<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

POLL: Rate Yorkshire's Performance in 2016

September 24 2016 at 2:16 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

It's that time again - time to rate Yorkshire's overall team performance in ALL FORMATS for the past season.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login mihall)

Somewhat Above Expectation

September 24 2016, 8:56 AM 

For me we were somewhat above expectation primarily because of the better results in white ball cricket. Very pleased with performance and look forward to winning a trophy soon.

County Championship, my favourite, was still very good if not quite of the standard of last year. We all admit our batting was below par but both openers got over 1,000 runs and averaged over 40. Gary Ballance will be a very good number 3 in county cricket if he does not make the Test team. Andrew Gale and Jack Leaning will work and hope for better seasons and this is my biggest wish for 2017 a 1,000 runs for Jack Leaning and average over 40.

My biggest pride in supporting Yorkshire was the team spirit and how they played for each other. Highlight was recovery to beat Nottinghamshire at Scarborough which was marvellous team spirit. Thank you to all the team really enjoyed the summer.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Somewhat Above Expectation

September 24 2016, 9:20 AM 

As my pre season prediction was 3rd or 4th the performance was in line with my expectations. The biggest disappointment was regularly finding ourselves 40 for 4. And of course team England interference in our team selections.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

September 24 2016, 9:35 AM 

Lyth and Lees did well to get the benchmark for a batsman, 1,000+ runs, but does anyone know how many times the opening pair shared a century partnership during the season? If, as I suspect not very often, then that could do with working on for next summer.

I too hope Leaning can progress to 1,000+ runs next year but wonder if him and Ballance should switch in the order, Leaning 3, Ballance 5. I could be wrong with this but haven't both in the past done better in those positions in the batting order? Be a bonus too if Rhodes could develop a bit and maybe nail an all rounders spot at 6. Obviously they'd all have to improve on their 2016 performances for this to happen.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 24 2016, 9:57 AM 

Just a little below expectations for me.
The team were outstanding, but the top order batting was fragile at key times. Lees and Lyth performed just about as well as expected. Ballance is still looking for his best form. Gale has had a shocker, I'm afraid and Leaning disappointed me. We never really were able to make up for the runs JB scored in 2015.
The seam bowling fell just a little below the heights achieved in 2015. Injury earlier in the season didn't help. Towards the end, Sidebottom,Brooks and Bresnan were wonderful.
The major heart warming event of 2016 was the reincarnation of Azeem Rafiq. A complete surprise to me - and an immense pleasure. He will never be an adequate replacement for Adil Rashid but he is such a keen and astute competitor. The major disappointment was the complete absence of Fisher. We'll never know what difference he might have made earlier in the season when Bresnan, Sidebottom and Brooks were injured.
Adil Rashid is a crucial player for Yorkshire. We would all be very unwise to make him feel unwelcome or unloved at Yorkshire. Gale remains an important component to the side. He has had an awful season and another such would probably convince me he should call it a day; however I would expect 2017 to be a better season for him and, with the departure of Gillespie, continuity makes it doubly desirable that he remain in post as Captain.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2016, 9:57 AM 

My pre-season prediction was second or third in the CC due to England call ups, so just about as expected there. I also predicted an improvement in white-ball cricket, which after the first few matches in both formats, was not looking as if it would be the case, but by the end of the season, we were about where I expected us to be.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 24 2016, 12:13 PM 

Just below expectations but I had a high benchmark of three in a row. The fact that so many things seemed to conspire against us made the end position better than I could have expected with hindsight but still hoped we would overcome anyone and everyone

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 24 2016, 12:28 PM 

Hope and expectation are very different things.

But I think we can be happy - without ever really excelling in the CC, we were still in with a chance until the last hour of the season.

Now to sort the batting...

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 24 2016, 12:43 PM 

"Hope and expectation are very different things."

Sums it up nicely CS. I said the England call ups, particulary JB, would have a great effect and,correspondingly, went for a top 3 finish so, on that basis we met my expectations.

My hope was that the team would proved me wrong and we would be celebrating 3 by now so but for the various well documented reasons, which I am sure will fuel plenty of speculation & debate this winter, logic says that I am in the C camp of 'about what was expected'.

Taking into account the white ball stuff, we saw improvement so I could be in the B camp but, seeing as I did not consider that in my original vote, I have not taken that into consideration.

Funny how getting what I expected feels so disappointing though.

I fully expect next year to be more challenging but hope it's not, happy.gif

This message has been edited by legglance on Sep 24, 2016 12:44 PM

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Somewhat above expectation

September 24 2016, 2:39 PM 

Among all the criticisms of Andrew Gale's batting form, perhaps it should be remembered that he has been running a benefit year this season. Players often fall below their best when they have this distraction. He should be given another season to ascertain whether his form truly has deserted him.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Re: Somewhat Above Expectations

September 24 2016, 2:40 PM 

In answer to a question posed above, I can recall 2 opening century partnerships. Away to Lancashire, 2nd innings, and at home against Durham, again in the 2nd innings.

One of the Sky commentators mentioned that on 14 separate occasions Yorkshire lost the first 3 wickets before we reached 60. It's pretty remarkable, and great credit to the lower order batsmen and bowlers that we were still in the running to be Champions again into the last hour of the season.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

September 24 2016, 2:52 PM 

There were two more century opening partnerships between Adam Lyth & Alex Lees (four in all).
The others were away to Somerset in the first innings and away to Durham in the second innings.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2016, 3:35 PM 

3 out of 4 in our second innings. No wonder we were 50/60-4 in most of our matches in the first innings (quite often before lunch on the first day).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 24, 2016 4:09 PM

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 25 2016, 5:28 PM 

Looks like a solid C minus. This poll closes on Monday at midnight.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 25 2016, 6:38 PM 

White ball - above (and a real breakthrough in approach)
Red ball - below the expectations I had in Sept 2015, above those I had in April 2016.

AG, MM and JG all admitted weaknesses in top order in second half of 2015 season, so I assumed at the end of 2015 season that something would be done in the winter and we would win the title again. However, come this April it was clear we were going to have overseas cameos and Gale, Ballance, Leaning and Rhodes as the other middle order bats. Thought 5th or 6th was in offing then.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 26 2016, 10:15 AM 

At the start of the season I didn't think that we would become champions again.
Largely due to my natural pessimism in all matters sporting.
What has largely been overlooked in all the wailing, gnashing of teeth, blaming Gale, blaming the early batting and finally the ECB has been our catching.
In most of the games we lost or drew, including the final game at Lord's, vital & often simple catches have been dropped.
That as much as any batting failures has caused our failure to threepeat.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk