<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sheffield greats

November 20 2016 at 2:59 PM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)

Of current (or very recently retired) sports-people, Jessica Ennis and Joe Root are recognised as world greats, both from Sheffield.

In spring 2016, they were joined on the world stage by Danny Willett, who won the US Masters at Augusta on a fabulously exciting Sunday evening (our time).

As of today, there are two more. Sheffield's other great golfer, young Matt Fitzpatrick, has just won a cool £1 million in Dubai - very much a Joe Root clone, with a smiling face, pleasant demeanour - and ice running through his veins. Brilliant performance today.

And now there's Matt Renshaw. Who?

He's just been selected to open the batting for Australia in the Adelaide Test. Born in Middlesbrough, but his dad apparently played with Joe's dad for Sheffield Collegiate, and he and the Root kids used to play on the outfield together. He's more Billy's age than Joe's.

Who has been Sheffield's greatest all-time cricketer? Or sportsman generally? Any views?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Re: Sheffield greats

November 20 2016, 4:02 PM 

Jamie Vardy

To go from playing in the 8th tier of English football to winning the Premier League and gaining England recognition in the space of 9 years is one phenomenal feat.

For example, some athletes tend to mention making sacrifices and not be able to lead a normal life but at least they are privileged to practice their skills full time. Vardy had to work for a living before he got his big break as a professional sportsman, which makes his success all the more remarkable. A true working class hero and an inspiration to others that it's never too late to make a name for yourself.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Sheffield

November 20 2016, 7:53 PM 

What about Kell Brook? Still World Welterweight Champion even though he lost his last fight at Middleweight

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Sheffield

November 21 2016, 7:25 AM 

Bomber Graham was a great boxer and with a topical cricketing name Naseem Hameed.

A young tennis player from Sheffield won a Wimbledon doubles title too a few years ago. Marray?

And hockey player come dancer who scored the winning goal for Team GB in the Olympic final is from Belper but went to Sheffield University. Hollie Webb.

If you stretch to South Yorkshire there is a bloke who has played for his country over 350 times, most as skipper - men's hockey captain Barry Middleton is from Doncaster.

I presume Michael Vaughan doesn't count?!

(Login matthefish2002)

November 21 2016, 9:04 AM 

Nassem Hameed I think deserves a mention as a Sheffield sporting great.
Was in the year above me in School and his family owned a corner shop about 200 yards from where I was brought up.
Great sportsmen from humble immigrant background but cant say I have ever warmed to him as a person.

In cricket terms Joe Root stands head and shoulders above any other cricketer from Sheffield.
Also Seb Coe thinks of Sheffield as his home town although born in London was brought up in Sheffield.

Also another sportsmen that I found out recently that was from Sheffield was David Blakely who was a racing driver but is perhaps better remembered as being murdered by Ruth Ellis.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 21 2016, 10:58 AM 

Roger Taylor, tennis player , won the US Open Doubles championship twice in 1971 &1972 and reached the semi finals if the Wimbledon singles in 1967.70 and 73.

I recall watching his 1967 nsemi at school as the teacher, Mr Walker, was a big fan and as it was a 'General Studies'double period,decided a loose interpretation of the subject matter covered us watching it on a small , black & white television.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

November 21 2016, 12:14 PM 

I once saw Nick Clegg out for a run. He was quicker than you'd think actually. I'm not sure if that counts.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 21 2016, 12:19 PM 

Thanks, everyone, that's a pretty impressive list of names...and I don't see why Michael Vaughan shouldn't 'count'.

I had forgotten about the two famous boxers (and not heard of Kell Brooks), didn't know about Vardy's background or about Coe's Sheffield links. There are some HUGE names here, across a wide variety of sports. Anything from rugby, league or union? Or snooker, apart from the famous venue? Swimming?

Okay, I've cheated. Here's a list from Wikipedia (Sheffield-born in bold type):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Sheffield

It includes a cricketer I had never heard of - a guy who played a couple of games for Oxfordshire! Nobody from swimming or rugby, but there is a surprising number of football managers, as well as one of the great goalkeepers. 'As safe as Banks of England,' they used to say.

Also, Yorkshire cricket legend George Ulyett, who appeared in the first ever Test Match, and also played in goal for Sheffield Wednesday, I now learn.

(Login sheffieldrose)

November 21 2016, 1:01 PM 

Nick Matthew - squash, former world number one tournament wins include:

3 world open titles
3 British open titles
3 commonwealth games gold medals and one bronze

Me9741
(Login Me4791)

Sheffield

November 21 2016, 1:25 PM 

I cant believe you havent heard of Kell Brook yet know Bomber Graham, Matt Fitzpatrick, Jessica Ennis Hill, Danny Willett and Naseem Hamed! Kell is possibly the best pound for pound fighter in Britain at the moment.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

athletics

November 21 2016, 3:25 PM 

one big difference I find when I was a kid you watch the Olympics and how great it was when someone won a gold medal and when they came back home and celebrate but then they went back to work , the athletes today are professionals they get funding from the lottery so when anyone wins you could say they should win they don't do anything else ,I always thought the lottery was for good causes like cancer research not for paying someone's wages while they train and then compete two or three times a year .

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk