<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Onto next season...

September 24 2016 at 9:31 AM
Lewis  (Login Lewis_116)

Firstly. Incredible effort considering our weakened batting both by England commitments and ECB matters.

Onto next season, it really is time for the batting to stand up having been so relient on the likes of Lyth, Bairstow and Bresnan for too long.

Any thoughts on who could take over? Following the success of JG, I wonder if they will go Aussie again. With Dawson and Silverwood a year into their respective roles, would they up and leave?

Then into Gale. He's clearly considering his position. If he feels he can get his form back I would keep him as skipper as his leadership beings a huge tenacity to the team. He's clearly admired and with no clear replacement I wonder if he should bat lower?

Anyway, would welcome thoughts. If we can add a consistent batting line up to our outstanding bowling options and ideally a keeper batsman, we should be challenging again.

I fancy Surrey and Middlesex to challenge again next season.

If course my whole post focusing on the County Championship. It's still the biggie for me.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Onto next season...

September 24 2016, 9:55 AM 

You've got to fancy Surrey & Middx, I agree.
I expected more from Warks but are they all getting old together & now losing their brightest younger star Woakes?
You have to think that Durham will struggle losing two of their top three batsmen & Collie now 40.
I expect we will have our usual ups & downs & two to go down from eight will make for a challenging season unless we can find some more runs regularly from our top order.
Ballance should bat 5 & Gale 6 for me.
I don't know how we can fill nos 3 & 4.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Onto next season...

September 24 2016, 10:05 AM 

Agree re Middlesex and Surrey, they will be the teams to beat.

Durham, Essex, and us fighting against relegation, unless we get our non-functioning middle order sorted out. We can not expect our 7 to 11 to constantly ge us out of "jail". Don`t know what is going to happen during the winter, but would not be surprised to find us needing a 3, 4, 5 & 6. Gale retiring? Ballance & Rashid away with England? An overseas will fill one slot, but the other 3? We could try Leaning, Rhodes, Callis or Brooks but who knows if they will do the job? The other alternative is pack the side with bowlers and bat Bresnan/Plunkett/Willey up the order. We could have a big Middle-order hole to fill.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 24, 2016 10:11 AM

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Next season

September 24 2016, 10:25 AM 

Can't see Gale retiring if he has no job to go too, who would throw themselves on the dole ?
Still under contract I think he will give it one more season to try and recover his form ?
Also I think he, Bres and Raf could be a lot fitter and need to be more mobile running between the stumps ok I expect some posters will have issues with this statement !
Let's not write Leaning of too soon, he should come good again along with the emerging Coad and Fisher although the latter are mainly bowlers !
So basically we have to find at least one batter from the ranks or failing that, from within the broad acres of Yorkshire eg Billy Root etc.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Next season

September 24 2016, 10:45 AM 

It is only speculation re Gale. Not retiring, but Asst coach perhaps? He has fuelled this speculation himself.

From todays "Press".

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/14762312.Skipper_Gale_considers_future_as_Yorkshire_miss_out_on_County_Championship_hat_trick/?ref=mac

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 24 2016, 11:49 AM 

Galey would not be on the dole he is building a thriving business in Pro coach.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 24 2016, 12:02 PM 

Seems to me that the ideal would be for Gale to continue as a playing assistant coach, as long as we can find someone else to captain the side. In that way, there is no pressure for him to play if his poor form continues (to be fair to Gale, I don't think he has any problem with leaving himself out, but ideally you want your captain to be a dead cert for the whole season)

I don't think that splitting the capataincy between one day and long form cricket is particularly sensible, when the long form captain is not playing in the short form of the game. I think it made Gale's season very disjointed, which cannot have helped him to recover his form. Next season may be slightly better with the T20 being played in a block (is that still the plan?) but then there will be less four day cricket. The ideal is probably for Lees to take over - whether that is sensible I am not so sure.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 24 2016, 12:12 PM 

Nobody else has to worry about bottom place next season - Lancs have already reserved that if Giles continues with his "Kamikaze Mission" to field an ALL homegrown team.

In the abject surrender against Warwickshire, the entire XI - apart from Zimbabwe-born Jarvis - came through the LCCC youth ranks....trouble is 4/5 out of the 10 are nowhere near good enough for Div One cricket.

The way Giles talks he will not be happy until he has replaced Jarvis so he can field an ALL homegrown XI.

If you think Yorkshire have batting problems, we have batting problems, bowling problems and even wicketkeeping problems with Davies injured and Buttler using every trick in the book to avoid playing four-day cricket.

At least we will have two Roses matches to enjoy (or, in Lancs case, suffer).happy.gif

The three best teams this season - yourselves, Middlesex and Somerset - all have at least three or four "imports" so the way to go is obviously a mix of homegrown talent and experienced imports.

I cannot understand why Giles is so reluctant to sign from the "outside" or even an overseas replacement - when he guided Warwickshire to the 2012 title he used about 7/8 "imports".....Chopra (Essex), Wright (Essex), Ambrose (Sussex), Porterfield (Gloucs), Patel (NZ), Clarke (Surrey), Maddy (Leics)...I may have missed one or two and Trott certainly not of West Midlands origin.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Sep 24, 2016 12:19 PM

(Login Harrogate50)

September 24 2016, 12:24 PM 

Add Wainman to the list. What I have seen of him, he looks a useful prospect.

I've never understood why Hildreth doesn't get or had a mention of playing for England. Yes, his time has gone now, but could he do a job for us. Guaranteed to get runs, but may not move now.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 24 2016, 12:33 PM 

What about Caalis? Can anyone who's seen him play give an assessment?

SpireTyke
(Login SpireTyke)

Next Season

September 24 2016, 12:42 PM 

"Thanks for all you did against Middlesex Tim. I appreciate you were had about half an hour off the field over 4 days play. However, I think you should be a lot fitter and I have a programme for you over the winter".

Yeah, right.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Next Season

September 24 2016, 12:56 PM 

If Gale was to retire it leaves a vacancy for a captain/batsman.

Does that make it easier to attract a mature, respected cricketer if the dual role is offered to an 'outsider'.

If so, who fits the description?

Reg
(Login Reg19)

September 24 2016, 1:19 PM 

I thought Wainman would have come through sooner. I remember watching him way back with the liks of Lees, Leaning and Rhodes. He has been unlucky on the injury front and of course Fisher has emerged. Looking at the current bunch, there isn't anybody who feels ready at this moment. I remember watching a seconds game at York against Durham recently, which included a couple of first teamers, and the gap in skills between them and the prospect felt far too big.

I have been a regular follower of the academy and seconds, I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere of such games. I regularly talk to the 'staff' on their walks around the pitch and the often used phrase (from them not me) is 'they need to go back in the oven until they are done a bit more'. From what I have seen, it's difficult not agree with that. So I don't believe at the moment that the answer lies within our developing players.

Re Leaning and Rhodes, they stood out so strongly coming through the ranks. I don't question their ability for one moment. However the next step up in cricket always demands more in terms of skills, consistency and mental toughness. The first season is never one to judge a player on, they come with enthusiasm and ability and are an unknown quantity. The second season, is equally hard to judge on, they are more known, their start flaws show and all while they are in the spotlight. This is where the player has to develop on all fronts to withstand the pressure. The way a player bounces back after their first dip tells you a lot about their potential. We need to see that return from Jack and Will, they need to have the chance and we shouldn't be hasty in writing them off.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Next season

September 24 2016, 2:26 PM 

Reg - it is all very well the Academy coaches using the metaphor about ovens and insufficiently cooked. The fact is that the present (Academy) coaching staff have been in post for five years and have failed to produce a single batsman of note. Leaning and Rhodes were well through the system before then.Harry Brooks at 17 is perhaps a potential exception, but where are the 18-21 year olds ? Like you, I watch the Academy and second team and just cannot see any rising batting star. They all have their moments but fail to show consistency. The bowling looks to be in better shape with Fisher and Shaw leading the pack. Wainman and Coad are older but appear to have been overtaken. Additionally there are several other bowlers of every type making good progress. I wonder whether we need a coach with first class batting experience somewhere in the mix.

(Login Reg19)

September 24 2016, 3:06 PM 

Yes, I am not suggesting it's the right answer say they need more time. Ian Dews is a mainstay there and has been around for quite a few years, working very closely with Steve Oldham in the first instance. Dews has played a big role in developing players for quite for longer than the 5 years, including the times Leaning, Rhodes and Lees were coming through the ages to the academy. They are reliant on a pipeline of talent, which must be part of the problem.

I also note that second team has been calling on players this season who didn't make it all the way through youth system, including Geldart, McKendry (may be spelt wrong). This says a lot for what the academy has to offer at the moment.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Next season

September 25 2016, 4:18 PM 

Geldart has been allowed to leave again. Surprisingly, after his departure and brief flirtations with Durham and Derbyshire, Tattersall was invited back to play for Yorkshire seconds at the end of the season. He rewarded this renewed interest by scoring a century.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 25 2016, 4:59 PM 

I know Jack Leaning plays grade cricket in Australia in the winter. I watched him score a hundred and take wickets when I was on holiday in Sydney.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 27 2016, 10:12 AM 

Jack does play grade cricket and has done successfully up until last season, where in 7 inns he scored 100 runs at an average of 14.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk