<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Travelling support -Lords day 4

September 25 2016 at 9:35 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I exchanged texts with a friend about the following question:

Was the Yorkshire support at Lords on day 4 the largest EVER travelling (away) support at a first class county match?

I thought it might be. The friend less sure, suggesting games such as Middlesex v Surrey and Yorks v Lancs in the 1950s might have seen significant numbers supporting the away team. Friend also suggested Yorks, on a Saturday, at venues such as Chesterfield or Worksop in the 70s might have had an even greater support.

I've been to a lot of sport and we had one hell of a following especially when many wouldn't have made the decision to travel until the afternoon of day 3 once the title was 'on'.

Thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Travelling support -Lords day 4

September 25 2016, 10:06 PM 

well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 25 2016, 10:37 PM 

Well I have seen tweeted from somewhere (Lords?) that the overall attendance over the four days was the highest in county cricket since the 60s. Although one stand was closed on Friday, the rest of the ground was pretty full - certainly from mid afternoon. I would have thought 10,000+

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 25 2016, 11:41 PM 

well were you there peter.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 26 2016, 7:07 AM 

I'm slightly disappointed that in the final stages of the season, with only CC games remaining, they couldn't be scheduled to start on a Sunday, as they did earlier in the year.

(Login dpressed)

September 26 2016, 7:29 AM 

The previous Saturday was the Royal London final so they couldn't start on the Sunday, but why couldn't they do a Thursday to Sunday match?

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 26 2016, 8:27 AM 

well were you there peter.

No, i wasn't. had i have been there then i would have less of an idea of the crowd.

i was watching on sky and on friday the official attendance for the day was something like 5850 as announced on sky sports.

can't understand why people's opinions are devalued if watching on tv. You get the best view of close lbw's, runouts stumpings, dodgy catches etc etc. had i been on the ground i would have been asking those watching on tv if bressie should have been given out. it would have been umpires call as just hitting the very top of middle stump....now how many at the ground could tell that?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 26 2016, 8:53 AM 

Yes but you were complaining about the size of the crowd. I thought it was great.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 26 2016, 9:08 AM 

Think I saw a tweet saying it was the biggest County Championship attendance at Lords for 50 years.

I was there days 2 and 3 and really enjoyed the game. The period of Sidebottom coming into bat and getting to 350 was the most tense cricket I can remember, the rain delay just added to the tension. I have can never remember before jumping up and punching the air for a bonus batting point.

Like one of the other posters has said I wish the final day was on a Saturday or Sunday but it probably would have got less publicity and got lost in all the football coverage which is what happened to the 50 over final recently.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 26 2016, 9:32 AM 

I think what's being asked is, what would made you Peter, travel down to lords to watch? That's not a dig it's a genuine question.

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Sep 26, 2016 9:32 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 26 2016, 1:46 PM 

On the subject of travelling support to the CC. I think it would be a good idea to have a new level of membership (Travelling member maybe) which allowed free entry to allow members to watch their own County at away CC matches.

If this was pitched at the right price (e.g £40) then it would be an absolute bargain for some and a worthwhile incentive for others to travel.

If it was done throughout the Championship the £40 levy could be accounted for separately and distributed evenly to all clubs.

Might put a few more bums on those seats!

(Login dpressed)

September 26 2016, 5:20 PM 

I don't think that other counties would agree. Some love it when we visit as they get their best crowd of the season

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 27 2016, 8:32 AM 

what would make me travel to Lords?

Well its a matter of what caused me not to travel.

2 things really,

1. it was live on sky
2. cost and distance.

I did look into it. overnight accommodation £120 plus fuel/train fare pushes the cost to over £200 for a maximum of 6 hours cricket. Thats over £65 a session. Not counting peripheral expenses such as parking/tube costs, food, drinks etc.

Having said that, I would probably have gone had it not been live on sky.

Had I been in London anyway, I would certainly have gone. With a population in London of over 7 million, only 6000 bothered to pay a fiver to watch it.....and this was the highest county attendance at lords for 50 years? no wonder the 4 day game is disappearing.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 27 2016, 8:57 AM 

Last time I checked, other teams were available. Slurrey are the obvious ones, but round my way (Lewisham) some people still hold a candle for Kent, and Essex have quite a bit of support in the East. Then factor in all the immigrants from the 16 FC counties which weren't involved in the game, and the inexplicable minority who don't like cricket. I was there, and it was a pretty good turnout - and quite a number of people were showing up straight from work after tea, so I'm not sure if they were counted.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 27 2016, 9:41 AM 

I suppose sky can be a double edged sword, in it can stop people from going who otherwise would have travelled to watch it at the ground. Although it was a popular decision on here to have it on sky and many would like more 4 day cricket on tv. If there was more cc televised i wonder how much it would affect attendances?

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Sep 27, 2016 9:45 AM

(Login legglance)

September 27 2016, 10:11 AM 

I watched the game on Sky for the first 3 days and, as soon as we got to 350,and the vital point, made plans for the 4th day at Lords.

Had it not been on Sky I would definitely have gone for the whole 4 day so, yes, televised CC is a double edged sword. The close ups, the sight lines, the replays are better but the atmosphere, tension and camaraderie of a like minded crowd are obvioulsly missing.

Apart from wanting to support the team, and, potentially, see history being made, I don't think I could have tolerated another day of poor commentary and poorer knowledge of the game from Allott. Cork and the rest of his cronies, Rob Key excepted.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 27 2016, 5:59 PM 

"well i thought the whole attendance was extremly disappointing.

less than 6000 at the home of cricket for a season showdown between the two top clubs.

...and that with the admission set to a fiver and free for kids and oaps on a nice warm day.

what more can 4 day cricket do to get bums on seats?"

It became a showdown as of 3pm Thursday, only because Yorkshire had reached the required batting bonus points. Maybe folk were unable to attend because of work commitments and had no realistic chance of wrangling a day off at very short notice?

I'm not sure how anyone can be extremely disappointed about the 6k attendance on Day 4, when most Day 5 test matches around the world struggle to get that many through the gate. This is a testament to the strength of County Championship cricket.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2016, 6:14 PM 

Perhaps if the final day had been between two counties in closer proximity the attendance may have been bigger but seeing as Lords had one side closed then any more there and they would have not got in!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2016, 9:58 AM 

Yes, I do not mean to criticize the yorkshire following, which i thought was admirable.

But, really? Middlesex, the top london county had not won the title for 23 years, had a showdown at home, at lords, giving tickets away for a fiver, about the cost of a coffee in london, a bright warm sunny day and less than 5,000 (having deducted the travelling support from G.O.C.) from a city of 7 million turn up.....and we think that is good?

Arsenal get over 50,000 for an hour and half's play with tickets costing £50 a piece, yes i know that is football, but cricket is meant to be the country's number one summer sport.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 28 2016, 10:25 AM 

I think trying to compare cricket to football and you'll always be onto a loser.

When was the last 4 day game that was a sell out in a test match sized ground?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk