<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

New Captain

November 14 2016 at 8:52 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

The press conference thing seemed to be getting a bit long I thought.

I think Ballance for red and of course pink ball cricket giving Lees another season to hopefully continue the improvement in white ball cricket.

I might change my mind if we recruit an experienced overseas player who has expectations of staying the full season.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: New Captain

November 15 2016, 7:43 AM 

I don't like the idea of an outsider with no previous connection with the county, coming in as skipper when there should be some talent within the team as well as others offering experience and leadership.

Gale was perfect as he was never on England's radar so always available and as a pure batsman he did not have to bowl (even v Middlesex with the declaration bowling).

Two of our options are Lees and Ballance who might also fall into this category. Even if Garry does well with the bat I can't see an England recall next summer with the emergence of Hameed and Duckett. Plus this may sound odd but I think his left handed batting may count against him in a middle order with Stokes Ali Duckett already batting left handed and some right handers are needed to mix it up.

I know the likes of Klinger Franklin Rogers have come in and done well as overseas who skipper but I think Yorkshire should be able to have someone from within the squad to do the job. There will be Siddy and Bres to offer wise counsel in the middle and Gale and Moxon in the dressing room.

Plus Boycott and Vaughan will always offer their views via social media whether wanted or nor

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 15 2016, 9:53 AM 

The reason I wouldn't be completely against an experienced overseas captain for one season is to enable Yorkshire to take stock and get a fresh viewpoint into the structure of the team and the qualities of the players.

Gale appears to be a very strong leadership figure who on the one hand might get the best out of his team whilst on the other he might have been closed to new ideas or suggestions from less vocal members of the team.

I despise ex players, Vaughan and Swann particularly, who try to get a cheap laugh on air or in print by characterising certain players as 'not being the sharpest tool in the box'.

That having been said the captain needs to be bright, and fair, and open minded, and ruthless, and have a hundred other virtues in order to see and take advantage of a range of situations that might arise during a game.

We may not have the perfect man for the job in the team but it's important we give the job to the closest match.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

November 15 2016, 10:33 AM 

Completely agree with that comment about ex-players, Geoff. And you tend to find the examples given are about knowledge/ignorance (e.g. not recognising the statue of Churchill outside the Houses of Parliament). That's not the same as stupidity at all. Bres was one of Swann's regular targets, yet when I heard him talk during his benefit year he was interesting and thoughtful - more so than Swann in my view.

(Login legglance)

November 15 2016, 4:11 PM 

^^^^^^

Empty vessels ............

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

November 15 2016, 7:32 PM 

Is this a question from "Only Connect"..?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 15 2016, 8:27 PM 

You have 3 seconds remaining team Stu.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

November 16 2016, 10:25 AM 

I'd concur with Ballance/Lees.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 16 2016, 11:19 AM 

I would go Balance/Leeds too, though I assume we must be in the market for Keaton Jennings who is now unsettled at Durham and the offer of captaincy might be attractive to him..

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 16 2016, 11:36 AM 

Martin (Login Martinh00)
Posted Nov 16, 2016 11:19 AM

I would go Balance/Leeds too, though I assume we must be in the market for Keaton Jennings who is now unsettled at Durham and the offer of captaincy might be attractive to him..

Maybe as a batsman but not as captain.
What message would that convey to Lees, Ballance & the remainder of the team?
It might be acceptable bring someone in as captain with outstanding credentials as Somerset did with Rogers but bringing in somebody untried at that level...
No thanks

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 16 2016, 1:01 PM 

I agree, it would not send out a good message. Article below suggests that Durham may offer him the captaincy, but he says its not a deciding factor for him

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cricket/durham-ccc-stars-keaton-jennings-12153759

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 16 2016, 4:13 PM 

He did take over from Collie when he went off injured during the CC match at the Riverside, I remember being impressed because he was so young.

Thinking back he may have done the same during the RL cup too.

Agree though I don't think it would be a good move.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk