<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Violence against Umpires on the up :-(

November 6 2016 at 6:19 PM
Mark Smith  (Login spikeyboy60)

Hi all
Has anyone seen this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37865718
I am looking to get into umpiring and feel this is a disturbing story
Cricket should be played with respect to everyone...team mates,opponent and officials
If it's getting to chavvy levels,as football has,I might not bother trying my hand at standing in the middle
It mentions penalty runs...the laws already allow for this so perhaps they should be applied much more....in the same way as they should be more rigorously applied to slow bowling...but that's a different receptacle of seafood !!!!!
Opinions please

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

Re: Violence against Umpires on the up :-(

November 6 2016, 7:39 PM 

Sad but not surprising, the game has been going down a dangerous path for a while. This is where international cricketers need to set the benchmark, and the likes of Stokes, Broad and Anderson carrying on as they do sends the wrong message.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 6 2016, 8:06 PM 

How many umpires have Stokes, Broad and Anderson attacked?

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 6 2016, 9:09 PM 

They've set or maintained a tone which creates an atmosphere where verbal aggression and abuse are much more accepted. That makes it a much easier step to actually physically threatening someone. I don't think they give a moment's thought to the impact their conduct might have in the game at large.

The irony is all sorts of places - post offices, railway stations, buses, have notices saying that abuse of staff will lead to prosecution. Umpires used to be sacrosanct. Now they're left to look after themselves.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 6 2016, 9:28 PM 

Broad is a petulant cheat and the less said about Anderson the better.

November 6 2016, 9:33 PM 

How is Broad a cheat?

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

November 6 2016, 9:40 PM 

Agreed. It's no coincidence that they're all large, physically intimidating men. That buffoon Stokes was demanding more leniency from umpires towards sledging only last month, on the basis that 'fans want to see passion'. I don't think it's true that 'fans' necessarily want to see that kind of 'passion' (if you're actually at a game you can't tell what's going on in the middle anyway), and even if they did, there have to be some standards maintained for the wider good of the game.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 6 2016, 9:43 PM 

"I don't think it's true that 'fans' necessarily want to see that kind of 'passion"

Agreed. The last thing I want to see is ugly threatening behaviour from big "hard" blokes. If I wanted to see that I could go into the centre of Leeds on any Friday or Saturday night.

November 6 2016, 9:51 PM 

I'm unaware of Stokes saying 'fans want to see passion' but I'll take your word for it he did.
I'm certainly bemused what their size has to do about anything though. One of the biggest sledgers in recent history was Warne and I'd describe him as physically intimidating.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 6 2016, 9:54 PM 

Stokes told the BBC: "We're trying to win a game here playing for our country, so give us a bit of leeway."

England's vice-captain for the one-day series in Bangladesh also claims some fans want players to sledge each other.

"They like to see passion and desire to win, so I think there could be a bit more lenience towards stuff like that, definitely,"

This message has been edited by twelthman on Nov 6, 2016 9:55 PM

(Login Jacobus24)

November 6 2016, 10:04 PM 

Ashes 2013: Stuart Broad is a blatant cheat - Darren Lehmann.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/23778598

November 6 2016, 10:06 PM 

Don't disagree with anything he says there and also agree that quite often umpires getting involved does blow situations up more than it helps sometimes.

November 6 2016, 10:09 PM 

Right, so in a thread about showing respect for umpires your contribution is to slate a player for accepting the umpires decision? Couldn't make it up really.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 6 2016, 10:35 PM 

The fact that you're defending someone like Stuart Broad shows how much bias you have towards England.

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

November 7 2016, 8:21 AM 

Warne was the joker in a playground mob; Broad et al are playground bullies. Do you mean to say that when Stokes puffs his chest out, swears and advances belligerently towards an opponent, that his physical size is neither here nor there?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Couldn't make it up!

November 7 2016, 8:44 AM 

Well of course the whole thing is down to letting oik's play a game designed for gentlemen!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Couldn't make it up!

November 7 2016, 9:30 AM 

Not a Broad fan - though he surprised and impressed me for Notts at Headingley in 2015, but the cheat business is ludicrous, and not one of Boof's finest moments. Broad edged a ball to the wk who knocked it to slip. The Aussie media talked nonsense about him edging it to slip and refusing to walk.

Nevertheless Broad is petulant and surly. I can perfectly accept him saying he doesn't walk but leaves it to the umpire. The natural flip-side of that should be accepting it when opponents do the same off his bowling, but when that happens he tends to throw his toys out of the pram.

I used to umpire a lot of colts' matches. A couple of years back I stood in in an emergency and was amazed at how much the atmosphere had altered in five to ten years. Easier to deal with kids. I started to tell one of them who'd been grumbling that his off-drive would be more effective if he got his elbow higher, and we quickly agreed that we'd leave each other to get on with our own roles in the match without any further comments. An adult might have thumped me.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 7 2016, 3:59 PM 

The article strikes me as a bit of sensationalism with a lack of detail about the type of abuse, when it occured and what level of punishments respective leagues issue. How can percentages be used if the number of umpires are in "hundreds", it could mean anything from 101-999.

It would be interesting to know what types of punishments that are issued in the Derbyshire area, because verbally abusing an umpire carries a six match ban in a local league I recently played in and captains are held responsible for player conduct. For what it's worth I wouldn't be deterred with the article and some local leagues have umpires shortages to a point where lower division fixtures are in danger of not even having one umpire at a game.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 7 2016, 6:25 PM 

In the end if you can't get umpires you will struggle to get a game. It's up to clubs and skippers to get hold of this and nip in the bud just as much as it is for the authorities to hand out suspensions.

Yes some of the named England players set a poor example but they are fined out of their match fees if they overstep too far but none have been violent to umpires. They do of course have DRS to fall back on if they don't like a decision but sadly your average club third team won't offer that luxury.

I think sledging comes in various forms. The good stuff is funny rather than physical threats or foul language. But the Hughes legacy that promised a return to gentlemenly behaviour lasted very little time at all.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 7 2016, 8:01 PM 

In the professional game there seems to me to be an increase in the number of players being hauled over the coals and fined or reprimanded. The umpires and match referee seem to have things under control.

Perhaps the level of the fines should be looked at, especially for a second or subsequent offence. We all make the odd mistake and it might be best to hit the repeat offenders hardest.

On an amateur level I remember similar shock headlines about violence towards football and rugby refs. Sign of the times I'm afraid.

People going into umpiring should take a good look at themselves and be sure they are doing it for the right reasons. If you suspect you might be a bit of a control freak, think again. Affable chaps who love the game are very unlikely to come into much conflict.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk