<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Durham problems

September 27 2016 at 10:12 AM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

Various articles in the media about Durham having to be baled out by ecb to pay wages and potential for docking of points this season which would relegate them or next season as has happened before when they breached the salary cap.

Easy to see why some of their stars are moving on. Some suggestions that we too have hefty debts but the difference is we have a supportive guarantor and are servicing our debt without additional ecb payments ahead of schedule.

Of course it's sadly more evidence that the new t20 is needed to help counties generate revenue.....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Durham problems

September 27 2016, 11:57 AM 

Ahh, the ECB. So easy to love.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 27 2016, 2:15 PM 

I really do question the wisdom of bidding for international matches. It forces clubs to risk too much and forces too much development.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 27 2016, 2:18 PM 

Thank goodness that bidding system has been scrapped.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 27 2016, 2:21 PM 

Has it? Good news!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 27 2016, 2:49 PM 

Third Ump --- Are we servicing our massive debt??

The debt has been growing in recent years and will go up by another 2 or 3m when the new stand is built, taking it up to around 26m. We only just manage to pay the interest charges each year, but never bring the debt amount down.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 27, 2016 5:59 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2016, 6:11 PM 

We differ f on Durham in that we have been able to still pay what we owe to people on the agreed terms whereas Durham have had to request additional funds from the ECB ahead of schedule and alter the test match fee.

Yes we have debts but we have a structure that all parties are ok with in terms of the repayments to my knowledge

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 27 2016, 6:18 PM 

Seems very harsh on Durham to dock them points, when their debt is about 1/3 of ours, and I do appreciate the different circumstances.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 27 2016, 9:32 PM 

Why not carry out an audit of each county with a view to handing out half of ECB reserves. Every county gets a guaranteed million quid with the rest allocated according to need. It won't happen of course but should do.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 27 2016, 9:52 PM 

I can't see how any club 'needs' handouts. If they need these handouts how come they keep signing overseas players? At least the ECB had the good sense to make sure Durham didn't sign one as a condition of their handout.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 27 2016, 10:32 PM 

Where does the ECB money cone from? TV fees in the main which are the result of cricket played by people who were nurtured by counties. The question for me is how does the ECB justify such a large reserve. If it was a company the shareholders would get a special dividend. Why not apply the same logic to the counties?

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

ecb

September 28 2016, 9:29 AM 

the ECB get money from sky tv then they give each county a set amount of money each year , just look at the spending that Glamorgan have spent on their ground and nobody watches Glamorgan county cricket only 20-20 , most of the money made by yccc goes on players wages and i hate to see the wage bill for the ECB , and the ECB would be nowhere without the grounds of county cricket teams .

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: ecb

September 28 2016, 9:40 AM 

I thought Glamorgan upgraded their ground with backing from the Welsh Assembly and local council who then kindly wrote off the debts last year. There is no way that they would have been able to pay their debts based on their own revenue generation and ecb handouts.

At Yorkshire we have understanding partnerships with Leeds Beckett Uni, the council and Mr Graves. Debts with these are far more preferable to the previous position where we were over a barrel as to the rugby clubs owners.

Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

September 28 2016, 5:54 PM 

It is unsurprising that Durham has had to seek ECB assistance with their finances. The financial scene is now much more severe than when Yorkshire racked up its vast debt and, if I recall correctly, we have rescheduled our loans with the bank, rescheduled our Council loan and subsequently had an amount written off (I'm sure Leeds ratepayers were delighted) and then rejigged everything into hock with the Graves Trust.

Durham are in debt to a much greater extent than they are comfortable with and a massive proportion of of that debt, like ours, has been generated by jumping through the ECB hoops.

Yorkshire CCC is now extending its indebtedness by a few more millions to replace a stand we don't need to keep it in synch with the white elephant floodlights forced upon us and the acres of terracing that are rarely used.

If the ECB is sitting on this £70m pot then it is obscene that counties are borrowing from anywhere else than the ECB. Imagine changing our debt burden to be within the game and paying our interest back into the ECB rather than leeching millions out of English cricket.

ECT
(Login EastCoastType)

September 28 2016, 6:32 PM 

It is not obvious how to solve the problems created by the ECB incompetence of the past 10-20 years, but it is crystal clear that the starting point of any solution is the clear out the ECB hierarchy. No sensible way forward is possible with these people - just more doubling down on the current disastrous direction.

Vic Marks commented that the City T20 proposals were delivered by Harrison, Graves et al on the basis of 'back me or sack me'. I volunteer to help them pack. The county hierarchies should join me.

Another starting point is to realise that cricket's financial problems are as much a cost problem as they are a revenue problem.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2016, 6:46 PM 

It is obscene that the ECB are sitting on reserves of 70M on the one hand, when on the other hand several counties are in huge debt and the ECB are threatening sanctions against one of them. I can not see anything wrong in lending the clubs that are in debt any amount they need at either zero interest or a very low amount, as the money will then stop in the game as opposed to going to third parties, who, in the majority of cases, have no interest in cricket and are just out to make a quick buck.

Why do the ECB need 73M in reserve, spend it for the benefit of cricket!! I would also help them pack their bags and leave, if they are not prepared to do that.

I read somewhere that the reserves are needed in case our monarch dies during the cricket season? Why should that mean reserves are needed of 73m? Are they going to cancel all cricket during any summer, and why would they?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 28, 2016 7:56 PM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

God save the Queen.

September 28 2016, 6:57 PM 

So,being flippant rather than callous or disrespectful,if the Queen pops her clogs in the winter months cricket is quids in.

Hopefully it doesn't happen just before Christmas, the Archbishop of Canterbury would need to rest up before his busy season!

This message has been edited by legglance on Sep 28, 2016 6:59 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 28 2016, 6:57 PM 

Don't forget, the ECB ARE the counties....All 18 chairmen sit on the board so presumably had a large say in how the money is distributed.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 29 2016, 9:09 AM 

Think I read that the ECB think it needs a decent amount of reserves in case a cricket tour is cancelled at short notice.
For example if something like the 7/7 bombings in London had happened this year a couple of days before the Pakistan touring team arrived and on advice on the Government the tour was cancelled.

(Login edthefed)

September 29 2016, 9:43 AM 

Surely the ECB have insurance to cover tour cancellations and one would hope its covered in contracts with Sky, sponsors etc ???
As a % of annual ECB turnover i bet the money held in reserve is a sizeable proportion, more than many other organisations

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk