<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Benefits

October 7 2016 at 9:39 AM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Benefits for next year to be split between Sid and Patto.
It seems a shame that Patto cant have a whole year to himself really..?
Sid has been a terrific player - for us and Notts - but surely he must have had a benefit already...?
I wonder if this was part of the negotiation around an extra year's contract.
I suspect a benefit for Patto could mean a lot for his future health and prosperity.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

patto

October 7 2016, 10:12 AM 

I hope that everybody gets behind patto's benefit year the main reason he as never had the big money that ECB pay just a very honest county pro who gives everything .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Benefits

October 7 2016, 10:16 AM 

I really don't understand benefits these days. Will Patto get much? Recent benefits seem to have a focus on fund-raising for charities, at least publicly. Does the beneficiary take a certain proportion - or none at all?

If Ryan has had a benefit it would have been at Notts. Did this happen?

A new anomaly is the grant of a benefit for centrally contracted players. If the funds go to charity entirely, fair enough I suppose, but why a county should run a benefit for someone else's employee is beyond me. I didn't begrudge Tim B personally - far from it, and I wouldn't begrudge Jonny or Joe personally either, but the latter would surely be able to raise as much money with a couple of advertising contracts.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

October 7 2016, 10:23 AM 

Maybe Patto will be seeking to do something with his maths degree from Leeds Uni??

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 7 2016, 10:25 AM 

I don't know how benefits work nowadays but Patto is exactly the kind of player they should reward.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Benefits

October 7 2016, 12:06 PM 

I believe Sidebottom's award is a testimonial rather than a benefit. He almost certainly had a benefit while with Notts. It is not unheard of for players to receive a second recognition after twenty years. Boycott certainly did.
The first time I recall the proceeds (of a Yorkshire player) being split, was Michael Vaughan. A proportion of his benefit went to the Sheffield Children's Hospital. He also wanted to donate a sum to the Yorkshire Academy but was unable to do so as it does not exist as an entity in its own right.
I regret that sums raised during benefit years are no longer recorded in the year book. I find this a disincentive to giving. It would also be a courtesy where a cash collection is taken at a match if an announcement were made of the amount raised. This could be done by a member of the benefit committee.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

October 7 2016, 12:08 PM 

Agreed, as were Andrew Gale and Richard Pyrah. Ryan too of course, in a different way. However I suspect these things now crop up in contractual discussions and this influences awards as much as anything.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 7 2016, 4:26 PM 

Has to be said, out dated concept which needs to be consigned to history. These are well paid professional sports men. I find the whole thing rather embarrassing.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 7 2016, 5:29 PM 

Agree in many ways, but I ask again, what is the balance between money to the player, and money for their chosen charities? If it all goes to charity it would be quite contemporary in character.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

October 7 2016, 5:54 PM 

I think it's more a way to recognise a great servant than get them some more cash. Like testimonials in football; they don't need money, but commitment deserve recognition

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 7 2016, 6:19 PM 

Sorry to be repetitive but what is the nature of the recognition, money to the player, money to charity, or a split?

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Oct 7, 2016 6:37 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

October 7 2016, 6:33 PM 

I suppose Siddy will be on the sidelines for a month when the T20 is played next year - presumably this is when one of the two months will take place.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 7 2016, 10:36 PM 

It does seem a little bit old fashioned now the players have 12 month contracts etc.

It's only the successful players towards the end of their careers who get them anyway, whereas it is the fringe players who would benefit most.

As long as they stick to golf days and cricket dinners and don't come round with buckets like in the old days. Unless of course the players make clear everything is for a specified charity of their choice.

(Login matthefish2002)

October 10 2016, 10:30 AM 

Don't really like idea of testimonials is this day and age.
If anything raised is for charity then its good idea but asking people for their time and money to increase the bank balance of a well paid sportsmen then I find it a bit distasteful if I am honest.

I am sure Patterson is not financially secure by any means but he is hardly on the breadline.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk