<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Michael Plumb RIP

October 5 2016 at 6:56 PM
Guest  (Login ExileReturns)

It is with sadness that I post the news that Michael Plumb, a long-standing Yorkshire member from Sheffield, died on Sunday 3 October 2016. Michael had been in failing health for some time and it will come as no surprise to those who saw him during the last home game at Headingley that he is no longer with us.

No truer supporter of Yorkshire County Cricket Club ever drew breath; always up-beat and entusiastic, even when things were not going too well. He celebrated Yorkshire Championship victories in 2014 and 2015 in his own particular fashion, demonstrating his genuine pleasure. His seats; in front of The Tavern at Headingley and on the back row of the members area, just in front of the home team dressing room at Scarborough, will seem strangely vacant due to his absence. He will be long remembered among his many friends.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dpressed)

Re: Michael Plumb RIP

October 5 2016, 7:43 PM 

As you say it's a shock but not a surprise. Michael has been looking more & more unwell over the last couple of seasons.

During lunch in the match against Somerset Paula was saying that they should get someone to look after Michael as she thought he wasn't feeding himself properly.

RIP

This message has been edited by dpressed on Oct 5, 2016 8:07 PM

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

October 5 2016, 10:11 PM 

Very sad to hear this news. I, and the other YCCC-watching members of my family, did not know Michael, but we knew of him as a long-standing and much-loved member of the YCCC family. We were aware of his life-long devotion to YCCC. RIP.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

October 6 2016, 8:42 AM 

If Michael Plumb was the frail looking man who, in recent years, occupied a seat under the old pavilion and made regular excursions into the East Stand, I genuinely regret his passing.
He was one of the few remaining 'characters' at Headingley and always ready for a few words with anyone he encountered.
I can''t recall a time when he hasn't been a regular. I first noticed him in the mid seventies when a relatively young (but still frail looking) man.
For me, he is in the pantheon of memorable Yorkshire characters once seen and not forgotten - Arthur Smith, Yummy Yummy Choc Choc, the raffle ticket sellers of the eighties and nineties, the Cheeseman, the old couple with the teddy bears, the wonderful lady with her disabled twins, the stocky, silent short-sighted gentleman who sat on top of the Winter shed with his enormous pair of binoculars - there are still a few others who I look forward to spotting again next April.
Michael was a part of the savour and the sweetness of supporting our great Club. Headingley is impoverished by his passing.
RIP.

(Login dpressed)

October 6 2016, 8:48 AM 

Brilliant post T1950

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 6 2016, 8:51 AM 

How can you overlook Boycotts number one fan in the 70s, the legendary Ron Griffith I think his name was.

He was the gentlemen of West Indian origin who often gave out advice to Geoff from the boundary edge when batting.

But yes, I remember most of the others you recall too.

Sorry to hear about Michael. Don't think I knew of him but don't sit in same areas

(Login matthefish2002)

October 6 2016, 9:09 AM 

I have known Michael Plumb for quite a few years.
I first knew Michael as he was like me a keen supporter of Sheffield Wednesday and we both used to go to the away games on the supporters coaches. Think he had the same seat at Hillsborough for over 40 years.
I believe he used to work for DWP near the bottom of the Moor in Sheffield.

My biggest memory of him was the first face I saw at Somerset when I first went there last season. Was a true gentlemen and always polite and friendly.

Sorry to hear of his passing, will be missed.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 6 2016, 9:23 AM 

RIP. One of those many people I've said hello to so many times without ever really having a conversation. Plus others I have often talked to briefly without us ever knowing each other's names. One of the unique characteristics of county cricket, along with 'Winter well' in September, 'Happy New Year' in April, and many other things without price or profit, but of immense character and value to all cricket followers outside the ECB.

(Login ExileReturns)

Yes TYKE1950

October 6 2016, 2:38 PM 

I think that you have got the right guy. And I agree he was one of the many great characters to have inhabited the seating at Headingley. You mention a few others, to whom could be added:

Still attending:
Bloke in't Mac.
Him wi't flat feet.
"Four for a pound"
Bernard Wilson.
Mollie Staines.
Geoff and Viv.
Track-suit Bob.
WRF's very own Stuart Acton.
The three Daves (Morton, Murphy and White).

No longer with us:
Rosie!
Paddy (scorecards, papers and scrathch cards).
Denis Mayo.
"Stan the Man"
Stick insect.
"Norman Wisdom Type"
Couple wi'th dogs (before their expulsion).

Rope men over the years including Ernest and Bessie, Bob in't shorts, Alan and Ray.

Even Lancashire have TWH!

One could go on..... and on, but perhaps these few should suffice.

First class cricket grounds at Championship matches provide endless opportunities for observing humanity "in the raw".

Of course it was the cycle track and the facility it afforded for spectators to promenade around the ground which made it possible to see these people as they passed by. Something will be lost when the last section of the track at the Football Stand end is subsumed below the new South Stand next year.

This message has been edited by ExileReturns on Oct 6, 2016 2:48 PM

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

Re: Yes TYKE1950

October 6 2016, 3:45 PM 

I was sad to hear that Michael had passed away. I moved back to Sheffield in 1993 to work at "The Manpower". The big, red brick vaguely pyramid shaped building at Moorfoot. Over the years, with government reorganisations, the name changed many times. But essentially, it housed Government Departments charged with Education, Adult Learning, Skills & Work & Pensions. Michael worked on the same floor as me for most of the time from me joining in 1993 until he retired. Michael was the Internet before it was invented. Large Govt Depts ran on bits of paper. Letters, memos, circulars. All sorted in the Main Post Room & then dumb waitered up to a Post Room on each floor. Michael worked in the one on the 6th floor. Every hour or so, he would plod the floor delivering mail to me & the other 6th floor mob. Collecting as well. He was a wireless hub...

He found out I supported the other football lot in Sheffield, not his beloved SWFC. But, he was so football mad he would often go to Bramall Lane if the Dark Side didn't have a game. Even after those games he'd happily give me an upbeat, positive, no nonsense appraisal of the way we'd played. I'd occasionally see him at Hallam FC as well if he could fit it into his football schedule.

Of course, he also found out I followed YCCC. So we had many touchpoints. I think it's fair to say, Michael did not take easily to new working practices. Of which there are generally two a week in the Civil Service. He could kick off like a good 'un. In my entire Civil Service career, I have never heard anyone shout as loud in the office as Michael. Maybe it was the dreaded switch to walking the Floors on the half hour rather than the full hour.

He'd often deliver the mail gently humming the latest ditty from the choristers on the East Bank Kop.

When he retired, it seemed like the entire office had crammed into the main post room to cheer him to the rafters. A joyous bash. By that time, we had email, instant messaging, video conferencing, all that caper. Bits of paper by hand was on it's last legs. His were just about those legs.

He had it all - Wednesday, Yorkshire, The Anglers Rest at Handsworth & the run of "The Manpower".

Silly Old Goat.

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Michael Plumb LBW.

October 6 2016, 4:59 PM 

Sorry to hear of his passing, that's one of the sad things I find every new cricket season, there is always some faces that never see the first New Ball, and you never know who it's going to be ?

Having said he had the lot ? I think he has like the rest of us, had to endure 20years or so of winless cricket while Sheffield Wednesday have faired even worse over these years 😢

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Michael Plumb LBW.

October 6 2016, 8:46 PM 

I last spoke to Michael at Scarborough at the very start of the 50 over game with Notts. He looked frail and old. He was a man who loved Yorkshire cricket and I'm glad there is some love towards him.

Owls talk also has a positive thread marking his passing, its worth a read. 'Michael plumb Owls talk' into google takes you to it.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Oct 6, 2016 10:09 PM

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

October 7 2016, 10:27 AM 

Without wishing to take this thread away from Michael, I always assumed that I was the only one who remembered the 'yummy .... yummy .... choc ice' man. Was he just a Scarborough thing? That was the only place we went in the 1970s.

Young Clogger
(Login YoungClogger)

October 7 2016, 12:45 PM 

A true legend. We used to chat with him when he sat with us for a few minutes at the top of the East Stand, on his way to lunch, or on his way back to his regular seat.

On one such occasion about 7 or 8 years ago he said he'd just had an argument because someone had sat in his seat. The discussion was along the lines of:

Michael: "Excuse me but you're sat in my seat."
Spectator: "But I've been sat here for two hours."
Michael: "I've been sitting there for thirty f**king years!"

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 7 2016, 1:00 PM 

I vividly remember yummy yummy man at headingley and Scarborough and his line about centrally heated chic ices on a cold day.

You used to get scorecards, evening POST, lottery ticket and scratch card sellers all walking the stands flogging their wares throughout the day.

Presume budgets, health and safety, technology boom and Brexit are to blame for their demise. Or is it Boycotts fault!?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

October 7 2016, 1:53 PM 

Yummy was a big jovial Irishman who worked for the yorkshire lottery but he would sell anything. I think he passed away a few years ago.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 7 2016, 4:31 PM 

Paddy was the Irish lottery seller.

Yummy Yummy was the ice cream man from Askern, Doncaster. He came to our house every Friday night in the football season to collect my father pools coupon, a man of many roles. He came to Doncaster as a post war Polish refugee to work in the South Yorkshire coal mines.

(Login dpressed)

October 7 2016, 5:11 PM 

Yummy Yummy chocolate ices is certainly remembered on the NE Upper. He gets mentioned at least once a match ... & Yes centrally heated chocolate ices are mentioned. He was of European origin.

Paddy was the Irish lottery seller in the 1990s, his side kick was 4 for a pound (who we still see from time to time at Headingley). Paddy sadly died of a heart attack during one season. At the time I was disappointed that Yorkshire didn't say anything as at the time he was the visible face of the club.

(Login ExileReturns)

Michael Plumb Stories

October 8 2016, 5:52 PM 

One of my first memories of Michael is of a hot sunny afternoon at Scarborough in 1996. He was there with his mother and it really was a very hot day. Whether due to the heat, or simply due to her familiar approach to interacting with Michael, she became very irritable and gave poor old Michael a real hear-bashing. When I got the opportunity I asked Michael if everything was OK, to which he responded that his mother wanted to go home a couple of days early as "She had had enough!" "Oh", I said. "So are you not staying for the rest of the match?" "Yes I am", he emphatically replied. Adding, "It's my car and I told her that it would not be going back to Sheffield before the last ball!"

He could give the impression that he was intimidated by his mother, but when it came down to what he wanted to do, he simply took no notice of her. This was a recurring characteristic in the conversations I had with Michael over the next 20 years.

This message has been edited by ExileReturns on Oct 8, 2016 5:54 PM

(Login HarrogateOwl)

October 9 2016, 2:24 PM 

A fellow Owl Sid?

Crikey, yes I remember "yummy yummy choc ices" !! It seems a long time ago! He used to come to Yorkshire games at Harrogate and Scarborough, didn't know he was originally from Poland

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk