<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login Jacobus24)

Re: we need to strengthen the batting, but who

September 24 2016, 9:50 AM 

Sam Northeast to replace Gale and Sam Billings to replace Hodd.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 24 2016, 10:11 AM 

I have considered Sam Northeast, but he is Kent through and through. As captain I don't think he would leave them.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 24 2016, 10:49 AM 

Not in any of the England performance squads over the winter, so maybe he might feel he needs a move to be noticed?

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 24 2016, 11:20 AM 

It's no good coming up with all these names. If players haven't expressed a wish to leave their current counties then this is just a futile exercise.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 24 2016, 11:49 AM 

A futile exercise has been defending Gale all season. Hoping he'll leave the club mainly because he's let his team down, never mind everyone else. When speaking about signing players we need to factor in all formats so its pretty clear who needs replacing.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 24 2016, 12:10 PM 

"A futile exercise has been defending Gale all season. Hoping he'll leave the club mainly because he's let his team down."

I can't begin to understand that statement. Letting someone down to me means that someone has done something wrong where they could have taken an alternative (and better) course of action.

Gale has been out of form. He has not been out of form on purpose. He has made it clear that he would drop out of the team if there were obvious replacements, and has done so in the past.

It is perfectly reasonable to argue that Gale should step down as captain, retire completely as he is never going to regain form etc. I just don't understand what he has done wrong, and how this constitutes letting the team down.

(Login Harrogate50)

September 24 2016, 12:19 PM 

Gale has let anybody down. Honestly, some of the posts recently.........

Yes we can give opinions, that's chestnuts all about, but sometimes it goes to far. Gale has been a great captain for us and deserves respect. No he has not played well for us this season, and being the decent bloke he is, will be only too well aware of this

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 24 2016, 12:23 PM 

"Gale has let everybody down"

I know we're supposed to respect all opinions in here but are we really not letting posts like that go unchallenged? Disrespectful rubbish.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 24 2016, 12:23 PM 

Tongue firmly in cheek:)......I am sure many Lancs fans would pay Yorkshire to take Karl "The Cat" Brown off our hands.

Averaging just over 19 in 10 games this season, he has used up the 9th of his 9 lives (maybe more)...could he replace Gale in the order?

(Login Jacobus24)

September 24 2016, 12:41 PM 

Gale has a responsibility to score runs, we can't moan about losing Bairstow just so he can carry our captain. Brooks, Bresnan, Sidebottom and Patterson are the ones who need supporting with players who can do their job.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 24 2016, 1:10 PM 

Jonny's best season for Yorkshire in the CC was last season with 1108 runs

Andrew Gale scored 1045 runs in that same season.

How was JB carrying him during that campaign?

(Login Jacobus24)

September 24 2016, 1:46 PM 

It's noticeable that you didn't include both players overall average that season which was 92 and 40 respectively. I don't relate to the view that players are entitled to stay, Gale was replaced in one day cricket and in my view its time the same happened in 4 day cricket. You like to use the term 'outsider' and i personally feel you insult the one player who has done more than anybody for this club in Jack Brooks.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 24 2016, 2:00 PM 

So, Jocobus,you feel slighted because you've been criticised for saying Gale has let the club down which,in a pejorative statement that, patently, as a double winning captain,is untrue

Pointing out that I used the accurate description 'outsider' to distinguish Yorkshire born as opposed to someone born outside the Broad Acres and trying to perceive some kind of offensiveness within it doesn't wash

Back to the cricket. It would be more constructive to suggest replacements for Gale, were he to go, than to denigrate his efforts and that is why I posted on this thread, looking for suggestions as to who might be of interest should that be the chosen route.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 24 2016, 2:25 PM 

Gale this season has let his team down, this is not fiction. What doesn't wash with me is bias towards anybody.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 24 2016, 2:27 PM 

What about bias against an individual?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 24 2016, 2:39 PM 

So presumably by the same yardstick Leaning has let the team down and should retire?

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

batting

September 24 2016, 2:50 PM 

this post started off looking for someone to bolster the batting but then ended up pulling Andrew gale to pieces , there is no one in the side now that could take on the role of captain we all now that Andrew gale as had a bad season you can't hide that fact , I'm sure that if Andrew gale leaves Yorkshire he will be snapped up straight away and do a good job.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 24 2016, 2:52 PM 

If you want to start next season with Gale and Leaning then that's your call. Leaning could benefit with a loan given his age or he may still be a part of the squad in all formats.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 24 2016, 3:16 PM 

There are plenty of possible ways of describing Gale's season which no one would challenge. Serious lengthy underachievement would do. The trouble with the worst attacks on him is precisely that - they are attacks, and their choice of language in the view of many of us, is not what he deserves. As others have said 'letting the side down' has a meaning which is so well known it has become a figure of speech, and it is taken to refer to exactly that area where Andrew has never failed us - in his attitude.

So what do we do? If this was a football club we'd throw some money at he problem, and bring in half a team. Some posters seem to favour that, but it isn't financially possible and it isn't how cricket works. A very small number of good players become available each year. We know we've been in for one of them, so we've probably tried for others. So far, no luck. What sort of overseas provision we might have is subject to the usual uncertainties.

In these circumstances I would probably keep Gale for another year. The argument against that is to be seen in his scores this year. The argument for lies in his captaincy, but also in the possibility of a return to form and above all the absence of alternatives as captain and batsman. If we had signed - say - Borthwick and Davies, it would look very different, or if there were youngsters banging on the door.

That's where I stand on it at present, but plenty of sympathy however for those who want to say thank you but it's time to move on. Not much for anything which does not reflect the thank you however.

(Login Me4791)

Gale

September 24 2016, 11:24 PM 

Talk of retirement for Gale is premature surely.Dont people realise hes 32 not 42.He might struggle to get in the side if not captain but you would have thought he could find another county if he ever could envisage playing for someone else. Hes a similar age to Patterson,Bresnan,Brooks and Plunkett and normally seam bowlers are deemed to not last as long as batsman. Worryingly all the bowlers are over 30 now and wont all be a Sidebottom and play for ever.Bar Fisher is there anyone else challenging?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk