<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 3)

September 22 2016 at 12:15 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 20-23, 2016 - at Lord's, London

Middlesex 270 Yorkshire 235-6 (69 overs)
Yorkshire trail by 35 runs with 4 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather

WRF POLL | VOTE for the 2016 Yorkshire Player of the Year CLICK HERE

YP POLL: Are the ECB right to refuse Yorkshire permission to play Jonny Bairstow? CLICK HERE

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day 3)

September 22 2016, 8:31 AM 

So here we are then, 5 months of cricket, and it all comes down to 2 hours at Lords this morning.

All the ifs and buts have gone, its quite simple, score 115 runs and we should have our third title, don't and we won't.

I know where i will be at 10.30 this morning, glued to the edge of my armchair watching every ball.

my brain says no chance, my heart is not so sure....

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 22 2016, 9:16 AM 

My eyes are hurting from watching so much damn telly but I have to take in at least the morning session today. Tim very sensibly talking about taking it in 10 run blocks.

Hopefully we can get off to a flyer with the old ball for the first half hour and then try and see off the new ball.

We seem to have learnt not to let the spinner settle, which along with Franklin not being good enough may have taken a lot out of the 3 faster bowlers on the first day.

Here's hoping.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 22 2016, 9:22 AM 

On the train down to London. Won't get to Lords til 11. Hoping that the journey proves worth it..

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2016, 9:40 AM 

Based on yesterday's viewing Toblerone Jones is their best bowler by far. Franklin only bowls to rest and rotate the others. Rayner to speed up the over rate which was -2 at one stage.

Funny how the centrally contracted Finn and the Irish tourist Murtagh could easily have not been playing in this game whilst the stand out bowler would be playing.

Big day. A Somerset win is a given. We have to get 350 in 110 overs and then reassess how best to win.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 22 2016, 9:43 AM 

My head says no, my heart says yes. Tough ask to get to 350, with a new ball due very shortly and only 4 wickets left. But here`s hoping.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 22 2016, 9:46 AM 

Bizarrely it might well be in Middlesex's interested to let us get the 350 in 110 overs and turn it into a one innings, winner takes all game, given Somerset will win.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 22 2016, 9:50 AM 

The MTWD guys well on to this...are their team management, though?

"In a way, it would be to Middlesex’s advantage if Yorkshire gain enough batting points to get themselves into a position whereby a win would secure them the title, as that would mean they would chase whatever we set them rather than impede our efforts to bowl them out."

"It is an irony that our chances might be a bit better if Yorkshire got to 350, and were thus obliged to chase fourth innings. If they did, mind, we might not be in a position to choose what they are set. But let's not forget Scarborough, where Yorkshire fell to pieces on the last day on a supposed batting paradise."

"Presumably if Yorkshire do get the points yet the game then meanders towards a draw, there could some contrivance between the captains on Friday as a draw will suit neither team? Cue then claims in Taunton of foul play."

Exciting, nicely balanced stuff. How about a quick poll on who we want to win if (God forbid!) it isn't us?

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 22, 2016 9:52 AM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 22 2016, 9:52 AM 

Thats what i was saying yesterday.

joke bowling till we get to 350, then declare and play joke bowlers to give middx the 115 runs back.

result by tea, middx will have a small lead and will have to declare before lunch on friday setting us something like 300 in 75-80 overs, with the winner winning the title.

otherwise will we bust a gut to try and win, i suppose if we did we could get second rather than third....but if we do not have an incentive then we will no doubt bat out for a draw and somerset will be champions.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 22 2016, 10:02 AM 

It will be a while before Middlesex start thinking that way, surely. They will hope to knock us over by about 1115 for about 245/250 and build a lead of 300 by the close, knocking us over again tomorrow.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 22 2016, 10:04 AM 

Well yes but either way we'd still be looking at 300 tomorrow to "win" the match.

The way you mention there is no incentive for us to win, we could just block for 90 overs.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2016, 10:28 AM 

Accusations of foul play from Taunton will be a joke after the tracks they have prepared in the last few weeks and the foul play of the ECB.

Would be poetic justice if some collusion saw Yorkshire then win the title.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 22 2016, 10:32 AM 

If we manage to get past 300 but not 350 it is going to be so frustrating after we threw away that silly batting point😟
However, here's hoping .....

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 22 2016, 10:39 AM 

Alibor (Login Alibor2)
Posted Sep 22, 2016 10:32 AM

If we manage to get past 300 but not 350 it is going to be so frustrating after we threw away that silly batting point😟
However, here's hoping .....

I would argue that dropped catches in a number of our matches this year including this one have cost us the championship rather more than failing to get a batting bonus point in one.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 22 2016, 10:44 AM 

EYT, not true that (if we fail to get 350) "there is no incentive for us to win, we could just block for 90 overs".

It is worth twice as much to the players to come second rather than third.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/sites/default/files/prize_money_for_domestic_matches_and_competitions.pdf

We should try and win this match even if we fail to get the 350 in the first knock for that reason and for pride.

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 22, 2016 10:45 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2016, 10:47 AM 

Perhaps we are going to bat and get 500 and then put Middlesex back in with them needing 230 to avoid innings defeat. Would they be able to bat all day to save the game and hand the title to Somerset?

I wonder if Gale met Franklin behind the Warner Stand and said let us get to 350 and we will then declare and we can agree a score for us to chase tomorrow in 2.5 sessions.

Gale then came back and decided we get to 350 and don't declare and just keep batting. Collusion? Injustice? Unfair? Being shafted?

Pick whatever you like but the same has happened to us over the last week somewhere!

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 22, 2016 10:57 AM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 22 2016, 10:48 AM 

Jack Brooks was right yesterday, not the odd bonus point to blame. It is because we were rubbish last week against Somerset.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 22 2016, 10:48 AM 

Compton drops the aggressive Rafiq!

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 22 2016, 10:50 AM 

OF re dropped catches.

Hopefully Compton's mistake costs them

Rafiq could not have checked the field settings when playing that shot though

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 22 2016, 10:52 AM 

Day of the Lords.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 511 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk