Leaning
Ballance
Bresnan
Rashid/Rafiq
Hodd
Patterson
Sidebottom/Willey
Brooks/Plunkett

Assuming no Root & Bairstow for the vast majority. Rashid (assuming bridges mended)/Willey/Plunkett also will miss a fair amount with ODI's (Rashid for tests?).
That looks a strong and potentially very settled batting line up (I've still got a lot of faith in Leaning) And seam bowling looking strong, hopefully with Fisher to break through into CC at some point.
How many people have won the championship as Captain and coach at the same county?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Re: New coach

November 13 2016, 11:13 PM 

The above batting line up is one international call up or injury away from disrupting the team. Only back up with 1st team experience is Rhodes and he doesn't seem to have a fixed playing role.

That batting line up doesn't fill me with confidence for the T20 Blast, at least one aggressive batsman short. I hope Moxon has identified some county batsmen as well, otherwise next year has potential to become a very disappointing season.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

November 14 2016, 7:18 AM 

I cannot see the logic of why anyone would happy with Hodd as the first choice keeper.

These days in Year or CC, your 7, 8 batsman are hugely key.

Lyth
Less
Overseas
Balance C
Leaning
WK
Bresnan
Rashid
Patterson
Brooks
Sidebottom

Key positions remain what were last year's problems. A number 3 and a keeper.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 14 2016, 9:08 AM 

Hodd made some contributions with the bat towards the end of the season which were 'hugely key'. We've been discussing this off and on for some time without anything very clear or very new emerging. It seems to me, to bring together various earlier posts:

Hodd does enough with the bat to be ok at 7, and an asset at 8, which is where he would appear in a team with Bresnan and Rashid (ok, this may be out of date, personally I hope not). He is a sound keeper, though I'm not sure he's as good as he was when he first came.

The situation is complicated by the JB situation. Unless England start to play him purely as a batsman, he will be expected to keep when he comes back to us. This prevents us from being an attractive prospect for a quality keeper-batsman, home or overseas. Davies would have been well worth having, but an adviser would have told him to look elsewhere.

The strongest argument against Hodd is that we could really do with a 'keeper-slogger' for the white ball stuff, yet the JB problem would prevent us signing anyone really good. For instance if Billings or Duckett wanted a move, and all the evidence says they don't, we would not be a good option from their point of view.

In these circumstances, the more rational posts I've read tend to accept that we're unlikely to improve on Hodd, who in addition is popular, respected, and likes us.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 14 2016, 9:17 AM 

Martin (Login Martinh00)
Posted Nov 13, 2016 9:42 PM

Daily Mail speculating Ballance as club captain.

Now that truly is an odious newspaper.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 14 2016, 9:19 AM 

Martin (Login Martinh00)
Posted Nov 13, 2016 9:42 PM

Daily Mail speculating Ballance as club captain.

Now that truly is an odious newspaper.

Agreed! Don't worry - I don't buy it - just saw a link to the story on the internet!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 14 2016, 9:25 AM 

Idle man puts it better than I could - exactly my thoughts on the keeper situation. We have been spoiled by having a world class batsman who keeps. The prospects of finding anyone even close to his abilities who has no international ambitions (and hence could focus solely on the club) is remote. We are better off than some teams in that we have Bresnan/Rashid who would both play as batsmen in may county sides, so arguable can accommodate a keeper batting number 8. In an ideal world we would bat Hodd higher as I think he responds to more responsibility - but we are not going to bat Rashid or Bresnan at 8 are we?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 14 2016, 9:49 AM 

Agree with many comments here particularly about Hodd.

All these people saying he isn't the answer as our keeper now JB is an England regular, can you please name a suitable, realistic, available alternative?

As for Gale as coach and people already writing it off as an underwhelming or cheap move. He was the captain who, with Gillespie, brought us back to back county championships. He played a big part in this. It's almost as if his contribution to this is totally forgotten about.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 14 2016, 10:02 AM 

Why should anyone bother naming someone when you clearly don't want change. Gale is the cheap option as coach just like when we opened the batting with Joe Sayers in 2011.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

November 14 2016, 10:27 AM 

East
The alternatives at the start of last season I suggested Duckett but when it became clear he was ECB owned, I said Davies.

I appreciate the view of "We have Bresnan and Rashid" but why sacrifice batting quality.

I always baseline against other Counties. Hodd just to stress is far from a bad batsman...Just not top 6 and not proved much in limited overs.

How many keepers in the County game would be above Hodd?

I also acknowledge the point about JB but he hardly plays for us so I don't see why that would be a big factor.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 14 2016, 10:37 AM 

One thing to say about Gale is that you cannot knock his passion for Yorkshire.
I think it is very hard to go from being one of the boys, albeit the one in charge, to becoming their overall boss.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 14 2016, 10:40 AM 

A few responses to a variety of comments.

Why bother suggesting an alternative wk to back up your argument against Hodd? Because it might make the point seem more reasonable. No-one has suggested Hodd is perfect, but aside from unavailable/fantasy suggestions (M S Dhoni for white ball cricket?) no-one has suggested an alternative.

And against change? No, because you can never stand still. If you don't progress, you go backwards. However if being against change means happy to accept 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd over the next four seasons, then yes I suppose so.

And finally, if Gale has been appointed, is the most likely explanation: a)to save money, b)as a way of getting rid of him as captain/batsman, c) because they think he'll do a good job? The third may be an error of judgement, we'll have to wait and see, but it's surely the explanation. He won't be short of commitment.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

November 14 2016, 10:55 AM 

Anyone know what time today the public announcement is?

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

November 14 2016, 11:00 AM 

I am surprised at the negative reaction to Gale. If you see him at the club he is a huge figurehead. He is liked and respected as a leader of men and clearly understands Yorkshire, tactics and the County scene based on his recent years of success.

In a period of change, he will remain a constant. Nothing much needs to change, surely?

He clearly gets the best out of people. The only questions for me are:

1: Can he attract new players with the same ability that Dizzy did?
2: Does he or do we have a solid mechanism in place for player development?

We saw a huge improvement in the youngsters when Farbrace was with us. That has reduced since he left. Can Gale bring on the youngsters?

I would probably recommend an assistant with proven development principles. Someone who can provide him with hints and suggestions using their own experience.

I know Mark Robinson looks after the Woman, but someone like him who possesses a lot of experience, especially with bowlers and has the added benefit of being a Yorkshireman.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Nov 14, 2016 11:02 AM

(Login DaveMorton)

November 14 2016, 11:16 AM 

Thank you, Idle Man, for bringing some sanity to this debate.

YCCC is NOT a club in crisis. We were in crisis when Chris Adams did his U-turn (and thank the fates that he did!), McGrath was looking to walk out so we hired Rudolph and brought Gough in as captain. That was a crisis we solved, though it made for uncomfortable watching, and then a 'golden generation' of home-grown players appeared and Gillespie's appointment was the final brick in the wall.

The last four years have been pure joy. Surely the management have done enough to earn our trust and support, whatever decision they announce later today.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 14 2016, 11:35 AM 

It was previously Gale should carry on batting and being captain to Gale will be a great coach. I'm clearly not sentimental towards him like some on here which is why i wanted Brad Hodge.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 14 2016, 11:52 AM 

Yes Hodd is perfectly fine at 8 if you only like Red ball Cricket.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 14 2016, 11:52 AM 

That (Jacobus) doesn't reflect people's attitudes to Gale either as captain or coach.The argument for Gale carrying on as captain was that there was no obvious alternative, Ballance then being back in the test side, and that there was a case for continuity given that Dizzy was leaving. Far from being sentimental, those who argued that case were being completely practical and pragmatic. No-one has said that he will be a 'great coach', only that he has some of the obvious required qualities. My own feeling, and I like Andrew Gale very much, is that I think it's a bit too much of a gamble. Those posters engaged in discussion seem to me to have a variety of differing sensible positions, which is what I come on the forum for.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Nov 14, 2016 11:56 AM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 14 2016, 11:55 AM 

And by the way Dwight, regarding Hodd, I did accept the issue over white ball cricket. But we still have no affordable, available, worth having name put forward.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 14 2016, 11:59 AM 

I have mentioned the world class Sarfraz Ahmed on numerous occasions.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 59 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk