<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

Re: 1st TEST | Bangladesh vs England (Match thread)

October 22 2016, 6:01 PM 

It was good to see the umpires keep them out until the bitter end even though the floodlights had clearly "replaced rather than enhanced the natural light"

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 22 2016, 8:04 PM 

Dave M;

I think it was only Durham who moaned after losing their last six wickets in about 20 minutes when victory was in sight!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

October 22 2016, 9:38 PM 

Does ANYONE understand why Gary was selected for this game......?
I'll be surprised if Bangladesh get to 150.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 22 2016, 11:59 PM 

Yes, I understand it. It is because Cook and the management are both timid and out of touch. They have never seen Hameed play (or Leach) so they would rather pick the ones they know. We have seen Hameed get 100 in each innings in a Roses match; we have seen Leach take 6-for at Headingley, and we know they're good players.

Having said that, the management treat the players well once they're in the team, and men like Woakes, Ali and Bairstow have responded well to the faith shown in them. Duckett is now getting his chance, which is to be applauded, and he will probably not suffer the fear of failure that lads in his position a few years ago would have.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

October 24 2016, 9:58 AM 

So a bit of a mixed bag for our lads. Bairstow had a very good game. Runs and he kept well in difficult keeping circumstances (contrast with the very untidy Buttler in the ODIs). Root had one innings of some substance. I guess the bigger talking points are Ballance and Rashid

We all agree that Ballance should not have been recalled last year but once he was in the squad for this tour, and given that he didn't actually do anything wrong in the warm up games (two not outs I think) then it would have been illogical not to have picked him for the first game. If they don't pick him for the next test, then this is really an admission that he shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place - had Hameed been picked for this game and performed in a similar fashion, they would still have picked him for the next game based on the policy of giving players a few games.

Rashid is an interesting one. Cook clearly has little faith in his spinners and has less faith in Rashid than in Moeen and Batty. I thought Rashid bowled OK, and could have ended up with more wickets- he was also the most economical of the three slow bowlers. On commentary Cork on commentary noted the defensive fields he was being given - too many opportunities for batsmen to take risk free options to rotate the strike. Had Morgan been the captain this game, I wonder if Rash might have ended up with more wickets?

Are our spinners so much worse than the Bangladesh spinners or are they simply better at playing spin?

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 24 2016, 10:53 AM 

Cook captains Rashid in a similar fashion to Gale.
They don't seem to really trust him, contrast that with Morgan & even Buttler or dare I say it Lees.
However, in low scoring games the temptation must be to give to those whom you believe won't leak runs by bowling one 4 ball per over.
Leach's omission for this leg of the tour has to go down as a mistake, Ansari can only have got in due to his better batting. Mind you Batty is no great shakes bat in hand.
Still a good win for England in alien conditions.
Stokes is maturing into a fine all round cricketer & Bairstow is now getting respect for his keeping as well as his batting.
Re the top order it's just like watching Yorkshire!
Bangladesh will be better for the run-out.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

October 24 2016, 2:22 PM 

What a good Test. I do hope Bangladesh remain as competitive as this for the rest of the series but my instinctive feeling is that they may have already peaked. I also expect England to bat much better in future games. I hope I'm just being typically English with such expectations. Nice to watch a game almost unlike any other we get to see throughout our usual domestic and home international season.

(Login Roundhegian)

October 24 2016, 2:59 PM 

This was quite an unusual test match (historically) in that it was never likely to last the full five days.
Hence you can understand why the captains might prefer the more economical finger spinners to the leg spinners who are more expensive but have a better strike rate. It also explains why Cook would go with the more miserly seam bowlers rather than spinners with two or three tail end wickets to take and only a handful of runs to play with.
I don't agree that Gale doesn't trust Rashid. I've seen him several times persist with Rash after he's bowled three or four overs of dross - Rash finds a good ball, a wicket falls and he starts bowling a lot better and more confidently.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

October 24 2016, 3:39 PM 

Rashid also has the knack of taking wickets with truly awful balls.
i wonder where he will be playing next season....?

(Login Tyke1950)

October 24 2016, 4:01 PM 

Yorkshire - I hope. They'll be much weaker without him.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 24 2016, 4:34 PM 

Based on the comments made by the coach and captain before the Middlesex match re Rashid`s absence, I will be surprised if he figures in Yorkshires plans for next season. But, of course, we will have a new coach by then and possibly a new captain!!

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

October 24 2016, 7:45 PM 

(Login Martinh00)

October 25 2016, 9:38 AM 

"Based on the comments made by the coach and captain before the Middlesex match re Rashid`s absence, I will be surprised if he figures in Yorkshires plans for next season. But, of course, we will have a new coach by then and possibly a new captain!!"

Martyn Moxon said after the event that the matter was closed and that the club bore no ill will etc. Based on that it seems unlikely that he will be given the elbow!

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

October 25 2016, 10:45 AM 

There are some interesting comments regarding this matter in the article by David Hopps .

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Oct 25, 2016 1:09 PM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 25 2016, 10:54 AM 

I'm not sure there are many calling for Rashid to go.
But folk were disappointed.
Moxon seems to have drawn a line under it, we should do the same.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Oct 25, 2016 11:29 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 25 2016, 11:57 AM 

I think a guy's allowed one little wobbly in ten years of outstanding service, and Adil has given me more pleasure, probably, than anyone bar Brian Close, FST and the great Jimmy Binks. Jonny B, Brezzy and Ryan would be up there, too, and Adam Lyth, and that bloke Root who used to be allowed to play for us...so many!

I feel so lucky to have watched two great eras of Yorkshire cricket. Shame about the 40 years between!

(Login Jacobus24)

October 25 2016, 12:20 PM 

Jack Brooks is more Yorkshire than Rashid in my eyes.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 25 2016, 1:41 PM 

Rashid has one blemish on his record. Compared to some of our club's "legends" he's an absolute saint.

(Login matthefish2002)

October 25 2016, 1:47 PM 

I have to admit felt slightly let down and bemused when it was announced Adil Rashid wouldn't play in the last game v Middlesex.
But will give him benefit of the doubt with regard to his reasons of a family illness for not playing.
If the other players have drawn a line under it I see no reason why I shouldn't either. Life is too short not to.

I have really enjoyed the test match v Bangladesh, something very satisfying getting up an hour early to watch cricket on cold mornings while tucking into breakfast.
Still think the schedule of another 6 Tests to go between now and Christmas is a bit of overkill though.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 26 2016, 1:03 PM 

Foe the next test I wonder if England dare drop Ballance & either bring in Habeeb to open moving Duckett down, possibly promoting Ali to 4 or 5 or simply bring in Ansari, promoting Ali to 4?
The loss of Ballance's runs may not have been significant in the last test & who's to say that either Habeeb or Ansari wouldn't have made as many?
However, I think that England will select an unchanged side.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk