(Login twelthman)

Re: Pujara

November 17 2016, 8:14 PM 

My main concern is the welfare of the dog

Monk wood
(Login Monkwood)

12off the last over

November 17 2016, 8:15 PM 

If my memory serves me correct Pyrah went for 14 off the last ball to lose us a one day game ? A six off a no ball followed with another six of the extra ball ??

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: 12off the last over

November 17 2016, 8:18 PM 

It was 12 to tie.

No ball six, then a 4.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 17 2016, 8:19 PM 

I love the way the comparison of Pyrah to Willey boils down to about three deliveries....

One may have scored a Roses century but he's not been remotely close to an international one mainly as he was never selected.

I suspect Willey is paid more in line with an overseas player than Pyrah too.

(Login dpressed)

November 17 2016, 8:24 PM 

I admit that my previous post may have been partially tongue in cheek, whilst still being true

(Login Idle_man)

November 18 2016, 7:51 AM 

I thought Willey was an excellent signing from the white ball point of view, but that was not his motivation for coming. As far as first-class cricket is concerned his contribution last season was about the level I would have expected from Rich Pyrah and he's miles from the test side, even further away than he was with Woakes' progress.

(Login dpressed)

Re: Pujara

November 18 2016, 9:54 AM 

Oh Joe. Ran Hameed out then plays a dicey attacking shot to get out. It's a long way to save the follow on at 79-4

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 18 2016, 10:06 AM 

I always felt that Willey would be the long term replacement for Sidebottom & a very useful acquisition for all short forms of the game that Sidebottom doesn't play.
I wish him well in his England aspirations but he needs far more 4 day cricket to push him into the Test arena.
Sadly for him Sidebottom's longevity & form means that he's getting less games than we may have thought when he signed.
His time will come I believe.
Back to the test, as many of us feared Duckett isn't ready for Test match cricket.
This game will now be a good one to escape from with a draw.
Rashid's drop becomes ever more catastrophic.
But arguably he should never have been fielding in that position & it was by no means straightforward.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Nov 18, 2016 10:09 AM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 18 2016, 10:14 AM 

Dropped catches always seem to take on a significance that they don't necessarily merit. Had Kohli been out, India might have been bowled out cheaply but equally someone else might have stepped up to the plate. You just don't know. Yet when there is a bad run out, the reverse argument is rarely made - silly Root, never mind, one of those things. Hameed could have gone on to make a century but there again he might not have. Again you just don't know.

As for Willey, he was signed as a long term replacement for Sidebottom. It didn't quite work out for him this season due to injury, call ups etc, but I suspect the club will want him to play more four day cricket next season if at all possible.

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Nov 18, 2016 10:20 AM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 18 2016, 10:36 AM 

I totally agree about run outs unless it's a fluke or being run out backing up when the ball flicks off the bowler's hand, there's no excuse.
Re the state of the wickets in Test Cricket being prepared totally to suit the home team's bowling attack I wonder if there is an argument to do away with the toss as in the county championship?

(Login dpressed)

November 18 2016, 10:42 AM 

Sorry OF but in the Championship the away team can only put the home team in to bat, otherwise there is a toss.

This is fine in England where the big problem is a green wicket that can do for the the team that bats first.

In India the advantage is to the team that bats first (as shown in the first test & again in this one).

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 18 2016, 11:09 AM 

Surely not, I thought the opposition had the option of batting or bowling now in the CC?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

12 off the last over

November 18 2016, 12:49 PM 

dpressed is correct. The visiting team may decide only whether to bowl first. If they reject this option, there is a 'toss up' in the usual way.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Day 2

November 18 2016, 11:52 PM 

Just caught up on the highlights. Well at least they can't do any worse than lose the series 4 to nil

Unless they can patch up Duckett's technique quickly there's a chance that Ballance might get his place back, purely on the grounds of being the best of a bad bunch.

I know Ansari and Rashid and Broad are supposed to be able to bat but I would be more confident of it stretching to day 4 if Woakes was next man in.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

England first innings

November 19 2016, 8:25 AM 

Yorkshire players score more than half of the England side's runs in the first innings, again.
Five batsmen out lbw and three bowled. Is there low bounce by any chance?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: England first innings

November 19 2016, 9:07 AM 

The bounce is getting more variable as the game goes on but I wouldn't blame that for many (any) of the disnissals so far.

What I do know is that, if Duckett is the answer, then I am not sure what the question is.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

November 19 2016, 10:47 AM 

"Leg Glance (Login legglance)
Posted Nov 19, 2016 9:07 AM

The bounce is getting more variable as the game goes on but I wouldn't blame that for many (any) of the disnissals so far.

What I do know is that, if Duckett is the answer, then I am not sure what the question is."

How to avoid a bouncer?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 19 2016, 11:52 AM 

You've yorked me with that one OF.

He looks so crab like and uncomfortable when facing spin it's painful to watch.Maybe it'sthe wrong tour venue too early for him.

He doesn't just need to refine his technique, he needs to develop one first and he'll not have had much practise against that type of bowling in D2.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Experience of spin

November 19 2016, 8:20 PM 

Lack of practice against top quality spin is not restricted to D2.

We might not get another Murali or Warne, but if we do I doubt they would spend much time playing County cricket for the likes of Lancashire or Hampshire, not when they can swan around the world playing IPL/Big Bash etc for big money when not playing for their countries.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Experience of spin

November 19 2016, 11:39 PM 

Agreed CV. I was going to edit my post along similar lines.

I know he's not had much time since Bangladesh but he doesn't seem to have learned much in the interim as he has made the same mistake 3 times now.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk