<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

Adil Rashid

November 18 2016, 1:05 PM 

I thought not wanting to play against Middlesex was a poor decision from Adil but I can understand it.

He correctly recognized that with England playing away in Bangladesh and India that this was his chance to prove his case as the number 1 spinner for England.
His performances have been mixed so far, that's fairly typical from him for England and Yorkshire but he has earned his best ever return in a test match. He now has 4 more test matches and he must improve over the course of those games - as Boycott's always said, first class performances get you into the test team but you must step up a level if you want to stay there (Woakes has surprised me by doing just that)

My gut feeling is Adil's not quite at the level that will force him ahead of Moeen Ali either as a bowler or Batsman (first innings of the 2nd test against India tomorrow should be seen as an opportunity) and in the end he'll probably continue to be Englands number 2 spinner.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: Adil Rashid

November 18 2016, 5:55 PM 

Rashid must isnt test quality for me. He has a nice action and is capable of some serious quality, but gives away too many easy runs and isn't consistent enough.

There is an argument that says if he had a long run...It worked in ODI.

I just don't think he's good enough and he lacks a huge charisma as a cricketer that sometimes shows in his batting and fielding - The polar opposite of Rafiq for example.

I think England have made a huge hash with their spinners. Picking Ansari who is second choice at his County over someone like Leach after his season is almost laughable looking back with highenside.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 18 2016, 9:30 PM 

There's a huge amount of kidology in leg spin bowling. Warne had massive technical skills, but on top of that he communicated total confidence. If someone hit him for six he just stood there with an expression that suggested it was just part of a master plan of his which was leading to the batsman's approaching demise. Rash has at least got out of the habit of letting his head visibly drop, but still doesn't communicate real self-belief.

Above all, much as I have been down on my metaphorical knees begging for his progress, he's not quite good enough. There are two sides to his art, in simple terms cutting out the baduns and bowling the gooduns. Even when he does the former he doesn't really ever look like going through the top order. If he had more helpful wickets who knows......

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 18 2016, 11:41 PM 

Helpful wickets would bring him more confidence and more wickets but he doesn't seem able to control his length, let alone his direction for more than 3 or 4 balls on the trot.

He's a good bowler and may even now still be an improving bowler, but any slight signs of improvement have been painfully slow to manifest themselves.

He's been around so long but this is only his 7th test I think. Bowling all these overs against top class batsmen might yet be the making of him.

Personally I don't think he has what it takes at test level, love to be proved wrong.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 19 2016, 12:59 PM 

Charisma helps but it's not the be all and end all. I wouldn't describe Anil Kumble as Mr Charisma but he did ok. If we are looking at progress remember that Swan's second coming was at the age of 28.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

November 24 2016, 9:36 AM 

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 24 2016, 10:51 AM 

That sounds eminently sensible, if rather a change of tone. Almost worthy of the Donald.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Press Conference on Monday: Gale confirmed as coach

August 7 2017, 4:38 PM 

Time for another Press conference?

(Login menstonyccc)

August 7 2017, 5:28 PM 

yes I think so - I was criticised for being too critical back on 14th November but unfortunately it was never likely to be a good appointment

new voice and ideas needed

no doubt humiliation Friday and the end of our final prospects for the season will bring his departure forward

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 7 2017, 5:40 PM 

In regard to Menston's earlier post on this thread regarding the appoinment of Gale, you absolutely called it. The humble pie will also be doing the rounds.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 7 2017, 6:05 PM 

As much as I think he should go, the club will surely wait until the close season IF they plan to replace him (and I wouldn't be so sure of that knowing the way the club does things, cautiously, conservatively and cheaply). Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him given another year to "prove himself".

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

August 7 2017, 7:26 PM 

Is Denison as ruthless as Graves? If Gale was the wrong appointment what does it say about the judgement of the man who made it - is Moxon's job on the line as well?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 7:34 PM 

We normally get rid of coaches when we have won the title and not been nearer relegation. Clarke and Byas left after 2001 and Dizzy at end of last season. Ditching a coach when the team looks relegation potential would be a break with tradition.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 7 2017, 8:28 PM 

Well if he is doing any cricket coaching, it is not readily apparent - certainly less visible or active than Gillespie. Performance and confidence is at rock bottom and new leadership both off and on the field are an essential for next season for all forms of cricket.
I

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

August 7 2017, 8:55 PM 

I saw DM post about us not been in crisis. Do you still think that Dave?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 9:05 PM 

I'm sure DM can answer for himself but we're not 'in crisis'. We're in a testing situation which will tell us is MM, AG and RP are good enough.

My personal opinion is they're possibly not but that's still not a crisis.

Looking at the coaching teams at Scarborough, I'd swap AG and RP for Silverwood and Mags. Letting Mags go, which I assume was MMs decision, was absolutely stupid and I posted so at the time.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

August 7 2017, 9:18 PM 

Out of their depth sadly. I also think it's time for MM to go too

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 7 2017, 11:02 PM 

As Sid implies, the real test for Moxon, Gale et al is how they respond to the present situation - what they say and most particularly what they do.

The debacle at Scarborough was as feeble a performance as I can remember from Yorkshire in very many years. From the start of play to the end the team looked hang-dog. These are talented cricketers in a deep depression.
I'll reserve any talk of clear outs, sackings and last chance saloons until I've seen how this crisis is handled by those charged with the responsibility.
There were no positives to be taken from this game, though Leaning Lyth and Coad had their moments.
Essex are a good team and in a very positive frame of mind. Yorkshire made them look like invincibles.

Grim.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 8 2017, 8:29 AM 

Just looking at what I said in November:

It is a bit like the wicket keeper question. The alternatives are thin on the ground. Farbrace and Flower both said no. Same with Dawson by all accounts. Hodge looked to be lukewarm to me in what he said publicly. Are Silverwood, White et al superior to Gale? 

I do think we need to try to attract a good deputy from outside if possible - maybe one of the 16 applicants for the headcoach job would fulfil this requirement.

We may not like the current situation but at the tone it was pretty clear that the field of candidates must have been a weak one. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Silverwood is proving to be superior to just about any coach going but could anyone have predicted that at the start of the season?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 8 2017, 8:50 AM 

To be fair you were very impressed with the appointment.

< Previous Page 15 6 7 8 9 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk