<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Travelling support -Lords day 4

September 28 2016, 10:35 AM 

My Middlesex supporting friend made the point, regarding reported attendances, that these excluded members of the MCC, who turned up in substantial numbers on all four days.

He believes the total attendance for the match to be in excess of 30,000, which seems to me to be quite exceptional given the time of year, the sometimes changeable weather and the midweek billing.

Very considerable newspaper interest and social media activity, is a reminder of the enormous passive support for the County Championship. Any crowd in excess of 2,000 for a day's Championship cricket is good. How on earth, in the twenty first century could we reasonably expect much better?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2016, 11:01 AM 

It makes you wonder what the attendance might have been if there had been any effort from MCC, Middlesex or Yorkshire to promote the fact that in effect a 'winner takes the title' match was being played at Lord's. I have already had stuff from Headingley marketing next year's international matches, but not a whimper encouraging attendance at the last two vital county matches this season.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 28 2016, 12:38 PM 

I think that there needs to be a measure of people who follow the game from afar incorporated into the county championship supporter numbers. There are thousands of people who follow matches on Cricinfo, BBC commentary, Twitter and Sky coverage.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to make money from us, so our numbers are largely ignored, if they have ever been measured.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 28 2016, 3:54 PM 

"It makes you wonder what the attendance might have been if there had been any effort from MCC, Middlesex or Yorkshire to promote the fact that in effect a 'winner takes the title' match was being played at Lord's. I have already had stuff from Headingley marketing next year's international matches, but not a whimper encouraging attendance at the last two vital county matches this season."

A very valid point - I had to find ticket information for the Lords match off my own back, to then discover that Day 4 admission was only £5.

Whilst Yorkshire use social media platforms rather well, an e-mail newsletter targeting England ticket purchasers to promote Yorkshire domestic matches has potential to draw larger crowds and increase membership numbers in the long term.

Neil
(Login BCTyke)

September 28 2016, 3:56 PM 

re: suppport for CC from afar

I live in Canada, there is no way I can attend any matches sad.gif

However, I do follow the BBC radio commentaries.

If the ECB offered a package to view matches on internet, I'd probably pay.

Multiply me by the 000's of cricket starved expats (not to mention highlights for expats / UK supporters) and you have potential revenue stream right there

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

September 28 2016, 4:34 PM 

I can remember summer holidays in Devon or Cornwall back in the 80s and 90s and looking forward to the half hour mark on Radio 5 (or whatever it was designated then) when, during the long car journey, all the eight/nine county matches would be rounded up in full.

Nowadays they may well have a featured match, or maybe even two, but I'm not sure if they do the full round up any more.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 28 2016, 5:04 PM 

Similar tale for me David.

After going to senior school in the mid 60's my route home was across the playing field and straight into my grandfather's where a reverential silence prevailed as the tea scores were read out.

The news in those days,like the weather, always seemed to be good although my grandfather never seemed fully satisfied with on field events.

He'd have been at home on here!

Another positive- no mention of football transfers, sackings, or tantrums for weeks on end.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2016, 5:15 PM 

No internet etc in the 70 & 80`s. During work hours, radios were smuggled in and listened to in side rooms on the 1/2 hour to get the scores.

Offices emptied, for 5 or 10 minutes every hour.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 3 2016, 7:56 PM 

Bump!

Back to my original question. Was this the largest ever 'travelling' county championship support?

Other suggestions included; geographically close game from days when attendances were much bigger eg Surrey v Middlesex or Yorks v Lancs. Another idea was games from the 70's when Yorks were away at venues such as Chesterfield or Worksop.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Oct 3, 2016 8:29 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 3 2016, 8:12 PM 

In the 80s my best chance of picking up the score came from Brian Close when he was working on Merrion Way in Leeds and I bumped into him having his fag breaks outside the building. I suspect he knew the racing results better than the cricket scores though.

But yes I suspect based on my experience it would be the biggest travelling support - I for one made the effort to go to an away game for first time ever so suspect others also made the effort

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

October 4 2016, 8:53 AM 

I would say that the travelling support at T20 games at Chesterfield in recent seasons has been larger than that at Lords. Always difficult to gauge numbers in such a large ground but there wouldn't be much to choose between them.
Does give you a good feeling when you feel like its home from home.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

October 4 2016, 9:04 AM 

Morning Nick.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk