<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seth Rollins
(Login seththemanrollins)

New coach

November 13 2016, 1:55 PM 

Gale will be club president by the time he's 40 at this rate!

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: New Coach

November 13 2016, 2:01 PM 

In the article it says that, just a few months ago, Gale dismissed the idea of coaching as coming too early in his career.

The article seems to be certain of it's veracity so, maybe, the coaching job was Gale's only choice? sad.gif

If so it's a very poor way to select for such a vital position unless he's going to have a triple role as coach/captain/batsman.

it will be very difficult for him to justify his selection if he carries last year's orm into this season.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 13 2016, 2:09 PM 

James Taylor tweeting it might be Gale too and supportive of the appointment as am I. We need continuity with Dizzy going and Gale provides this as skipper or coach. He is an intelligent bloke who knows his form has gone and it hadn't looked like coming back this season.

He knows the players and he can help nurture Lees into the skippers role. He can't possibly coach and still play. Illy may have tried it but the game has moved on.

I'm happy with it if it is him. Not seen a better option from outside touted about.

MO
(Login MaidenOver)

November 13 2016, 2:12 PM 

Andrew Gale would probably make a good second team coach but I can't see him following Dizzy.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 13 2016, 2:33 PM 

Gale would certainly fit the long term and player development criteria. I certainly wouldn't expect him to work miracles with his lack of experience and holes to fill in the side plus the change of captaincy.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 13 2016, 3:27 PM 

Guardian is reporting Gale has got the job. I am underwhelmed.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

New Coach

November 13 2016, 3:32 PM 

Andrew Gale became a level 3 coach eight or nine years ago. At that time the ECB deemed him too young to move to level 4. It seems very likely that he now holds that award, though I have not seen it in black and white.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 13 2016, 4:04 PM 

This would be a very bold move but I still think it's too soon for Gale to step down as skipper.

Jacobus - why are you so obsessed with replacing Hodd when he's not going anywhere, no matter how terrible you think he is? We have two experienced keepers and the next in line will come from within (Read probably?).

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 13 2016, 4:31 PM 

I'm comfortable with this but, personally, would have looked to Australia for our new man. We've always been rewarded when looking outwards (Clarke and Gillespie) and internal appointments (Illy, Moxon and SO) have never really taken us forwards.

Do we assume JG steps down as captain? Steps down as player?

If so, given for the entire 2017 season with the amount of international cricket being played, we'll have Lees, Lyth, Leaning and probably Ballance. The batting looks light. We'll need reinforcements.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 13 2016, 4:40 PM 

Andrew had dropped several hints that he may not be continuing as a player next season. If this rumour is true, we now know why.

We have a big hole to fill from 3 to 6, as still doubts over Rashid judging on comments made by our then skipper at the end of last season along the line of "I only want players in my team who want to give everything to the team". There is also a massive amount of 1 day International cricket which will rule Rash out for well over 1/2 of the season anyway,even if the rifts are healed.

Could be Lyth, Lees, XX, XX, Ballance, XX, Bresnan, Hodd, and the 3 seamers.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Nov 13, 2016 5:33 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 13 2016, 4:53 PM 

From being linked with Paul Farbrace and Brad Hodge to the current County Championship skipper, this potential appointment is more than underwhelming. I hope this is a false report from an odious newspaper.

There is no logic in appointing Gale based on continuity when Moxon can assist with any transitional period. Moxon might as well return to running 1st team affairs and a bowling coach is appointed as replacement for JG.

Surely of the 20 candidates considered, one of them has white ball credentials and is something Yorkshire need for a number of reasons. Not only to crack the Twenty20 and 50 over competitions, but to increase domestic attendances (especially Twenty20) when Headingley's international future looks uncertain.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

Good bye Adil?

November 13 2016, 5:00 PM 

This is 3rd hand info from another forum

"A mate went to Andrew Gales benefit dinner, and in the q&a session, a question was raised about Rashid.

Gale answered extremely honestly and said that Rashid wouldn't be made welcome in the Yorkshire dressing room and it would be hoped that he will find a new county."

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Good bye Adil?

November 13 2016, 5:31 PM 

I don't know how reliable this Ali Martin from the Guardian is but it does look like a convincing report.

Not looking again until it is official.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

November 13 2016, 6:14 PM 

It's the appointment I'd hoped for to be honest. Was unbelievably impressed by the way he came across in the cricketing Yorkshire programmes. Seems a real leader. However I may be wrong and completely naive!

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

November 13 2016, 6:25 PM 

Well I'm perfectly happy with this appointment. He knows the club inside out, what works and what doesn't and will hopefully continue Gillespie's good work

If we can sort out positions 3-6 in the County Championship: consisting of Ballance, Brennan and two others I still believe we can be a real force next season. And we seemed to have cracked the one day cricket code towards the end of last season so if we can carry on our momentum in those formats we can have a successful season

(Login HalfTracker)

November 13 2016, 7:26 PM 

As with most here most underwhelmed.
Typical Yorkshire (Not the county but us as a race) take the cheap option

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Re: New coach

November 13 2016, 7:47 PM 

If reports are true and Gale is to be the new coach, all I can say is that the calibre of applicants can't have been particularly high. To me, it does not seem a good idea to go direct from the playing staff to the coaching/management team.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 13 2016, 8:51 PM 

If Yorkshire announced the appointment of someone who has won two county championships, achieved level three coaching in his early 20s went on to found a successful coaching business through which he has coached hundreds of young cricketers and is still in his early 30s I for one would be impressed. There is a legitimate debate to be had about external v internal appointments but I don't see him as a poor option

sid-don
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 13 2016, 8:59 PM 

Overall I'm more positive about this than most but how the situation with Rashid is handled will be very interesting and an early test of AGs skills.

Fences must be fixed and AR returned happily to the fold. That's man management, casting him aside is self defeating and short sighted. I'm absolutely convinced JG would have found a way and the new management need to do likewise. AR leaving would be an overreaction.

If, and its a big if, the views mentioned earlier are an accurate reflection of AGs position, then it'll be interesting how MM and Mark Arthur react. I hope they'd overrule him although you'd expect how this will be resolved has been agreed with all parties, AR included.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 13 2016, 9:42 PM 

Daily Mail speculating Ballance as club captain.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 59 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk