<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd Test | India vs England at Visakhapatnam (Match thread)

November 17 2016 at 1:49 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

India v England at Visakhapatnam, Nov 17-21, 2016

England from: AN Cook*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, ZS Ansari, JM Bairstow†, JT Ball, GS Ballance, GJ Batty, SCJ Broad, JC Buttler†, BM Duckett, ST Finn, H Hameed, AU Rashid, JE Root, BA Stokes, CR Woakes

India from: V Kohli*, R Ashwin, G Gambhir, RA Jadeja, A Mishra, Mohammed Shami, KK Nair, HH Pandya, CA Pujara, AM Rahane, KL Rahul, WP Saha, I Sharma, M Vijay, J Yadav, UT Yadav

Live Scorecard

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: 2nd Test | India vs England at Visakhapatnam (Match thread)

November 17 2016, 8:25 AM 

I can understand them picking Anderson on his record for England but I cannot agree with dropping Woakes, who has done nothing wrong, and brings so much more than his bowling.

From what I understand he has been given a diplomatic 'niggle' in order to cover the change, but he was fit to play.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Pujara

November 17 2016, 9:24 AM 

Three hundreds in consecutive tests. Doesn't get picked up in IPL so what chances of overseas signing at least early season again?

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: Pujara

November 17 2016, 10:09 AM 

I'm concerned that costs are being reduced so if Pujara gets signed that would probably mean only 1 signing for T20 when 2 overseas are needed.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 17 2016, 10:56 AM 

Pujara would be my choice as well. None of the others suggested in this article......

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/14909394.Overseas_batsman_high_on_Gale_wish_list_for_Yorkshire/?ref=mac

...will be available until the end of May, unlike Pujara who never gets selected for the IPL. Very likely, if we wanted him, that we would get him for most of the season. We could then sign two other overseas, specifically for the T20 tournament, which, I believe, is to be "blocked" this season in July/August.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 17 2016, 11:27 AM 

When choosing Gale instead of Hodge i feel we have left ourselves at a disadvantage with overseas recruitment, i'm struggling to picture the side moving forward in one day cricket, hopefully with T20 being blocked this will help create success but i'm still very disappointed with the decision to appoint our former captain as coach.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 17 2016, 11:38 AM 

Pujara was brilliant in his short stay with us. A proper batsman! He was also visibly touched by his farewell from the crowd at Headingley.

I don't think we are at a disadvantage with a Yorkshire coach rather than an overseas one. I am sure that the likes of Pujara, Younus Khan, Williamson, Finch, etc, etc will have been singing our praises to their teammates back home. Elite cricket is a small world, and people do talk. Even Australians, occasionally.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 17 2016, 11:54 AM 

I have no problem with signing Pujara just as long as 2 overseas are still signed in T20.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 17 2016, 12:44 PM 

Pujara will do for me with Williamson if not available. Lehman not too after that.

I suspect some may see us signing Willey as akin to one overseas player.

I don't see gale appointment making much difference to who we can get from abroad.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 17 2016, 1:01 PM 

I think Willey is seen as the equivalent of an overseas for T20 - after all he is a mainstay in the national side, and is playing the Big Bash again. He is certainly better quality than some of the overseas players we see in the Blast. I think the best model is one person brought in and another who is (ideally) your season long overseas who also plays in T20 games. Although Pujara isn't noted as a T20 performer, I suspect he would do a very good job at county level.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

November 17 2016, 1:12 PM 

Another point for Pujara is that he doesn't play ODI cricket for India. The Champions Trophy is played throughout June so players like Williamson will be unavailable then as well.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 17 2016, 1:19 PM 

T20 is no place for a run a ball man.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 17 2016, 1:27 PM 

"T20 is no place for a run a ball man"

No its not but I wonder how much T20 he has played in recent years? He is a class act these days and I suspect would be capable of better than that now if given the opportunity.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 17 2016, 1:34 PM 

Bcci wouldn't let him anyway would they? Unless that stance has changed.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 17 2016, 1:54 PM 

I saw David Willey as a replacement for Richard Pyrah who decided to retire.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 17 2016, 2:55 PM 

If anyone thinks David Willey and Richard Pyrah are comparable players then I really do wonder if I watch the same game.

(Login dpressed)

November 17 2016, 3:33 PM 

Yet only one of Willey & Pyrah has scored a century in a first class Roses match and has the best bowling for the club in T20 (5-16). And it isn't Willey

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 17 2016, 3:52 PM 

And only one of them has caught the catch at backward point that won the County Championship, and that wasn't Willey either.

It should perhaps be noted, that although Willey played for Northants, he probably never went for 12 runs off the last ball of a match there. By the time his (hopefully successful) career is over, he too will have many ups and downs to remember.

(Login Jacobus24)

November 17 2016, 4:31 PM 

Willey is mainly a one day player just like Pyrah except far more talented. My point was more in relation to squad balance between championship players and one day players.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 17 2016, 5:37 PM 

I would be happy if we could re-sign Pujara for the majority of the season as our only overseas for the CC.

Top bloke, pleasant, modest and quick to smile, old fashioned maybe but a very accomplished batsman, ideal to build an innings around.

I hope Willey becomes more of a factor in CC this season. In order to succeed in his ambition to get into the test team he's going to have to pull up a few trees for Yorkshire over the next couple of seasons as he has a lot to prove.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk