<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Day / Night test Birmingham Aug 17

October 7 2016 at 4:24 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Surprised the day / night test has yet to be discussed (West Indies at Birmingham Aug '17).

Personal visit: Not sure I see the point to it other than to satisfy Sky who'll probably get better viewing figures for the evening sessions as compared to the morning slot. Think other than initial novelty value, won't increase ticket sales over time.

Cant see it being a winner with supporters. Weather could be problematic but the finish time more so. Late nights, hardly child, elderly or next-day worker friendly. A group from my club in Doncaster have been to the last two Birmingham tests, for a day/night they could be getting home after midnight. With work the next day, not attractive.

I had one spell working shifts many years ago. Hated '2 - 10' - morning was wasted waiting to go to work and you finished to late to do anything at the end of the day. Same applies to this idea.

Lets be clear, its all about SKY and what they want. For Harrison not to mention this today,shows the dishonesty of the man.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Day / Night test Birmingham Aug 17

October 7 2016, 4:30 PM 

I am convinced more people are deterred by late finishes than are attracted by them.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 7 2016, 4:46 PM 

Can you point to this evidence that it's Sky who are pushing for day/night tests please?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 7 2016, 4:55 PM 

Advertising revenue for the broadcaster - far higher in evening than morning.

Harrison makes no decision without first consulting his preferred broadcast partner (to use modern jargon).

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

October 7 2016, 5:03 PM 

I cannot see the benefit of this. If you are going to pay for a day at a test match then, particularly at the prices charged, you're going to want to het full value for your outlay, so I cannot see grounds starting to fill up in the late afternoon/ early evening as those working come alomg for the latter sessions.

Those invited for the hospitality packages will clear their day for it regardless of the hours of play.

If you have been at work then coming home to watch on Sky will be of benefit and, for me, they are the main beneficaries as I cannot see who else stands to benefit. Transport home will be harder to find at 22.00 and, for those that travel from further afield, there might not be any running at that time of night.

(Login dpressed)

October 7 2016, 5:03 PM 

Oddly some people are all for it. They keep going on about attracting people after work.

My response is that's fine for people who work locally, but no good for anyone who travels to a match. And try getting home from a match by public transport when it finishes at 10pm at night. There would also have to be medical staff on hand as it can still get very cold in the evening in June, never mind April or May

October 7 2016, 6:00 PM 

On the first two days of the recent England v Pakistan test at Edgbaston there were 17,000 empty seats on each day. 34,000 unsold seats in total and people are struggling to see why it might be worth trying to play cricket when more people are free?
If anyone has any evidence Sky have pushed this then please show me it?

Can anyone tell me if Yorkshire's attendances have increased with the introduction of late finishes on a Friday?

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Oct 7, 2016 6:10 PM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

October 7 2016, 6:21 PM 

The day-night test match between Australia and New Zealand was very well attended but was over in less than three days.
I suspect the pink ball, diminishing light and changing conditions at dusk will have had an effect.

I'm sceptical but not averse to the experiment, so long as the ECB uses the cricketing evidence rather more than the financial evidence, to assess whether or not the experiment goes forward.
It's surprising to me, that the day-night experiment is being taken on in England given existing attendance patterns, the extended summer twilight and the cool evenings.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

October 7 2016, 6:24 PM 

EYT, most of those people who are free to come to the evening session are only free for half (or less) of the performance so there will have to be some allowance made in the pricing to attract them. Discounted tickets for part of the day are similar to empty seats, they reduce the overall income from the potential income so there might not be any gain.

In fact, with the availability on Sky, they might well reduce the overall attendance and resulting income rather than increasing it.However, I am sure the increased payments from Sky will cover that so the ECB will not care and will have even less regard for those who actually attend games.

Comparing the purest form of the game with the contrivance that is T20 is not really comparing apples with apples.

October 7 2016, 6:43 PM 

Leg Glace, what are these increased payments from Sky for switching this test to day/night, I must've missed it when it was announced?

(Login Roundhegian)

October 7 2016, 8:57 PM 

The experiment will take place at the most favourable time of year for day/night cricket, when the evenings are about as warm as they get in England, and sunset time is relativelely early, the same as late April.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 7 2016, 9:17 PM 

The date is certainly sensible, the evenings can be pretty balmy in mid-August. I think it's worth a try and if it fails, don't try it again.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 7 2016, 10:23 PM 

I suppose as long as they are not experimenting at Headingley I can live with it. The ECB won't be satisfied until they have given it a go but one game isn't likely to tell them much.

I can't see it doing too much for either bums on seats or for a bigger viewing audience for Sky. Presume the football season will have started by then as well.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

October 7 2016, 10:55 PM 

I think the main reason for poor attendances at test matches (outside London) is the price to get in. Had a flyer through from Trent Bridge today, lowest Fri-Sun prices (in stands where it's possible to supp ale) for the test match v South Africa, £70. When Sky is chucking in buckets of money those prices are unacceptable to me (I blame the ECB and their ridiculous bidding process coupled with encouraging counties to virtually bankrupt themselves in ground improvements for these prices rather than the counties). Northern fans are always going to be reluctant to pay those type of prices as either a) we simply can't afford it or b) we class it as a rip-off.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Re: Day/ Night test

October 8 2016, 12:14 AM 

I'm not sure whether ticket prices for International games are determined by the host County or by the ECB but feel it fair to mention in this context that YCCC members could buy tickets for the Test v West Indies at Headingley next year in members areas- eg East Stand - for £35 per day. The window is/was for a specific period after which prices would rise by ( I think)£5.I do not consider this to be over priced or a rip-off and compared to the figure mentioned for Trent Bridge seems a reasonable price.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

October 8 2016, 11:56 AM 

EYT, I am assuming that the ECB, in recognition of their willingness to experiment, will expect a quid pro quo for their amenability. You have missed nothing as, so far, no fees have been agreed but I expect the next negotiations to reflect this.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

October 8 2016, 4:47 PM 

On the prices question, I went to the Saturday of the New Zealand test at headingley last year, I think the price was £30 or £35. This is for full day of top international sport, compare that with the prices I've paid to watch mediocre teams at Elland Road and it represents fantastic value.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

October 8 2016, 7:02 PM 

Fair play to Yorkshire, just had a flyer through from Twelth Man (or whatever they call themselves these days) and £30 on the West Stand, good value, albeit the oppo is a very poor West Indies. Still maintain £70 at Trent Bridge, even against SAFers, is a rip-off, especially when Sky are chucking loads in for Test cricket.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

test match

October 8 2016, 7:29 PM 

people who go to test match cricket come in three types the one who go to any sporting events . the ones who get free tickets . the ones who watch their county players playing for the ECB . sorry, the ones who don't know anything about cricket and dress up and get drunk .

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Test match

October 8 2016, 9:20 PM 

Peter - I'm a bit puzzled by your classification of supporters of Test cricket and don't seem to slot into any of your categories.(a) Cricket is the only sport I now watch live.(b) I've never had free Test tickets.(c)I like to think I know a little about cricket after watching for over 60 years.(d)I've never worn fancy dress at cricket (although my dress sense has been questioned).(e)I enjoy a glass or three of the recreational stuff from the bottle but don't recall being drunk.(f) At the time of ordering tickets - usually months in advance -I have no idea which players will be performing.
I have, however, supported YCCC (and England) for many years and haven't felt out of place at Headingley. Should I spend my time elsewhere?
These comments are not meant to be confrontational by the way and are made with tongue in cheek !

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk