<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: RE Captain

November 15 2016, 9:04 AM 

Re post on Rash /Galey

I would assume its 100% total B/S from a football forum well documented for garbage posts especially in school holidays , however bridges will undoubtedly have to be built not just with players but with fans.

This message has been edited by Papag1 on Nov 15, 2016 9:06 AM

(Login matthefish2002)

November 15 2016, 9:11 AM 

I thought Bresnan had a colossal season in 2016 but don't think he is a captain. Too much one of the boys (which is not a criticism by the way).
On occasion in the past when Gale hasn't played for whatever reason Bresnan as far as I can remember has never captained the side.

My choice would be Gary Balance.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 15 2016, 9:14 AM 

Gale was correct about Rashid.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 15 2016, 9:19 AM 

I have supported and sung the praises of Rashid through his career, even at its low points . I have a signed picture of him on my office wall .

I do not hate him . I do not want him to fail . I wish him well . I cannot , even after a few moths accept what he did . Unforgivable and disrespectful to teammates and supporters . I do not want to see him play for Yorkshire again .

I do not expect everyone to agree . Simply saying how i feel as a Yorkshire supporter for 40 odd years .

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Nov 15, 2016 9:20 AM

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

adil rashid

November 15 2016, 9:39 AM 

I have been watching Yorkshire for over fifty years and cannot believe any player in the team doesn't want to play unforgivable he still has two years left on his contract I think so we will have to wait and see what happens or is he turning into another Shahzad who thought he was bigger than the club .

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

November 15 2016, 9:40 AM 

Good luck Gale. Deserves a crack I think-and certainly deserves our support. If he's as good a coach as he was captain I'll settle for that.
GB would be my choice as next captain, but he may still be too wrapped up in his England future. If he is made captain I wish him more success and a less bumpy ride than the previous GB.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 15 2016, 9:56 AM 

i, like many others was disappointed Adil rashid pulled out of the match at lords, but i feel rejecting him completely would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. i believe his case was camparable to Kane Williamson earlier in the season. Kane had played a lot of cricket and his form suffered to the point he asked to be rested and returned to New Zealand. Adil played every game for us leading up to the game, he did not feel at his best and said so. as well as illness in the family. Nobody castigated Williamson and brought his loyalty into question. A quality coach will be looking for ways to mend any bridges and bring our match winning spinner back into the fold.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 15 2016, 9:58 AM 

Since it has been raised (again) I don't condemn Rashid because:

1) I still don't think we know all the facts

2) Moxon and JG made it clear that as far as they were concerned a veil had been drawn over it. If they can do so (presumably with the full facts at their disposal) then we should trust their judgement. If we were angry/emotional imagine how they must have felt - and yet they were able to draw a line under it.

3) Rashid has given us marvellous service over the years. That surely counts for a lot?

4) (and most importantly) we do not live inside Rashid (or any other players) head. We know he is a confidence player. He may have felt deep down that he couldn't perform in the game and would rather not let the side down. The illness in the family may well have been the real reason why he didn't want to play but for personal reasons didn't want to reveal it. We just don't know.

On that basis, Gale needs to very quickly build bridges if bridges are required. As someone else suggested, he may need to brush up on employment law!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 15 2016, 10:26 AM 

If the things we debate here weren't often genuine dilemmas the forum would be very dull, but this one strikes me as a real uncertainty. Up to a point, I'm with Gary in my attitude to Rash. I have just loved watching him bat and bowl, and I got some stick on here for arguing in his favour at the lowest point of his career - and that was certainly low. However I still feel kicked in the guts a bit, as I did last September. Obviously we don't know enough to judge firmly, and I very much hope that there were circumstances with which I would be fully sympathetic. Unfortunately however I keep coming back to the thought that playing for Yorkshire just doesn't mean as much to him as it does to Andrew Gale or Tim Bresnan, or lots of others, including JB and Joe Root.

One of the reasons I would have preferred an outside coach was that he could have sat down with Rash and had a good chat with no previous impression in place. Gale seems a long way from that and will need to row back a long way. I think he should try to do so. Overall given the unclear circumstance and the value of the player I'd like to keep him. But I'll never feel quite the same about him again.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Nov 15, 2016 10:28 AM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

November 15 2016, 11:11 AM 

I'm not sure how a player demonstrates the extent of his commitment to the County team.
I would have thought that ten years unbroken service would be one.
Unless and until I hear anything differently I shall continue to regard Adil Rashid in the same was as every other long serving member of this brilliant team.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 15 2016, 11:18 AM 

Things are unbroken until they get broken . Then it is to be decided if they can be repaired or are worth repairing on the basis they might break again .

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

adil rashid

November 15 2016, 3:42 PM 

but there is one big difference you say forgive and forget but Andrew gale knows all the facts that were said at the time and he wasn't very pleased .

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

Re: adil rashid

November 15 2016, 3:51 PM 

Galey has already had a positive effect somewhere. He's increased traffic on the forum in a usually quiet month happy.gif

(Login Roundhegian)

November 15 2016, 4:17 PM 

I too was puzzled when Rashid withdrew from the Middlesex game. However to suggest that he does not care about playing for Yorkshire is far too simplistic.
I took a look at Adil's playing schedule for the previous twelve months.
Between early October and the end of November 2015 he was on the England tour playing Pakistan in the UAE (three tests, 5 ODIs, one t20).
After a short break, by the middle of December he was playing for Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League, the competition ending for Adelaide with their semi final defeat on 21 January.
Adil then travelled to South Africa for a warm up game, 5 ODIs and two t20s starting at the end of January and ending on 21 February.
He was then with the England team for the world t20 in India, beginning early March and ending with the final on 3 April.
Rashid played for Yorkshire in their first championship game starting on 17 April and then in every game Yorkshire played in three competitions in the 2016 season, with the possible exception of one one day match and two absences with England (5 ODIs and a t20 against Sri Lanka, four ODIs and a t20 against Pakistan) returning to Yorks for the home Championship game against Somerset.
The above is too many games and too much travelling. Some of it was self inflicted because he did not have to take part in the Big Bash League. Also people will say it is the life of an international sportsman and they are very well paid. All of which I agree with. Nevertheless it is understandable that by mid September Adil was jaded and another England tour was about to begin in a fortnight's time. He doubtless had family pressure about being away so much, other England players like Root and Bairstow being rested, and a family illness as well. At the very least it is mitigating circumstances.
It would be extremely disappointing if Rashid was frozen out of the Yorkshire set up as he is just too valuable a player to lose.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 15 2016, 5:18 PM 

I understand much of that, but one more match, with the Championship at stake....?

To be honest, I think we'll get a sense of how reasonable it was by the outcome. If the team felt let down, and haven't accepted the explanation, I don't see much of a way forward. If he stays, I'll assume they're happy, and I certainly will be.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 15 2016, 6:26 PM 

People have short memories as I think it's only two or three years ago when Rashid was not our number one spinner at the start of a season and was making noises about wanting to leave if he wasn't wanted. The rest is history as they say as he found a route into the team more as a batsman, scored some runs and never looked back.

It may be academic if he winters well, gets a central contract and is the front line test spinner at home next summer.

I haven't forgotten, not yet forgiven but may in time but my view counts for nowt. Gale may feel differently

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

November 16 2016, 10:42 AM 

I can't think England will need Rashid much next summer, with Moeen and Ansari likely ti be better suited to English pitches and conditions. So he will be back, he will be needed and he will have everything to prove after what was an unforgiveable dereliction of his responsibilities to the Club that made and nurtured him, at Lords. If he comes back from India acting like a prima-donna, he should be out of the door faster than he can deliver a googly. He has a lot of fences to mend, not only with the coach and team-members but with members and fans. We shall see whether he has the will and temperament to do it.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 16 2016, 11:06 AM 

When talking about players motivations, I just reflect on growing realisation that mental health is a real factor in sport. When Trescothick first had his wobble nobody knew what he was going through. Some ex-players told him and others to "man-up" which was less than helpful- a response that betrayed a lack of understanding of how anxiety and depression can reveal itself in all sorts of ways. I just think we have to be careful before we rush to judgement about any player when we don't know the full facts.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 16 2016, 11:21 AM 

Agreed, though Rash doesn't appear to be one of those cases. He's been happily - it seems - away with England since his 'rest'.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 17 2016, 12:48 PM 

Another former Yorkshire player has bagged a new coaching role this week with John Sadler moving to Leicestershire after being let go by Derbyshire who are heading in different direction under Kim Barnett.

Good luck to Sads who I gather is highly regarded.

With Craig White being appointed at Hampshire and Dawson Silverwood Rhodes and Gale at counties already I wond r which former Yorkshire player might get the Kent appointment?

< Previous Page 15 6 7 8 9 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk