<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Favourite day of 2016

November 10 2016 at 9:15 PM
Sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I've been meaning to post this for a while. My favourite days from the 25 days I saw. In reverse order:

3rd: Notts at Scarborough in the 50 over comp. Strong teams, a sea-saw game, last over finish, old fashioned and large Scarborough crowd, sunny day, high quality batting and bowling by both sides.

2nd place: Lancs at home in the T20. Great night. Good crowd, sedate in the Trueman lower where I was, a bit more raucous on the western terrace. Close enough to be exciting, last over win, bowling them out to defend a small total, rain sweeping in late on under the lights and a perfect illustration of the saying 'catches win matches', the best boundary fielding I've ever seen by any team, ever.

1st place: Yorks v Notts 2nds away at Eaton College on the hottest day of the summer, that 90c+ for a few days in July. The day was perhaps a bit of a metaphor. I've seen enough 2nd team cricket to know you need to take your own seat. Pulling off the M1 at the appropriate junction, the air in the car goes 'blue' (I'm on my own) as a realise I've forgotten my chair. I arrive 10:45am at a beautiful ground, my first visit and find several of the faithful seated under shaded trees behind the bowlers arm. The best I can do is a splintered park bench in full sun at extra cover! I take it. As I sit, voices carry across the field 'someones sat on it' meaning me as a couple of old boys wondered over. We squeeze on together. There's a crowd of 30, space to spread and I'm unnaturally close to these pensioners from Burton. Now things get better, they ask if i'd mind moving the bench into the shade and behind the bowlers arm (best part of 75 yards), I don't and rather comically we drag this thing around the boundary. We make friends, another of their friends joins us, they know the game inside out, there wonderful company (both are Derby and Notts members as well as being season ticket holders at both Derby C and Burton FC, one was the ex groundsman at Burton)and by the end of the day we're swapping phone numbers. The metaphor is about relaxing, enjoying, new company, unexpectedly positive outomes and not worrying about forgetting your chair.

Yorks were 160 ao

This message has been edited by sid-don on Nov 10, 2016 9:16 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michael Missett
(Login bumpersofstretton)

Favorite Day 2016

November 11 2016, 9:33 AM 

I was there as well, wasn't that the first match Sidebottam played in after his injury. I don't remember the episode with the bench.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Favorite Day 2016

November 11 2016, 11:23 AM 

Lovely post Sid.

Yes, the best days aren't always about what's going on out in the middle.

I have fewer to choose from sadly but my top three would be

Third - day 2 of the last match v Middlesex at Lords. First time at Lords to see Yorkshire since 1987. Arrived at lunch just as we dismissed Middlesex so time for a lap that was curtailed by building work on one side and to take in the beer festival. Every match should have one. Then perfect seat in their equivalent of NE Upper at media stand end. Then disaster as we tumbled to 33-4 but then pride as Bres Hodd and Rafiq dug us out the hole we were in.

Watching the Middlesex faithful get nervous angry agitated gave me some satisfaction. We all know the eventual outcome but that day was worth the trip to London to see competitive cricket played at its best at county level.

2nd - home win over Warwickshire at Headingley when we utterly dominated opponents who were supposed to put up a stiffer challenge . The difference in the two skippers stood out despite both being poor with the bat. The team ethic and spirit of our side shone above the opposition who may have shouted and clapped louder but lacked any body language or performance to back up their chatter.

1st - the day before the 2nd one above for similar reasons! Reminded me of all the reasons why I love watching our team

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 11 2016, 9:39 PM 

Michael: Yes it was the game when Ryan was returning from injury. The bench started on the square boundary opposite the college and we dragged it to our right and therefore round towards the pavilion. Thinking back I really must have been enjoying the company of my new friends, at lunch they left the original bench and went to sit at the opposite end on a newly vacated one. I tagged along with them. I sure I was welcome.

The 160ao was enough for a first innings lead but the game was lost when we only made 70 odd in our second. Outfield was long and every boundary seemed to be up hill so the 160 was worth, say, 250 on some grounds!

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 10 2016, 8:07 PM 

My favourite day of 2016 was watching the Surrey CC match at Headingley on Day 1, taking in the glorious sunshine and making full use of the space underneath the North East scoreboard with a couple of others. Then out of nowhere, this recognisable bloke appeared from the stairs and very politely asked if he could get past. Getting up from a slumber and clearing a couple of items on the floor, we naturally let the bloke past so he can take a seat further along.

After a double take, it turned out to be no other than former England Rugby coach Stuart Lancaster. For a prolific sportsman at national level to be casually taking in a spot of county cricket like a regular spectator just seemed surreal.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 10 2016, 9:43 PM 

Very fond of his cricket, saw him a couple of times in 2015 when he still was the England coach. I'm sure he could have got an invite upstairs but he was quite happy in the Northeast upper.

He probably picked up the YCCC bug when he was academy then first team coach for Leeds RUFC/Tykes/Carnegie whatever they were branded at the time.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 11 2016, 5:45 AM 

I think I would have to go for the first day v Notts at Scarborough. Huge crowd, the sun shone and North Bay was at its glorious best. On the field, Yorkshire recovered from 51 for 6, through Hodd and Rafiq, and went on to win the game.

Usually, I would have a 2nd XI or age-group game amongst my favourite memories, but the scheduling last season made it difficult to watch these games if you were following the Championship. Should be better in 2017, with the Friday starts.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 12 2016, 1:17 PM 

Cricket wise I would say my favourite day of 2016 was the One Day game v Lancashire at Old Trafford.
I had already booked the day off work a few weeks before and if I had known the weather forecast I would not have bothered which was awful. I set off anyway more in hope then expectation, got to Manchester early and went round a couple of the museums, had something to nice to eat and then saw us win by a record margin. And only 30 mins I think were lost to the weather.
The stand out moment was Butler (fantastic player) going for a duck and jumping up to punch the air.
I nearly caught the wrong train home and ended up somewhere in Cheshire at midnight but luckily realised just in time.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

December 12 2016, 9:27 PM 

I think the one dayer at Scarborough v Notts was really exciting, but for pure Yorkshire cricketing pleasure the 2nd day of 4 day Championship game v Surrey at Headingley in early May still makes me smile to remember it.

The weather was really nice as I remember and I have never clapped so much as I did as Bairstow and Root put on a record fourth wicket partnership of 372 in only 67 overs.

Stunned when Bairstow lost his wicket for 198, how dare they!

We were all a little bit anxious about when the first win would come along and this days cricket nailed the win, despite all the weather could do during the 3rd and 4th days.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk