<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: 1st TEST | Bangladesh vs England (Match thread)

October 26 2016, 1:40 PM 

I have a feeling Ansari will replace Rashid. If Ballance fails again he won't start in India, although he has been named in the squad today.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 26 2016, 4:13 PM 

Cook, Duckett, Root, Ballance, Ali, Stokes, Bairstow, Woakes, Ansari, Rashid, Finn.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Oct 26, 2016 4:15 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 26 2016, 4:19 PM 

Batty got the nod for First test against India then..

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

October 26 2016, 6:19 PM 

The spin combination needs flexibility, so including two off spinners is a nonsense. Batty should be replaced by Ansari and not Rashid. A problem Adil has is that Captain Cook does not know how to use spinners to best effect, unlike Morgan for example. They must surely give Haseed a chance to open against Bsngladesh instead of waiting until India. Ballance should come home.
I would play Cook, Haseed, Duckett, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Rashid, Woakes, Ansari and Ball for this weekends match.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

October 26 2016, 6:28 PM 

I don't think you can compare the way Cook and Morgan use Rashid. They're operating in completely different formats of the game.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 26 2016, 6:53 PM 

I have to agree reference the formats. It would seem to me that the shorter the format the more useful Rashid appears to be.

I think Cook is right not to trust him at Test level because there is ample evidence he can't be trusted to bowl 6 or even 5 good balls per over.

He will always get lower order wickets in longer format cricket because having a decent googly will always make facing him a problem for mid to lower order batsmen.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

October 27 2016, 9:27 AM 

If Cook is right not to trust Rashid at Test level then why is he in the squad, let alone the team?

I agree that ODIs and Tests are not comparable tactics wise, but even taking Rashid out of the equation, Cook is a cautious and conservative captain. That doesn't make him a bad captain - there is more than one way of winning a test match - but it does mean that there are occasions when a more attacking field would surely pay dividends.

Seems to me that the plan was to allow Rashid to go at 4 an over, but with Batty being more economical as a counterweight. As it turned out, both had the same economy rates (3.4). We will never know, but a slightly more attacking field for Rashid might have seen him go for more runs but pick up more wickets as well.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

October 27 2016, 10:18 AM 

Got to say I really enjoyed the 1st Test. Tight game swinging one way then the other (no pun intended) rather than the flat boring 600+ wickets seen so regularly. Looking forward to more of the same hopefully with the same result. Winning breeds confidence so long may it continue . Though India will obviously be harder I'd stick with what we have certainly for the first couple of Tests

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 27 2016, 1:31 PM 

I don't think any spinner there has ever been could have bowled to the fields Cook set Rashid in Chittagong.

Anyway, they seem to have gone for Ansari ahead of Batty, which I don't disagree with. I saw Ansari for the first time at the Oval last year, and he looked okay, though he is another batsman who bowls, I suspect. Anyone seen enough of his bowling to have a real opinion?

Against Yorkshire in that game his figures were 34 - 8 - 98 - 2 in a total of 407 (Lyth 202). As I say, he was quite tidy, and Batty (1 for 103) didn't turn it either. Rashid had 2 for 47 and Rafiq 1 for 46 in the first innings, while the game was still alive.

Career-wise, Ansari is still only 24, and has just missed an entire 12 months with the finger he injured against Lancashire. Matches 66, Runs 2908 @ 31.26, Wickets 122 @ 34.45, Economy 3.07.

[Rashid is 28 now, 153 matches, 6209 @ 34.49 and 453 @ 34.71, economy 3.56.]

Most of Ansari's cricket has been played for Cambridge University, against County 2nd XIs, or for Surrey in Division 2. I bet Ansari bats above Rash tomorrow, though. One of them will bat at 10, with Finn (in for Broad) at 11.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 27 2016, 3:08 PM 

"I don't think any spinner there has ever been could have bowled to the fields Cook set Rashid in Chittagong."

I'd be most concerned if, after 10 years 1st class cricket and 450+ wickets, Rashid wasn't capable of having a major say in the fields he bowls to.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 27 2016, 4:17 PM 

There wasn't much wrong with Cook's fields when you consider how Adil bowled at times. The number of long hops he still sends down is unacceptable for a bowler of his experience. This was a low scoring test and Cook's fields were understable at times. I love Adil in the county championship but he has a lot to prove as a test cricketer. It'll be interesting to see how Ansari goes but Leach's absence from this tour is a mystery.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 27 2016, 5:50 PM 

To the right-hander, Adil was given two slips and a fairly orthodox off-side field, including a sweeper, which he always has, but the leg-side had three men on the boundary and NOBODY saving the single, no mid-wicket even, where leggies often get catches from mishit long-hops.

All the batsmen had to do was to dink the ball for a single, no risk, against anything remotely straight that was shorter than a half-volley. And it rendered Adil's googly completely unbowlable. The field he bowls to in ODIs, where the captain is compelled to put five in the circle, are far better. In Tests, two or three of those fave can be round the bat - even better.

Set a proper field, and if he can't bowl to it take him off and then drop him. But this was hopeless.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 27 2016, 7:44 PM 

I think Cook was looking at the bigger picture in that he had a low scoring cricket match to win. During the second innings especially he was happy to give a single on occasions to get the lesser batsman on strike.

I'm sure if Rashid, or any of the spinners for that matter, could have bowled well enough to create some pressure he would have responded with more attacking fields.

England's spin bowling is what it is. We are making do with the best of a poor lot. If Ansari or Leach or A.N Other come through in the next year or so then Rashid will be quite rightly shown the door. It's not only his bowling that is poor in Test cricket, his batting goes down several notches too.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 28 2016, 1:55 AM 

Two little anecdotes.

There's a bloke who sits in North East Upper. One day, Jack Brooks bowled perhaps 16 bad balls in 4 overs. We all know he does this, when Bad Brooks turns up. Thankfully, usually, it's Good Brooks, and he has been a great asset.

But this day it was Bad Brooks. Our man in the stands made not a sound.

Later, Adil came on to bowl. His first ball was just back of a length and was played easily for a single. "Pitch it up!" our man screamed at the top of his voice. Every ball from Rashid that wasn't perfect was met with the same response.

Perhaps he too thinks that Brooks is more Yorkshire than Rashid.

Second story. As a young player, early twenties and not all that good, I found myself under a captain who thought I was no good. I couldn't bat and I couldn't field. (Even I knew I couldn't bowl.)

So, I found myself batting at 7 or sometimes 8, and fielding in the slips, where nobody else wanted to field in that particular team. I scored few runs and dropped loads of catches, so the captain was right.

Time passed, different captain. I made runs at 7, won a game from 23 for 6. I volunteered to open the batting when our (talented) opener threw a wobbly and refused. I made runs and won the game. Within a year I was the regular opener. Feeling wanted and valued, I worked at my fielding and became good in the covers, fit and fast. I continued to open the batting and field cover for the next 15 years.

Okay, I'm trying to compare amateur cricket with professional, but people are still people. Right?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 28 2016, 8:49 AM 

I think you are not just trying to compare amateur cricket, which itself covers a huge variation of skill levels, but comparing it with the pinnacle of the sport where very few people have what it takes to compete.

Adil has done very well to reach the elite level and is of course an excellent first class cricketer who has worked very hard to hone his skills. But the X factor that makes a Test cricketer is missing. Tenacity, will power, self-reliance, sheer bloody mindedness, whatever it is he hasn't got it.

We all know he needs to be shown the 'love' to get the best out of him and I, like many others give him that extra bit of a clap when he comes on to bowl or bat.

If he ever writes a book about his Test career I suspect it will be full of excuses about field settings and not being treated with respect by Captains and management.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

October 28 2016, 7:10 PM 

I feel Adil is treated pretty generously at Headingley, and this was true even during his worst period 4 or 5 years ago. His rank stuff didn't get the groans that sort of bowling would from others, and there was a sense of many of us biting our tongues. The reasons include: an awareness that he is trying to develop and execute the most difficult of cricket's arts, the fact that when he bats or bowls at his best he is a wonderful cricketer (I'd rather get to see a ton from Adil than any of our other batsmen except Adam Lyth, never mind his bowling), memories of his astonishing, wonderful debut, and a sense that he is the most important player to have emerged as yet from the Yorkshire Asian communities that we failed to tap into for so long. Not all of those apply to us all, but most Yorkshire followers share some of them.

I hope he's still with us, I'd be really surprised if he isn't. I hope too that he gets most at least of the support I've mentioned. As I've said before, my favourite cricketer but I must admit after Lord's it will never be quite the same. Does he really feel there's something special about Yorkshire, the way Andrew Gale and Tim Bresnan do? I'm afraid I'm not convinced.

(Login Jacobus24)

October 29 2016, 11:10 AM 

If Jack Brooks was perfect then he would be playing for England, these bad balls help keep him away from Test selection, without him we wouldn't have won the 2 Championships. Dizzy falling out with Shahzad was healthy for us, showing the door to selfishness is always the way forward.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk