<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Second XI and Academy players

October 24 2016 at 7:11 PM
Etchesketch  (Login Me4791)

Does anybody know anything as regards the futures of the younger players.Normally by now you would have heard of contracts being signed etc but nothing.The likes of Mosun Hussain and Jordan Thompson are 19 and 20 so must be coming to the end of their academy status.Also dont know the situations regarding Wainman and Callis who is 22 but has not been on a full contract as far as I am aware.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Second XI Academy players

October 24 2016, 10:38 PM 

It is not so easy finding out about Academy players as it used to be. James Wainman, however, has been a second team capped player for over a year. Eliot Callis is not yet quite twenty two but I agree that a decision on his future must be pending if it has not already been taken.
There appears to have been total silence about Mosun Hussain and Jordan Thompson. Towards the end of the season Thompson was taken on one side by Ian Dews and a long conversation ensued. Shortly afterwards a similar conversation took place with his father. The significance of these conversations is, of course, unknown.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Second XI Academy players

November 2 2016, 10:30 PM 

I would hope Callis is retained as I thought he did well and it was injury that curtailed his season.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Second XI Academy players

November 4 2016, 10:28 PM 

JollyD sees far more of these players than me, but I've seen enough to offer some comment.

Thompson is a very useful cricketer and his bowling has most definitely improved of late, but probably just below the required level with the bat and bowling not strong enough to compensate.

Callis, sorry but not quite good enough. I expect he'll leave this winter. The decent first team score v Pakistan A is a 'red herring'.

Wainman, as with Callis, I expect he'll leave this winter and its increasingly difficult to see a future for Ben Coad with Barnes and Warner moving up and Josh Shaw back from his Gloucester loan.

Hussian - I like him as a person when I've seen him around and hope he makes the grade, haven't seen him enough to really judge but when I have he's definitely got ability but my interpretation is that shot selection and a failure to read the game situation have been his downfall.

Spinners - I'd assume Carver, Logan and Shutt will be around next year and from the three my long term bet is Logan.

An interesting one is Ryan Gibson. If, and it's a big if, he can tighten his defense, improve his shot selection and realise he cant score at better than a run-a-ball EVERY innings he might make something. Bowls a bit but this seems to be coming to an end and is an outstanding fielder. Time however is moving on and next year needs to see him push towards the first team. Chances are probably against.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2nd eleven and Academy players

November 4 2016, 10:55 PM 

For someone who doesn't see much of the younger players, Sid, I reckon you have made some shrewd and perceptive deductions there.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Wainman

November 5 2016, 7:41 PM 

Reading the Sidebottom intereview this week he mentions Wainman when he's talking about next season so he is either under contract or has signed a new one.

Ibby3
(Login ibby3)

Re: Wainman

November 6 2016, 7:28 AM 

I understand Pudsey St Lawrence have enquired if they can have Jordan Thompson back for the 2017 season but have been advised he is staying with the academy so presumabley he has received an extension to his deal.
I personally would be suprised if he makes it a Yorkshire though.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Wainman

November 6 2016, 1:44 PM 

Unless the rules have changed recently, each county is allowed to have up to 12 players in its academy. At the end of the season in which the player reaches his 19th. birthday, the county must either offer him some sort of a contract or release him. The contract would normally be that of a junior professional.
Two years ago, Yorkshire introduced an interim level of 'Senior Academy' player. Eliot Callis and Ryan Gibson were the first players to be offered this 'half-way house' position. Shortly afterwards Gibson received a second eleven contract. The difference between 'Senior Academy' player and 'Junior Professional' is almost entirely related to the level of remuneration. The ethics of keeping a young player dangling by a thread of hope can be debated.
Given his age, it seems that, if the story (above) is correct, Thompson must have been offered a senior academy position.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Wainman

November 7 2016, 9:38 AM 

If that's the key then Callis had had two and possibly a third year of being a senior academy player. Seems a bit strange that they wouldn't have made their minds up by now bearing in mind he is 22.You would expect the senior academy status to be like a one year extension to decide one way or the other as seemed to happen with Gibson who made the step up after his year.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk