<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

we need to strengthen the batting , but who

September 22 2016 at 9:05 AM
marsker  (Login marskeman)

i think the majority of yorkshire fans agree we need to strengthen the batting, even if only to cover jonny bairstows central contract. i think we need a batting overseas who is avalable all season and a domestic batsman to stiffen the batting order. how about
overseas cheteshwar pujara did a steady job for us last time but unsure of indias schedule
domestic joe clarke, worcester batsman / wicketkeeper , only 20 but scoring lots of runs.

This message has been edited by marskeman on Sep 22, 2016 9:06 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: we need to strengthen the batting , but who

September 22 2016, 9:08 AM 

Jennings from Durham?

I'm keen to see if Callis and Brook are serious first team potential next season. Hear good reports on both so will be the next Root and Bairstow or the next Tattersall and Roebuck?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 22 2016, 9:16 AM 

I don't want to give up on Leaning and Rhodes just yet. Both have shown ability but have been in bad form this season. I'd like to see them going to Australia for the winter and playing good grade cricket.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 22 2016, 10:10 AM 

Depends on Ballances availability (with England, or not) but it could be 3, 4, and 5 we are looking at, possibly 6 as well if Rashid is also away with England ( a complete middle-order). If Ballance and Rashid are with us regularly, then not so much of a problem as long as Ballance never bats at 3 (he can bat at 5 and then we do not need a domestic signing).

A few suggestions(only my opinion).

Gale moved up to asst coach, and appoint a new captain.

3. An overseas (Pujara, Williamson or Lehmann), but anyone as long as it is season long, which will be very difficult with the amount of cricket played by International teams during our summer.

4. Hodd (he always plays a lot better, when higher up the order), and frees up slots 6 to 11 for whichever 5 bowlers we select.

5. A domestic signing, if anyone is available.

6. Rhodes, Leaning, Callis or Brook (who ever is most successfull in the role). Try them all, surely one of them will eventually score some runs!!

Followed by Bresnan, Rashid, & 3 seamers from Patto, Brooks, Siddy, Plunkett, Fisher & Willey.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 22, 2016 7:35 PM

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 22 2016, 10:13 AM 

I have hopes for Leaning and Rhodes as well (particularly the former). After all, wasn't it only a season or so back that Leaning was out-performing Root at the equivalent age/number of FC matches? My hope is that both become solid county pros for us for many years to come.

How many trees did Patto pull up in his first few seasons?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 22 2016, 10:28 AM 

Jennings has signed a new deal at Durham so he's another non-runner.

(Login WithoutaDream)

September 22 2016, 1:10 PM 

Assuming Pujara doesn't get an IPL deal or isn't in the one day squads for India he would only be scheduled in for 3 tests as far as I know

http://www.ecb.co.uk/sites/default/files/ftp_2015_to_2019_as_at_nov_2014.pdf

New Zealand also seem to have a very clear schedule though Williamson would be required for the Champions trophy, you'd imagine.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 22 2016, 2:18 PM 

champions trophy only a very short tournament.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 22 2016, 3:29 PM 

Think there's a number 5 batsman by the name of Bresnan? And apparently he can bowl a bit too.

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

September 22 2016, 3:54 PM 

There are probably two spots available as you suspect that Gale will go this year. Leaning and Rhodes will be persisted with as you can't discard them too early.

1. Lyth
2. Lees
3. Balance (Although preferably lower down)
4. ?
5. ?
6. Bresnan
7. ? or Hodd
8. Rashid/Rafiq
9/10/11 Plunkett, Brooks, Patto, Siddy, Fisher, or Shaw

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 22 2016, 5:19 PM 

Would it be worth uprooting Billy from Notts?

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 22 2016, 8:45 PM 

2 Permanent batsmen needed. One an overseas player and the other a keeper batsman.

Depending on his progress with England, Duckett despite his possible staying with Northans, now that Davies has gone to Somerset is a serious option.

Under no circumstance should Ballance bat 3.

No way should we discount Leaning and Rhodes.

Lyth
Lees
Pujura or Williamson
Duckett wk
Balance
Gale c
Bresnan
Rashid

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 22 2016, 9:10 PM 

Duckett has made no indication that he wants to leave Northants and England are already on his case so I do not understand the clamour for us to sign him.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 22 2016, 10:54 PM 

I suppose the clamour is because there appears no obvious solution bar an overseas keeper or Mustard who I'm not keen on.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 22 2016, 11:20 PM 

I was for Duckett earlier in the season but he's not going to be any good to us now he has been picked for England. He would just be another one the ECB wouldn't let us play.

We need an overseas signing who could play most of the season, perhaps Jake Lehmann would be a good bet as you imagine he would be decent in all formats.

The rest is up in the air a bit depending if England keep picking Ballance, will Gale call it a day, can Leaning and/or Rhodes and/or somebody else come through.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 7:33 AM 

I think good players can lose form occasionally but when it's over pretty much a whole season as an average of below 20 might suggest then it's more than a poor spell.

Hoping that someone will come good next year on the back of this sort of "form" is a huge leap of faith. Doing it for three players would be irresponsible If We think all three are needed for our starting line up.

An overseas is one obvious addition. Domestics are going to be harder as the good ones are being snapped up. If we had asked Stoneman or Davies or Borthwick if interested then the first question would be who is your coach next season and the la k of an answer might persuade them to look elsewhere

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: we need to strengthen the batting, but who

September 23 2016, 9:30 AM 

If we had asked anyone if they were interested we would have been in trouble for "tapping up" players!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 9:38 AM 

Not the case. Players coming to end of contracts are able to open discussions ahead of the season end. Otherwise how come Surrey have snapped up Borthwick and Stoneman and likewise Somerset for Davies? Plus Wheater moving back to Essex.

Agree if not coming to end of contracts then trickier

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 23 2016, 7:18 PM 

Yes I know this but I took your post to imply we should ask players if they were interested in moving before they had indicated they wished to leave their current counties. We already know we talked to Borthwick but he turned us down to move to Surrey.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 24 2016, 4:45 AM 

3 major decisions need to be made before the new season

A new coach who can maintain our success and even build on Dizzy's great work

An overseas player who is available for the whole season and better than what we have

An extra batsmen to be found from somewhere for situations like the last match where we had no viable options

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk