22 2016, 1:43 AM 

Simple solution is for contracts to be upgraded at any point rather than wait every September, even if it is on a pro-rata basis. Bairstow effectively cemented his England place after a successful winter in South Africa, at that point his contract should have been upgraded.

Although freeing up a salary in February may not have guaranteed a signing when player business is normally done in the Autumn, but it might have allowed Yorkshire to sign a squad player on a summer contract.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 22 2016, 9:21 AM 

Agree JG, especially with your last para. I think the "Press" article has blown away the "myth" that we get adequately compensated for our England players being missing. It is clear from the article we do not.

(Login edthefed)

September 22 2016, 9:27 AM 

Teams that provide more than a "fair share" of contracted players should be given additional compensation.

Eg...any team can be expected to lose one player to the ECB...provided the team are fully compensated in terms of salary etc

Above one contracted player the amount of compensation increases pro rata on the number of players, OR teams are awarded Championship points each time a player is unavailable owing to ECB contracts

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2016, 9:36 AM 

I like the last para. We would have the title in the bag before the end of May!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 22 2016, 11:13 PM 

This is a very good article and interview.
It shows our management have a good mix of balls to stand up and be heard, and at the same time common sense not to burn bridges. Dizzy's interview on the morning of the current match showed the same balance. Impressed.
Thanks for posting.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 23 2016, 10:10 AM 

I am surprised that the compensation we receive doesn't cover Jonny Bairstows salary, I was under the impression it covered and then some.
Even more a kick in the teeth them asking Yorkshire to rest such a player for such a big game.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 23 2016, 1:55 PM 

they could have been no repurcussions on jonny had yccc insisted he played.

he is after all on our payroll and would be contractually obliged to play for the club that is paying his salary.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 2:38 PM 

Crickets great isn't it.

A bloke who wants to play and is fit and available isn't allowed to do so by someone else.

A bloke fit and allowed to play doesn't want to.

Their two stand ins who would not have played if the others had played score battling and vital half centuries.

It's that bizarre that if we had picked Leaning he would have got a ton at number 5 8.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 23 2016, 7:32 PM 

Whilst the point about financial compensation is an interesting one it doesn't really address the issue which most affects Yorkshire in that we continually have to field teams which are weakened by international calls. Perhaps as someone else has said there ought to be some other form of compensation for counties which provide lots of players to England like more points awarded or the option to sign an extra overseas player.

One option which occurred to me for the end of season is that once the international matches have finished the England set up could recommend which players they feel should rest for the rest of the county season but it would be up to the individual players to decide whether they wished to play or not. A recommendation from England that a player should rest would prevent his county from making him play against his wishes but would allow someone who wished to play to be able to do so.

I am slightly surprised that we have heard nothing from the PCA in respect of the Bairstow situation as after all a player (who is not centrally contracted) has been prevented from exercising his own choice in playing for his county. There would appear to be a wider principle involved here (which might occur again) which the PCA might want to take a view on.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk