<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Just Grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

Re: ecb

October 22 2016, 4:46 PM 

Of course, the upside to this is that the purpose of this particular pantomime is to prepare the test players for the day/night test in August so all Test players need to be made available for their counties. This presents a difficulty when each international game requires a minimum of 2 weeks assembling and mind training, group hugging and golf outings before each game.

It seems the ideal date for the day night Championship round will be April 1st.

yorkie68
(Login yorkie68)

re ecb

October 22 2016, 7:44 PM 

Why don't we start a game at 7am? Then we could attract a whole new audience. Night workers on the way home, children could see the first session before school and the members could turn up for the last 2 sessions. Also the game could be shown live on breakfast TV. If the game finished at 2 we could even squeeze a t20 game in as well.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 22 2016, 10:57 PM 

So how will it benefit Sky TV, who is all likelihood won't show any of the day/night county games?

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

October 23 2016, 12:34 PM 

I'm a little surprised by the negativity here (actually, come to think of it, perhaps I'm not). On the one hand, people complain (rightly) that CC games aren't played at the weekend, so people who work/study/go to school can't get to games. But then an idea that allows such people to watch cricket comes up - and we get more complaints.

As things stand, its hard for me to see CC cricket - if I leave work bang on time, and I was minded to go see Slurrey or M*******x, I could get about 20 minutes in at the end of the third session - not really worth it. However, I might well be tempted by 3 or 4 hours.

I understand that it's not ideal for people who don't live near the grounds, and there will be issues with temperatures, but there are no easy answers to please everyone. This idea (once or twice a season) gives more people the opportunity to see live county cricket.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

floodlights

October 23 2016, 4:55 PM 

how can the ECB say that if bad light halts play you can put the floodlights on for a while until it gets really dark then you have to come off and now we will have a day-night game when you can use the floodlights as and when , and I do know that they will use a pink ball .

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: floodlights

October 23 2016, 5:29 PM 

You answered your own question Peter. Well done.

(Login dpressed)

October 23 2016, 6:38 PM 

Yes CS I'm against this. I'm one of those wholans his life round cricket rather than the other way round. Your argument is that they should make my life even more complicated so the those who aren't as Leeds, but live near the ground, can have the chance to see more cricket.

The same argument was used when they started moving Sunday League games to day/nighters. And yes in the first season there was a large crowd. By year 4/5 not only were the day/night crowds own, but they had succeeded in cutting the One Day League crowds.

Championship crowds aren't massive, but it's usually accepted that Yorkshire are among the best supported, probably the best. This proposal is going to happen in the season where we already have one less home match. To me it looks like they are saying that existing followers don't matter.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

October 23 2016, 9:12 PM 

I don't think it's that, plenty of teams have minimal followings at CC games, most teams come no where near YCCC following. This sort of thing is done with those counties in mind.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

Cricket on Saturdays

October 23 2016, 9:27 PM 

My main day for watching live sport (football & cricket) is Saturday but lately Yorkshire have very few home fixtures which include Saturday play - I sometimes wonder what County Cricketers do on Saturdays!

One less Championship match plus a day/nighter which I can`t get to - I`m getting the feeling that County members are now seen as a nuisance by the ECB - we`re a nettle which must be grasped!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

England players for day nighter!

October 23 2016, 9:37 PM 

Thought Tom Harrison on his lunchtime interview with Aggers today seemed to be saying it might be too difficult to ensure the CC day nighters were played when the England players would be available.

The Edgbaston test seems to be designed to give the England players some practice to prepare for a day nighter in the Ashes series.

The round of CC games seem to be designed purely to see how it goes and hopefully pick up some new spectators.

The Big Fish
(Login The.Big.Fish)

Day/Night Championship

October 25 2016, 10:23 PM 

I am definitely not against this and I think, on the face of it at present, it is one of the smarter ideas to come out of the ECB in recent times. (For the record, I am very strongly opposed to the reduction in Championship matches, the 8/10 division split next season, and the prospect of a hideous city based T20 competition).

The things I like about this proposal (at the time of writing):

1. It sounds as though it will be a full round of fixtures - 4 in Division 1 and 5 in Division 2. All 18 counties involved, no silly advantage/disadvantage to anybody and retaining the integrity of the competition.

2. England have a Day/Night Test at Edgbaston in August. It makes perfect sense for the England players to at least try and have a serious competitive match as preparation for this. Therefore I fully expect all England players to be available (though I acknowledge a potential logistical challenge if this Championship round starts on Monday 26 June, when there is a T20 vs South Africa at Cardiff the day before!).

3. Like it or not (and we will hopefully learn a lot more come Edgbaston in August next year), the promotion of Day/Night Tests is certainly going to be around for a while and it is hard to seeing it being scrapped, given the amount of effort and energy being spent in trying to make it a success. I will happily predict that England will have another home Day/Nighter in 2018 and again in 2019. As such, we need to look to work with it and see what it brings.

4. I am intrigued about the novelty factor. I will certainly attend 1 Day/Night at the Edgbaston Test, and if Headingley hosts the Championship game then I will certainly attempt to attend all 4 Days/Nights. It will be something very different and it MIGHT just be a success. Success, in my opinion, would have to be judged by a near normal attendance (compared with Day Championship matches during the week) and that those who attend actually state that they quite enjoyed the different experience.

5. As stated earlier and previously on other threads - County Cricket must keep looking at ways that it can progress with an ultimate aim of growing memberships and slowly increasing bums on seats (or as an absolute minimum, ensuring that neither of those decline). This therefore seems like a very sensible experiment to undertake.

However and with all that said about being largely supportive of the idea, it certainly isn't perfect:

1. The massively congested international schedule AND Edgbaston being an afterthought rather than baked in to the plans from the beginning, ultimately means that a 26 June Championship fixture is going to be very poor timing in respect of the Floodlit element!! The final session will start in broad daylight and it will probably only be the last hour where the lights might make some difference.

2. I'm sure if this could have been planned again from the start, then Edgbaston would probably have been the final Test (7-11 September) and a suitable gap would have been created prior to this for the Championship Day/Night fixture - potentially around August Bank Holiday and still covering the school holidays. The temperatures on an August evening should generally still be comfortable and there will be sufficient reduction in daylight to see the lights in action. And with England players involved, it would have been far better timing preparation wise, as opposed to what looks like being over 7 weeks between the Championship match and the Test.

3. It will be very interesting to see if the "pop in after work" brigade actually happens for both the Championship match and the Test. Personally, I'm really sceptical about this certainly as far as Headingley is concerned. It is still a clear memory that the 17.30 starts for T20 used to see people rolling in after that start and often still arriving after 18.00! Thankfully the 19.00 starts seem to have addressed a lot of this - though I have started to notice people who still arrive in numbers after this! I really don't know how people will respond to just popping in for the final session. The keys to this will be (a) weather, (b) hard marketing and (c) price! (Charging anything more than £5 for the final session would be lunacy - why not be brave and make it £2 or even less?).

I do respect the views of those who live some distance from Headingley. I live just a few miles away and (unless I get a lift) then I can usually be back home by bus in just under 60 minutes. That is therefore no hardship to me - though I might view this differently if I still lived the other side of Huddersfield.

So all in all, for me this isn't perfect - but it definitely is worth a go and is something I will support.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Day/Night Championship

October 26 2016, 12:03 AM 

the number of cc days at headingley i have missed over the the last 10 years can be counted on one hand, but there is absolutely no chance of me sitting till 9.30 at night and then travelling home arriving after 11.00 o,clock. no chance and the folk i have spoken to are of the same opinion.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 26 2016, 12:03 AM 

Listening to the Harrison interview, I felt the major emphasis was the ECB's attempt to 'grow the game'. All these initiatives - day/night SSCC and Tests, city-based T20, etc - have this in mind.

In itself, the aim is laudable.

What they seem not to consider is that cricket already has a large following, despite games being played at unseasonable times and on work days, the latter being unavoidable, of course. Once again we had the old 'three men and a dog' lie trotted out (by Willis rather than by Harrison, I think). We know that attendances can be healthy, and usually are, in Yorkshire. But not only in Yorkshire.

There is a real danger that by introducing D/N first class cricket they will alienate the existing support without attracting any new fans. Same with the Sunday starts last year. Many committed and existing cricket followers like to support their club at weekends, see a first class match midweek. I don't think attendances were any higher on Sundays than they had been on Mondays.

In June and July, they could start the game at 2pm anyway, without needing lights or pink balls. It has been tried over the years by various counties, without success. And in late August/September it's freezing by 6pm, usually, and there's football.

If there is a D/N game at Headingley I will certainly attend, but I may well leave at my usual 6pm if the weather is normal. You get balmy summer evenings in Perth - more comfortable than the roasting day - but rarely in Leeds. That's not being negative - it's simply true.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

October 26 2016, 8:57 AM 

I think that the administrators & paid officials are seduced by the sight of families sitting in shirt sleeves enjoying the balmy evenings in India & Australia & believe that is what will happen here.
Sadly you can count on the fingers of one glove the number of nights throughout the summer when that occurs in England.
The distance travelled argument can never be resolved in a county as large as Yorkshire & the fact is that:
a) Headingley is where it is & there is no likelihood that YCCC will relocate in the near future.
b) more potential attendees live within 60 minutes of Leeds than any other Yorkshire conurbation.

The Big Fish
(Login The.Big.Fish)

October 26 2016, 9:22 AM 

Dave – yes I think it is becoming more widely accepted and promoted that the County game does have a healthy following, something that really came to the fore with the climax to the season at Lord’s last month. However, the vast majority of this following are those who follow through media channels (internet, tv, radio, printed press), rather than part with their hard earned cash and attend in person. The ECB and Counties need to work hard to find ways of converting these followers in to people who will come and attend – whilst at the same time, not bending too far in any direction that will start to switch off the income stream that already exists. This is one hell of a conundrum and one that needs evolution rather than revolution, in my opinion.

That is why I will support experiments like a Day/Night game to see what it brings. If it is judged a failure (reduced attendances and perhaps most importantly, negative reaction from the media), then I’m sure it will consigned to the “tried but failed” pile. But at least it will have been tried. I don’t think it will alienate existing support (unless it is persisted with despite being widely considered to be a failure), but equally I don’t think it will attract many brand new supporters. This has got to be aimed largely at those people who currently follow the game, but not by attending in person.

As we all well know, the average age of the Championship spectator (those who attend) is north of 60. It is most accessible to the retired community. Of our 32 days of home Championship cricket in 2016, we had play scheduled for 5 Sundays (although 1 of those did not take place due to the Warwickshire game finishing on day 3), 1 Saturday and 1 Bank Holiday Monday. So 78% of it was scheduled for traditional working days. We know that introducing more fixtures that include Saturday play is unpopular amongst those who support local cricket. The same can often be said for Sundays too (a frequent cup day in the local leagues) – but I’ve seen some good Championship crowds up and down the country on Sundays and (as someone who is still some way off retirement) I sincerely hope that there is an increase in Sunday scheduling, especially for the September fixtures when there is no obvious reason that they take place entirely during midweek.

Make the game more accessible to the working population!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 26 2016, 9:59 AM 

You can understand Willis' comment. If many players played county cricket with the level of commitment he showed, they'd be lucky to get three men and a dog.

(Login ExileReturns)

October 26 2016, 10:00 AM 

My main concern is that the introduction of Day/Night fixtures into the County Championship, even with floodlights and pink balls will result in more time lost to bad light.

(Login dpressed)

October 26 2016, 12:25 PM 

BF .... the September matches are mainly played midweek as there are finals or semi finals being played at weekends. In the old days the teams playing said finals just moved their matches (I remember turning up to a Sunday League match at Headingley played during thev week because we'd been in the 2001 C&G final). But now they prefer to leave the days free of other cricket

(Login matthefish2002)

October 26 2016, 1:58 PM 

I believe the finals of the one day cup will be as early as July next season and the T20 will be late August again so we should be ok for some weekend Championship cricket in September 2017.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

October 26 2016, 9:36 PM 

Some excellent balanced posts showing how difficult it is going to be to get new bums on seats for championship cricket without losing some of those already attending.

From a purely commercial point of view getting a few hundred high spending groups in for an evening session of cricket, and drinking, would go a long way to mitigate the loss of a few dozen members wanting to get home in time for dinner (tea if you like).

You only need to look at football and rugby to see that there are plenty of people who quite like being out after dark. I know it's not the South of France but most August/early September evenings are likely to be a damn site warmer than the first few early season games at Headingley in April.

I'm not confident it will work but quite happy to see it being tried for a season or two.

I'm surprised more initiatives aren't being made to increase the natural audience for championship cricket, ie retired people. After all we are all living longer and need things to do.

Perhaps some half price introductory offers on the first years memberships might get people hooked, it works for Sky!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk