September 30 2016 at 10:27 AM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Young Clogger
(Login YoungClogger)

Re: New stand financing issues

October 3 2016, 12:38 PM 

Including me. Ridiculous idea to sell the land and move the Academy to Bradford. Think again.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 9 2016, 1:30 PM 

Not un-expected news, but a delay in the new stand plans. There have been a lot of objections to it. I thought that the announcement to start knocking the old stand down early next year was ambitious.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5249/club-deeply-concerned-by-redevelopment-delay

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Nov 9, 2016 5:26 PM

(Login wibseysa)

November 9 2016, 3:56 PM 

At this moment in time I only live 10 minutes away from
Bradford park avenue,and the building work there is
nearly done,new changing rooms and 9 practice pitches ( nets )
Plus 17 wickets' relayed on the park avenue ground.

This message has been edited by wibseysa on Nov 9, 2016 3:58 PM

Papag
(Login Papag1)

November 9 2016, 5:32 PM 

Even tho I would love to see the development at Headingley take place I cant say I dont agree with the objectors, too often now we see our greenfield sites in our lovely county being bulldozed in the scam of affordable housing for the people, these affordable houses usually start around 300k.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

November 9 2016, 8:16 PM 

Given the parlous state of YCCC`s finances I think it is a big gamble to make the Headingley development, which must go ahead to keep Headingley`s status as a venue for Test Cricket, dependent on planning permission being granted for housing on a greenfield site owned by Leeds Rugby.

Leeds Council have been good supporters of Yorkshire Cricket but they have to take a wider view on sensitive planning matters and the time - pressure being put on them may be counter productive.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Rev up plan B, quick.

November 9 2016, 8:29 PM 

Not much of a surprise here, I noticed the lack of anything but very basic access work last time I passed the South Stand.

The statement reads like a plea to Leeds City Council to help bail them out, with its emphasis on community involvement and visitor spend etc.

I too would love to see the development take place but it's difficult enough to justify all that expenditure, for very limited use, even when your rolling in money, never mind when you owe north of 20 million already.

Quite frankly I don't believe there's a cat in hells chance of the joint development of the football stand being delivered in the next five years. The club ought to grasp that fact and explore what magic can be worked with temporary seating and hospitality marquee's to plug the gap.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

private funding

November 10 2016, 1:47 PM 

the problem is if the money does not come from the ECB or yccc the money has to come from private funding and there is no benefit for someone to invest big bucks , as for selling land off its the old not in my back yard syndrome if the land was in a run down area of Bradford it would be ok .

Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

November 10 2016, 3:13 PM 

Park Avenue always was the best ground to watch county cricket.. if it is up and running again and belongs to YCCC, the solution is simple. Move to Bradford and sell off Headingley cricket ground for housing. Use this to clear the debts and let Leeds Rugby build themselves a new stand. Surely everyone will be happy then.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 10 2016, 4:14 PM 

Except those who live in Leeds... but I sense you may have been being provocative!

Of course we would then have no chance of international cricket which provides lots of revenue so it's going to have to be a huge student block of flats to build at headingley to get enough cash to compensate

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 10 2016, 5:41 PM 

.....if the plans do not get passed, Headingley will have no chance of International cricket anyway, so why not move to Bradford?

Most of the counties that do not stage International cricket make an annual profit and they cope well enough financially. It seems that only the counties that stage International matches struggle to make a profit or have huge debts.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Nov 10, 2016 5:45 PM

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

new ground

November 10 2016, 6:40 PM 

we go back a few years to the move to wakefield it all looks now that it would have been a great move , no planning issues plenty of parking and it wasn't on greenbelt , but nothing will happen the club will get itself further into debt and no way of paying the debt off .

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: new ground

November 10 2016, 7:05 PM 

peter (Login wakefieldfan)
Posted Nov 10, 2016 6:40 PM

we go back a few years to the move to wakefield it all looks now that it would have been a great move , no planning issues plenty of parking and it wasn't on greenbelt , but nothing will happen the club will get itself further into debt and no way of paying the debt off .

I'm not sure that's the case.
Durham built a new ground from scratch & look at the mess they're in .
Hants built a new ground but were only able to do that due to the generosity (?) of Rod Bransgrove & most punters complain about access.
Finally, since YCCC didn't own Headingley where would the money have come from to develop a ground on the Durkar flood plain?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Location, location, location.

November 10 2016, 7:31 PM 

Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've always managed to find a place to park in the streets within a few minutes of Headingley, for free.

When I do occasionally come into Leeds by train it's also a doddle to find a bus going towards Headingley, even if I may have to walk a little way.

But perhaps the major reason I was never sold on the Durkar idea is being able to walk out of the ground at lunch-time and being able to choose whether I fancied a burger and a pint, fish and chips, or any number of sandwich outlets or just to stretch my legs.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 11 2016, 12:38 AM 

Regarding Yorkshire losing international matches, maybe Headingley won't host high profile test fixtures after 2019 if stadium development is affected but no way Headingley will miss out on hosting the World Cup. New Zealand co hosted the 2015 edition using very basic venues (Saxton Oval & Hagley Oval installed temporary seating, portaloos and scaffolding for TV cameras but hosted some excellent cricket).

Since the international allocation is from 2020-2024, is it such a bad thing for Yorkshire not to host major test matches in five year period? Since Durham are not allowed to host test matches and Glamorgan are a liability when it comes to hosting international cricket, surely Yorkshire will still get a decent allocation (a minor test and major ODI every year)

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk