<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

RE coach

November 14 2016, 6:30 PM 

my opinion of Gales captaincy was meant about the team he was in charge of. A hugely talented team. Anyone could have been captain of it is my point.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: RE coach

November 14 2016, 6:51 PM 

So, Kevin, if you got into Lewis Hamilton's car you would win formula one races?

Of all sports, cricket is the one where the captain is most influential, but you're right, there's so much talent in this team that several options could be the right one.

How about Jack Brooks? His sense of humour could gel well with Gale's intensity of purpose. Or Andrew Hodd, with his impish energy and enthusiasm? Or the more obvious Lees, Bresnan, Ballance, or Grumpy Sid.

As long as the chemistry works...

And there's only one way to find out

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 14 2016, 7:20 PM 

My own preference would be Lees, with Ballance as vice captain.
But I could live with it the other way round.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 14 2016, 7:22 PM 

Surprised no one has mentioned Lyth. He would be my choice.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: RE. Coach

November 14 2016, 7:33 PM 

Well I think it's a sensible and sound move but if he was still in form with the bat I bet it wouldn't have happened.

My bigger concern is the knock on effect of needing a new skipper and a decent English top order batsman as well as a quality overseas. These are more crucial to our chances next season.

Lees Ballance or Bresnan? How much more can we ask the superhuman Bres to do? But then Ballance has his own game to sort out with the bat so is Lees the answer? I recall some thinking Gale being too young when made skipper but he seemed to do ok. We have done well backing youth so why not extend to the coach and skipper roles?

It may be earlier than is ideal but I don't see a standout available candidate elsewhere. Warwickshire are looking to replace Brown and sniffing after Giles and Kent are searching for a new coach to replace Adams. If they do better than Gale with their eventual appointments then we might have cause to moan but if they come with uninspiring coaches it will show the market conditions out there.

Newell, Brown, Chris Adams, Moores, Giles, Robinson are all bog standard run of the mill names who don't inspire me. White, Silverwood and Dawson are better gaining more experience elsewhere for now.

Gale has the knowledge and the inside track to hit the ground running. Yes he has good friends and family connections in the dressing room but I think he has the leadership nous to put some distance between him and the players.

I wish him luck and hope he does well just as I would any appointment at the club.

I don't see it as a cheap option at all and find such accusations insulting to someone who deserves better

(Login dpressed)

November 14 2016, 7:38 PM 

I have to disagree about capacity not being relevant. Yorkshire beat Warwick by 49 runs at Headingley. In the first innings Patto & Ryan put on 53 for the last wicket, mainly due to Bell's awful tactics. The field was spread for Ryan, then brought in for Patto. It was appalling captain cy.

Gale also has go take some credit for Brooks's good figures. As everyone knows there's good Brooks & bad Brooks. Gale is excellent at whipping off bad Brooks very quickly whilst keeping on good Brooks.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

Captain

November 14 2016, 7:53 PM 

Bresnan the obvious candidate

Lyth a possibility

Lees too young and enough on his plate with white ball cricket

Patterson and Ballance outsiders

This message has been edited by Yfactor on Nov 14, 2016 7:55 PM

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

Captain

November 14 2016, 8:18 PM 

On second thoughts - because the bowlers are rotated to keep them fit they can`t play every game - a batsman might be the better option !

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Captain

November 14 2016, 8:21 PM 

I was there for that game v Warwickshire that dpressed refers to and it was the best example I have seen of how captaincy made a difference. I was just not sure if it told me Gale was excellent or Bell rubbish so in the end I decided it was probably both.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 14 2016, 8:23 PM 

Lees or Ballance for me, maybe even Ballance for championship only since Lees grew in to the one day role last season. Bres is a leader anyway and I wouldn't burden him further.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 14 2016, 8:29 PM 

Bresnan bats
Bresnan bowls
Bresnan fields slip
He's surely the last player we should burden with captaincy.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 14 2016, 8:41 PM 

Possible pointer for the captaincy, in the 2nd Scarorough game last season (v Notts), Gale missed out with a sore back, both Lees and Ballance played, Ballance was captain.

Think that's the way I'd go, but a close call.

Another option could be Lees in 'red' ball cricket with Rafiq taking the one day captaincy?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

RE captain

November 14 2016, 8:48 PM 

In regards to gales captaincy with brooks. That's just common sense if Jack is bowls badly you obviously change bowlers and when he's bowling well to keep him on. Don't see how Gale can take credit for something so obvious.

(Login dpressed)

Re: RE captain

November 14 2016, 9:12 PM 

For years some of 'the faithful' have joked about the Byas fag packet. Byas was a decent captain but tended to bowl a &b for a number of overs followed by b & C. The spinner was brought on for the statutory last over before lunch. This continued well after Bingo left us as following captains were using the formula written on the back of Byas's cigarette packet

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 14 2016, 9:25 PM 

Kevin - have you ever captained a cricket team? It's a difficult job and AG does it exceptionally well. Last year he was by some distance the best captain on the county circuit. Whatever criticism is made about AG, its rare to hear the faithful dispute his tactics or on field decision making.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 14 2016, 9:44 PM 

I just remember how bloody bang average we were before Gale took over, under the likes of White, Gough, McGrath and occasionally Rudolph. Gale only really had one poor season as skipper, in 2011.

(Login dpressed)

November 14 2016, 9:57 PM 

Just to 2nd all Stu says

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 15 2016, 12:36 AM 

It might be 'obvious' to take off a bowler who is bowling badly, but not always obvious to the bowler himself! And, as captain, you have to live with that. Also, you want him to bowl well next time - perhaps only an hour away - and it's no good if he's having a sulk.

So it's all about man management. You've got big egos out there, which have to be managed, and small ones, which need building up if you want to get the most out of your players. It's difficult enough at club level, more difficult at test level, but surely most difficult of all on the county circuit where players live in each other's pockets for 5 months, where small differences can fester.

It might have been okay for DR Jardine or AB Sellers to be autocratic. People hated them, and they didn't care. But this is 2016. Thank goodness.

Ian Bell has been quoted as an example of a weak and useless captain, and i think that is a fair assessment of his performance at Headingley. But what about Chris Read, who led a talented group of players into the 2nd Division?

I thought Somerset were very well led, by the way, played smarter cricket than Yorkshire in both games last season, and with limited bowling resources.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

RE Captain

November 15 2016, 8:33 AM 

Sid- yes I have captained a cricket team before so I do know what it's like juggling your bowlers around. When bowling badly or good. If I had a bowler bowling really well, taking wickets is give him the option of carrying on. If a bowler was bowling not as well as I know he can then I'd politely say have a rest!. From what I've read over social media etc Gale is hugely respected by other colleagues especially James Taylor. MY opinion was and this is from an outside point looking in, our team is hugely talented that I felt anyone could captain it. Like the Australia team from the late 90's to the mid 2000's.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Re: RE Captain

November 15 2016, 8:57 AM 

This is 3rd hand info from another forum

"A mate went to Andrew Gales benefit dinner, and in the q&a session, a question was raised about Rashid.

Gale answered extremely honestly and said that Rashid wouldn't be made welcome in the Yorkshire dressing room and it would be hoped that he will find a new county."

This is either pure BS, or we worryingly have a senior manager who doesn't understand the concept of constructive dismissal.

< Previous Page 14 5 6 7 89 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk