<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: wicketkeeper batsman

September 29 2016, 10:57 AM 

Bit harsh on Leaning - we know talent is there because we've seen it, he'll be back. It might be beneficial if the new coach is a former batsman in this respect.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2016, 5:27 PM 

For every Root, Bairstow, Lyth and Ballance there are many more Joe Sayers, Matthew Wood and even Kevin Sharp who looked like they would make it to the top but never made it.

I hope Leaning makes a recovery and can be associated with the first group as opposed to the second.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2016, 9:58 PM 

There was a lot of love towards YCCC last week. The cricketing world admired greatly as Bres and Sidebottom as 'Yorkshire' as they come inched us to 350 and the bonus point to a championship which didn't quite happen. We need to be careful how we proceed.

We can play fantasy cricket and recruit X from county Y, even if X has shown no wish to leave, but we risk destroying what makes the club great. I'd rather have a short term weaker team than jepodise what makes us great.

Lees, Lyth, Overseas, Ballance, Bres and Gale with Hodd and Rashid to come will do for me and long term is the right way to go.

I'm not arguing for an all Yorkshire born or nurtured team, but we must retain a Yorkshire core.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 7 2016, 1:07 AM 

With Gale now switching from playing to coaching, Yorkshire's batting options look very low with only Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Ballance and Rhodes containing any 1st XI experience. Even options in the 2nd XI are sparse and the 2nd XI figures don't make confident reading.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=11175;team=1516;type=tournament

When you read interviews from the Yorkshire coaching heirarchy about promoting from within and senior players backing themselves for glory, the short term future looks worrying without reinforcements. Division One looks very competitive next year, even more so with a reduced format and there is every chance Yorkshire will be in a relegation scrap if we start the season slowly.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 7 2016, 9:42 AM 

I still say even with a top order of Lyth, Lees, Leaning and Ballance PLUS Bresnan who must be regarded as a top six even if he doesn't always bat there, this is a very strong top six - with an overseas to come in. Of course we are relying on players finding form, but isn't that always the case? It is very rare for a team to contain a top six, all of whom are firing on all cylinders. Leaning is the worry - his poor spell spans more than a season. You would back the others to perform well. But yes, outside of this group we start to look at the likes of Rhodes - so we are very much depending on that line up finding form and maintaining fitness.

(Login dpressed)

December 7 2016, 11:55 AM 

I've been told that Yorks are after Pujara for 2017. The information came from a Yorks member who heard about it in India during recent tests.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 7 2016, 12:34 PM 

Jennings
Pujara
Borthwick
Davies
Duckett
Billings

Decent top 6 the forum has linked us with.

(Login Jacobus24)

December 7 2016, 1:25 PM 

The club needs informing that being festive does not mean promoting the sale of T20 tickets first when 4 day cricket is the main priority.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

original post. we need a batsman

December 22 2016, 11:30 PM 

current position, one batter out, promoted to coach. lots of signings being announced, we are still waiting, come on coach give us a christmas present.

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: original post. we need a batsman

December 22 2016, 11:47 PM 

Sussex have just signed batsman Laurie Evans on a three-year contract after Warwickshire released him a year early from his deal at Edgbaston.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 23 2016, 11:09 AM 

And Somerset have made a big punt in making Abell captain at the age of 22. Talented player but hasn't quite broken through yet.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 23 2016, 11:19 AM 

Regarding Championship cricket, anyway, I do no believe that finding a batsman is our biggest priority - though a good one would help, of course. The likes of Laurie Evans are absolutely not better than the lads we've already got.

Unless his career goes tits up in India in the new year, we are not going to see Adil at all next summer. Perhaps a couple of Championship games in April, when he is at his least effective (as a bowler); perhaps a couple at the end of the season, if he is not in the Test plans.

So we desperately need a spin bowler. We have seen Rafiq and Carver and they're not good enough (I'm talking Championship, understand). Logan looks in a different class entirely, but we won't know until he's tried, and he might have a different career path tracked out, at his age.

Overseas? Rangana Herath would be a major capture; then there's this young kid Mehede from Bangladesh, or the legspinner Rashid, of similar age, from Afghanistan - that would be interesting! And probably cheap, and a kid we could play on the 2s with something longer-term in mind. Ashton Agar is another possibility, but I'm not sure he's any better than Rafiq. He seems to have dropped down the Oz pecking order.

Domestic: Lancashire's Parry is a one-day fixture for them, but spends half the summer kicking his heels in the 2nd XI, when he is far too good for that. Loan deal, a la Tredwell at Sussex?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 23 2016, 11:33 AM 

I agree about Laurie Evans - a very average performer in the four day game.

I guess an overseas signing is expected to be a banker for, say, 1200 first class runs OR 50+ wickets (remember the reduction in games now applying). Is there an international spinner out there that would be so effective that we would want him in our side rather than a Pujara?

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 23 2016, 11:34 AM 

I disagree, our most urgent priority is in this order for me:

1: Keeper/batsman (especially for One day and T20)
2: Number 3 batsman (Ideally overseas Pujara/Williamson)

We have to be careful with the batting line up. I don't share others concerns about this aging bowling line up. We have loads of options and at full strength a back up of Plunkett/Willey/Fisher. That is serious depth.

I have concerns we are going to over-rely on Bresnan who has been prone to injuries. For me, he should bat 7 in all competitions. The loss of Rashid further concerns our batting depth.

I am more than happy to use Rafiq if Rashid is away. I think there is more to come from him.

What my dream scenario would be is:

1: We stick Ballance at 4 in all competitions and Leaning at 5 in all competitions. Build the team around these two. Lyth/Lees speak for themselves.
2: Sign Pujara or Williamson at 3.
3: Somehow unearth a keeper/batsman. I admire Hodd and he was fine when Bairstow was in and out of the England team. We need something more now.

A likely line up as follows is lacking batting depth and balance: (County)
Lyth, Lees, Williamson, Ballance, Leaning, Bresnan, Rashid/Rafiq, Hodd WK, Patterson, Brooks, Sidebottom.

I must prefer:
Lyth, Lees, Williamson, Ballance, Leaning, WK, Bresnan, Rashid/Rafiq, Patterson, Brooks, Sidebottom.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 23 2016, 12:30 PM 

I agree with Lewis really. Unless Ashwin is available, I think we have to look at a batsman. There are strong views about Hodd, but there is no sign from the club that they want to make the change in that direction. For me, the key is Rash. If he is available, we have a decent batting line up with Hodd at 8. If he isn't we do look light.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

December 23 2016, 12:44 PM 

How near to the first team is Harry Brook?
Is Matthew Waite ready for 4 day CC, allrounder but not a spinner?

(Login Fozzie1973)

December 23 2016, 1:34 PM 

On what basis are we expecting to see little of Rashid, don't think he covered himself in glory in India, the wickets he picked up flattered him mainly tailenders

I was at the test in Mumbai & apart from a 5 or 6 over spell he had no control whatsoever & bowled very poorly on a helpful wicket

Was no improvement in Chennai, Cook was reluctant to bowl him as there's at least one full toss or short ball guaranteed every over

Not sure he'll play many tests over here, they'll go back to the plan of Ali as our sole spinner

Useful one day bowler when batsman are attacking him but see no future for him as a test cricketer he does not have the control to build pressure, good batsman will just milk him & wait for the bad deliveries

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 23 2016, 1:54 PM 

I'd be inclined to agree re Rashid; when England revert to one spinner at home it surely won't be Adil. Moeen will play, although he should be batting in the top six and working on his shot selection.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 23 2016, 2:15 PM 

Adil had a mixed tour for sure, but I am not sure Moeen remains the number one spinner (particularly now that he seems to have finally found a berth in the top six). He was more economical than Rashid, but his strike rate was shocking - a wicket every 112 balls. Rashid's strike rate was actually superior to Ashwin's (60 v 65 balls per wicket). I suspect they are looking at Dawson to fulfil an Ashley Giles type role.

His role in ODIs is more than useful - hadn't he taken more wickets than anyone else world wide in ODIs at the end of the summer? In an era when a par score is 300, someone like Rashid comes into his own - aiming for economy alone no longer washes - wickets keep the score down.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

December 23 2016, 8:16 PM 

I reckon they will move Ali to five and give him a run. Though I like the look of Clarke we have Hameed and Jennings in there and that will be considered enough inexperience.

The Dawson/Giles comparison is a good one. I would argue Dawson is a better batsman. I worry we look too much for a container. I would like to see Leach given a run.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Dec 23, 2016 8:50 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk