<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Adil Rashid better than Shane Warne!

November 20 2016 at 4:31 PM
Martin  (Login Martinh00)

Not really, but cricinfo has some interesting analysis of legspinners in India.

Rashid has taken 13 wickets so far in India, which is fourth best return of any legspinner in the last 50 years there.

Warne's best was 14 in a three match series (and Tahir 14 in a four match series) so if Rashid picks up a couple of wickets in the next game, he will have outdone Warne in this one respect!

Quite possible that he will beat the all time return in a Test series in India as well (29 wickets for Benaud in a five match series)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dpressed)

Re: Adil Rashid better than Shane Warne!

November 20 2016, 5:24 PM 

Good one

(Login Jacobus24)

November 21 2016, 9:06 AM 

Lazy shot this morning for his wicket, maybe he was too tired to bother trying.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 21 2016, 9:40 AM 

There was also another interesting stat showing how after 7 tests Rashid has had a better start to his career than Warne did to his. Whilst there was no suggestion he's going to be as good Warne the general theme was that leg spinners have to be given time.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 21 2016, 10:03 AM 

Warne will have barely played any first class Cricket by the time he'd played 7 tests. Rashid has played over 150 first class matches and still averages mid 30s with the ball. Any comparisons are ridiculous.

Adil does have a chance to have a respectable test match record though if he only plays on favourable conditions. Which looks likely going forward.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 21 2016, 10:55 AM 

I did say at the start of the piece that I am not really suggesting that Adil is better than Warne. Merely that statistics can throw up some interesting facts.

I suppose the question really is why did Warne appear not to prosper (in favourable conditions) in India? If I have got this right, in India he took 34 wickets in 9 Test matches at an average of 43.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 21 2016, 11:59 AM 

Better batter though.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2016, 4:12 PM 

Warne struggling in India? Bowled at a golden generation of Indian batsmen?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 21 2016, 5:09 PM 

Yes that's probably it!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2016, 5:53 PM 

In fairness i don't think the current batting line up is particularly shabby either.
I think Kohli would find a place in most Test teams of the last twenty years.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk