<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: In place

September 23 2016, 10:56 AM 

Yes other than our front line bowlers being a bit loose don't think we can be seen to be giving away runs. For a result today unless we bowl middx out there surely has to be a desire on both sides for a result. A stiff enough target but equally enough overs to bowl us out. That's the difficulty given the time left in the game

boroeric
(Login boroeric)

Live at Lords

September 23 2016, 10:57 AM 

Rather ironic walking into Lords this morning to see Jony Bairstow out on the training area posing for cricket shot photographs for the ECB. Given real choice I'm sure his body, as well as his heart and mind, would have been with his fellow Yorkshire CCC team members on such an important day as today.
Great show from the Yorkshire supporters on a glorious sunny day here at Lords.
What an enthralling finish to the season on the very last day of the Championship.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

Re: In place

September 23 2016, 10:59 AM 

This won't be a draw, they will set something and we'll chase it to the end

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Live at Lords

September 23 2016, 11:00 AM 

Looking at things at the moment I think the next couple of hours will be a bit of a phoney war before Middlesex set us some sort of target.

(Login Danum)

Following from afar

September 23 2016, 11:16 AM 

Following it from Boston, Massachusetts ( yes I know) since 5.30am. My heart is in London though. Come on guys you can do this.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

Re: Following from afar

September 23 2016, 11:34 AM 

They have to give us some chance I reckon 7 an over leaves 200 after tea

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 23 2016, 11:48 AM 

Sky talking about us chasing runs this evening at 10 an over. That somehow the onus is on us. That we are the more desperate party. I am not sure where this comes from.

Middlesex have been top of the table for a good while, should have already won the title (but for over-caution that would have caused Peter's laptop to spontaneously combust) and haven't won it for 23 years. I would be furious if I was a Middlesex supporter if come tonight Middlesex are not champions.

Surely, we can call their bluff as much as the other way round.

A 20/20 comparison is a nonsense too, as the pitch is very slow and low (increasingly even) and the Middlesex captain has full freedom over field placings. If Yorkshire get start to get close, Middlesex can just put 8 on the boundary.

If Middlesex want the better of any deal, forget it, we can try again next year.

Edit: Part of the reasoning seems to be that the Sky team think Middlesex have this attractive fallback position of taking the draw and the 167k for second (as against 84k for third). What? Middlesex players are really that bothered by an extra few grand (taxed anyway perhaps)?

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Sep 23, 2016 11:54 AM

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 23 2016, 11:52 AM 

Agreed, Middlesex are the more desperate side, as we have drank from the cup of success and rarely have Middlesex tasted this. The onus I feel is most certainly on them now.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 23 2016, 11:52 AM 

There would be fury on here if we didn't go for the chase, we have nothing to lose. Shouldn't matter to us who wins if it's not us

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 23 2016, 11:54 AM 

Yep agree with this also they will know that right or wrong a lot of YCCC people feel that everything possible has been done by certain people to lean towards Middlesex winning the title, so maybe that feeling may be taken into consideration

(Login matthefish2002)

September 23 2016, 12:04 PM 

Would both say we are as anxious to win as each other.
First time in ages the County Championship has got some National coverage, if Middlesex limply settle for a draw I think it would be a bit unforgivable when cricket needs all the good publicity it can get.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 23 2016, 12:08 PM 

You can't just chase anything though and Gale should have given the very clear signal this morning to Franklin that we won't. Been a bit of loose talk about this from some of the players that is not really helpful.

Franklin is under pressure here. His caution has led Middlesex into their current predicament.

Also, Charles Colville is just embarrassing. Generally, why is such a fuss made of the Sky coverage? A few extra camera angles, but simply awful commentary in the main. Athers seems a little more balanced and informed.

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

September 23 2016, 12:09 PM 

Is the banning of "dekky" bowling a recent thing?

At Scarborough in 2012 Gale and Lyth bowled 10 overs for 159 runs which led to a Yorkshire fourth innings run chase.

Presumably it's been outlawed since.

Spire Tyke
(Login SpireTyke)

Following from afar

September 23 2016, 12:09 PM 

Bressie said on the late Look North last night that we are going for it. "Last Man Swinging" was the way he put it.

He also said that either Middlesex or Yorkshire will win the title.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 12:16 PM 

The problem is we can't be seen to put on the buffet bowlers or the ecb and Somerset will moan and we will no doubt be docked points, have our captain suspended and relegated to div 2 next season.

You think I'm joking and just remember what happened to Closey when he lost the England captaincy.

We need our good bowlers to bowl not quite so well, set aggressive fields as if we are still trying to take wickets but leave big gaps for us hem to hit boundaries. Then when it gets to the last session they can declare with a lead of 200 for us to chase in 20 overs.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 23 2016, 12:26 PM 

Ballance has bowled leg spin for england, so somerset or the ecb cannot complain if we bowl him and he gets hit all over the place.

deccy bowling has not be outlawed as such, i think its covered in unsporting behaviour or bringing the game into disrepute.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 23 2016, 12:28 PM 

Ballance bowled in the dying overs of a match. Not sure it's quite the same thing here

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 23 2016, 12:37 PM 

This match doesn't need buffet bowling. Middlesex are naturally on course to set us a one session target.

David
(Login dikaiopolis)

September 23 2016, 12:40 PM 

They were discussing this on the radio - bowling part timers with "attacking fields" (ie everyone in the slips so that there are loads of gaps to hit boundaries) is OK, but deliberately bowling wides, or kicking the bowl over the boundary is not.

Just wish they'd get on with it - can't stand much more of this!

Spire Tyke
(Login SpireTyke)

Following from afar

September 23 2016, 12:41 PM 

I agree. 210 ish off 30 overs seems fairly easy to sort out

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 59 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk