<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: Kent

October 4 2016, 3:30 PM 

Thanks i can read what you've wrote.
That presupposes that it was one wanted by Durham. We don't know that. What if any mechanism exists to change a test match venue? Further the financial situation might well not have been that bad then or come to light a year ago as you suggest.
They may well have made money, do we know how well or not they did from the match. You could say how would removing a chance to make money help their financial position?

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Oct 4, 2016 3:37 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 4 2016, 3:55 PM 

"Further the financial situation might well not have been that bad then or come to light a year ago as you suggest."

This isn't me suggesting it might have come to light a year ago, it's written in the ECB statement released yesterday. Take time to read it.

"What if any mechanism exists to change a test match venue?"

There is, Glamorgan have done this previously.

"You could say how would removing a chance to make money help their financial position?"

Playing Sri Lanka in May, a week after a test match at Headingley was never going to be a cash cow, was it?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 4 2016, 6:10 PM 

We don't know the full story so whether or not the Test could or should have been re-scheduled elsewhere is neither here nor there.

In my view if a ground hosts a test on behalf of the ECB there should be a mechanism to ensure that the host county neither makes a killing, nor loses out financially.

A fee should be agreed and any money received in excess of that fee, when all costs have been covered, should be split between the county and the ECB.

If a loss is made the ECB should cover any shortfall to cover the costs and the agreed fee.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

October 4 2016, 6:15 PM 

The statement states they've been working together for a year and nothing else really.

No but i didn't say it was a cash cow, just an opportunity to make some money.

What should the ECB have done, specifically, less punishment or none?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 5 2016, 7:22 AM 

In other news....

Yorkshire have been relegated for playing a weakened team in the last game of the season v Middlesex following a complaint from Somerset.

Somerset have been relegated due to a 200 point deduction for preparing poor wickets for four day cricket.

Warwickshire have been relegated for exceeding the salary cap following the addition of Ian Bell to their payroll after he lost his central contract.

Lancashire have been relegated for being too far to travel to for the other counties in division 1.

So the first division will now be Middlesex Surrey, Hampshire and newly promoted Essex. Kent have also been promoted and Sussex have been given the ECB wildcard entry to the division for having a lovely little ground by the seaside.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 5 2016, 8:02 AM 

Don't even go there.

I'm sure someone at the ECB is looking at the idea of changing Div 1 and 2 into Div North and South.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

October 5 2016, 8:06 AM 

Just to add a mischievous dimension to the discussion.
After Durham's appalling evisceration, Hampshire were reprieved - a club which, like Yorkshire, seems to be towing the obedient ECB line on T20.
Kent's reasonable claim for consideration, seems to have been pointedly ignored - to the pitch where that county is considering legal action.
Someone has already pointed out that the punishment suffered by Durham may be interpreted as a warning to other clubs. Kent is - admirably - one of three clubs who have openly challenged the ECB.
Surely a coincidence!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 5 2016, 11:07 AM 

...it also means just 8 test match grounds left for the "city" T20 competition. Makes things a lot easier for the ECB, getting rid of one of the test grounds.

I am also being slightly mischievous here!!

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 5 2016, 11:12 AM 

At the start of the 2016 season Kent knew that there was to be only one team promoted from Div 1, similarly they knew that 2 sides would be demoted from Div 1.
At the end of the season 2 sides have been demoted, Notts & Durham, one side has been promoted, Essex.
Hard to see on what grounds Kent can object.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

October 5 2016, 1:20 PM 

Exactly! If Durham had been relegated in addition to Hants and Notts, it would be a different matter.

I know Kent are p'd off there was only one promotion slot, but they need to get over it.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

October 5 2016, 1:49 PM 

Again with mischievous intent...

If Yorkshire had been in Kent's position, I suspect our collective view might be a little more nuanced than yours, Fraisse.

For those of us who feel the ECB are, currently, a threat to English cricket, Kent are one of the 'goodies'. I wish them well.

(Login ExileReturns)

ECB Composition

October 5 2016, 2:13 PM 

As I understand it the ECB is composed largely of the Chairmen of the First Class Counties. It has a Chairman, Colin Graves, who was a Chairman of a First Class County, Yorkshire, and I think that the MCC also has representation. Collectively, these act as the policy-making body for English Cricket. (I am not clear whether other interest groups such as amateur, ladies or disabled cricket have any representation). After that it has officers and other employees whose job it is to put into effect the corporate/collective decisions made by the ECB.

I am inclined to share your view that the ECB can threaten English First Class cricket, by its policy decisions. The reduction to only 8 clubs in Division 1 would be a good example. However, this leads me to question just what county members do at Annual General Meetings of County Clubs, and particularly, the extent to which they hold their Chairmen to account. Certainly at YCCC AGMs the abiding impression is one of "nodding dogs".

This message has been edited by ExileReturns on Oct 5, 2016 4:23 PM

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

ian botham

October 5 2016, 3:33 PM 

in yesterday's press Ian Botham stated that he wanted to take a role in the running of Durham ccc but I can remember at the AGM of Yorkshire ccc the chairman asked its members to oppose Mr g boycott for a post on the committee stating they only wanted experienced business men on their committee , so I wonder what Ian Botham thinks he can do that the committee that is running Durham now can't and I bet it's not for free .

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: ian botham

October 5 2016, 5:05 PM 

He can probably attract sponsors as a name and he has global connections to get his mates like Viv to make speaking appearances . And his sky mates too.

His charity wAlks were quite persuasive in getting others involved

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 5 2016, 5:05 PM 

He can probably attract sponsors as a name and he has global connections to get his mates like Viv to make speaking appearances . And his sky mates too.

His charity wAlks were quite persuasive in getting others involved

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 5 2016, 5:08 PM 

It's not that difficult to persuade people to give to and work on behalf of noble charitable causes. It's a bit more difficult to attract investment and sponsorship to an ailing cricket club.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 5 2016, 7:45 PM 

You must have missed the outpouring of support for Durham over the last few weeks then. Their membership looks likely to be boosted, merchandise sales on the up and genuine support for how shabbily they have been treated.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 5 2016, 7:59 PM 

Haven't missed it all. I was talking about large scale corporate investment and sponsorship, not supporters buying shirts and memberships.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 6 2016, 7:39 AM 

And whose name will be on the shirts?

(Login matthefish2002)

October 6 2016, 9:24 AM 

Think Botham would be a good idea as Chairman of Durham if he is willing to put in the time and has people with good business and finance experience to back him up. Would take a couple of years to get Durham back on an even keel again though.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk