<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Middlesex deduction

September 27 2016 at 11:37 AM
Jim  (Login Tingleytyke)

Only just noticed Middlesex deducted 4 points for slow over rate in the Yorkshire game . Not sure when it was announced or how the number of points were decided but could have had some potential impact on the final table.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Middlesex deduction

September 27 2016, 11:48 AM 

I noticed on TV when we momentarily saw the scoreboard, that Middlesex were at that time showing an over rate deficit of six. The lights shone out in red. The subsequent employment of Rayner must have mitigated the eventual damage.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Middlesex deduction

September 27 2016, 12:39 PM 

I was at the ground and I don't recall the deficit reducing from the -6. However, these scoreboard indicators are not usually adjusted to take account of other stoppages. In particular, the time lost when Rafiq got hit on the head which must have been worth a couple of overs

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 27 2016, 1:28 PM 

It was -6 on last view at Lords Martin,but, of no consequence, given the result. sad.gif

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 27 2016, 1:59 PM 

Middlesex coach said he knew, had 8 or 9 points to play with if they won

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 27 2016, 2:07 PM 

Surely that's not the point.

The points deduction is meant to be a deterrent to bowling at a slow over rate for the good of the game. Not a nuisance rule that teams can intentionally factor in to their points scoring calculations.

Knowing the over rate is slow but not caring as long as you have enough points really isn't fair on the spectators.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2016, 2:12 PM 

I doubt anyone was fussed about the slow over rate on the last day in view of the tension and drama. Ten wickets going down will have slowed it down.

If anything, a slow over rate had more chance of hurting Middlesex if bad light intervened before they were able to take ten wickets.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 27 2016, 2:35 PM 

As a paying customer last Friday, I never felt conned by the slow over rate. As TU says, there was far too much drama and tension for anyone to worry about it.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 27 2016, 2:41 PM 

In this circumstance I agree with you both, it was an extraordinary situation. I wouldn't be comfortable with captains seeing the over rate as optional though, or openly admitting they have points "to play with". Say for example a team taking a couple of deducted points when playing for a draw against close rivals.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Sep 27, 2016 2:42 PM

(Login dpressed)

September 27 2016, 4:30 PM 

Wickets falling are taken into consideration when working out the bowling rate. You get 2 mins. So 10wickets mean that you are allowed to be 20 minutes late and still not be docked. The umpires also allow for delays .... Eh an injury, a bat breaking, the sun shining off a window etc

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk