<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Strong Yorkshire, Strong England

October 13 2016 at 3:40 PM
Guest  (Login LondonExile)

I mentioned this fact at work today and some colleagues seemed to think I'd made it up, which got me thinking...

Does anyone actually know the origins of the phrase? Whether there was any one in particular who coined it? Or a time that it came into existence?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Strong Yorkshire, Strong England

October 13 2016, 3:43 PM 

The first person I heard use it was Ray Illingworth when he was running the England team in the 90s.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 13 2016, 4:02 PM 

I believe it's much older than that but I can't point to a specific article.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Len

October 13 2016, 4:15 PM 

Along the same lines, I've always appreciated Len Hutton's comments:

"In an England cricket eleven, the flesh may be of the South, but the bone is of the North, and the backbone is Yorkshire." -Len Hutton
""

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

October 13 2016, 4:18 PM 

First time I heard it was in the mid 60s when I was in my teens but again no idea who started it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 13 2016, 4:44 PM 

It needs updating to read

"Strong Yorkshire, Strong England, which then becomes weak Yorkshire", in these modern times of central contracts and England players hardly ever, or not at all, playing for their counties.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk