<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Middlesbrough born

November 21 2016 at 8:19 AM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

So if Matt Renshaw plays for Australia who will he succeed as the last Middlesbrough born test cricketer?

Does he still run a chip shop in Cornwall?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Middlesbrough born

November 21 2016, 8:50 AM 

Chilly.

(Login matthefish2002)

November 21 2016, 8:53 AM 

Liam Plunkett?

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Middlesbrough born

November 21 2016, 9:16 AM 

Liam Plunkett is certainly the most recent. Chronologically between Liam and Chris would be Geoff Cook and Bill Athey. I thought maybe Paul Jarvis also but on checking, he was born in Redcar -some 7 miles outside the Middlesbrough boundary.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 21 2016, 12:24 PM 

Great stuff! This could run and run, place after place, but will anywhere ever equal Kirkheaton or Pudsey for the number of great players per head of population?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2016, 4:14 PM 

The converse also applies, some large places seem to have had very few test cricketers. From the top of my head; York, Doncaster (pre Dickie Dawson) and Rotherham seem under represented as homes to first class and test cricketers.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 21 2016, 4:22 PM 

For Yorkshire, Alan Ramage may have been born in Guiborough. Still Middlesbrough area. Also Brian Bainbridge.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Middlesbrough born

November 21 2016, 4:37 PM 

A lot also depends on your interpretation of where they were born. Is it the town or village where they lived or the maternity hospital in a larger town nearby where the event actually took place ? The 'Playfair Annual' seems to favour the latter. Players and their families sometimes opt for the former.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Middlesbrough born

November 21 2016, 6:26 PM 

Marsker - Alan was indeed born in Guisborough but neither he nor Brian played Test cricket. There are numerous others, as I'm sure you will realise, from our area who played first class cricket - Norman Maltby. Phil Berry and Neil Nicholson come immediately to mind.

(Login dpressed)

November 21 2016, 6:28 PM 

A certain John Hampshire is from Rotherham. I remember seeing him watching Rotherham United from time to time

A certain FS Trueman was from Maltby, part of Rotherham

This message has been edited by dpressed on Nov 21, 2016 6:39 PM

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

November 21 2016, 7:18 PM 

Steve Oldham a cricketer from Sheffield but possibly more average than great!

Donny Cricketers...Mike Cowan...Richard Lumb...Johnny Wardle was a convert having been born in Ardsley, Barnsley but lived in Donny.

John Hampshire was from Thurnscoe which is in the nomansland between Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster.

Donny can claim a proper boxer in Bruce Woodcock!

All from the days when we lived in the old West Riding which included FST`s birthplace 2 miles from where I was born at Sandbeck near Maltby.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2016, 9:05 PM 

Good spots with the Doncaster and Rotherham players. I really should have got those.

Richard Lumb, son of Joe Lumb, who I think was connected to the Ivanhoe pub on Melton Rd, Doncaster -perfect cricket set up with South Yorkshire league club, Sprotborough, playing behind the pub. Lovely veranda at the rear of the pub to watch the game with beer in hand.

John Hampshire of Thurnscoe - think its part of Rotherham MBC, but it terms of culture and attitude its far more Barnsley and certainly isn't Doncaster. Played my most satisfying innings at Thurnscoe MI back in the day (and in case anyone knows the ground, yes the square boundaries are very small).

Fred - think he as born at Stainton, technically Doncaster and therefore South Yorkshire, but, dare I say this given the man we're talking about, feels more North Notts!

Johnny Wardle I met once when he was still tending the pitch at Hatfield Town CC (late 80s?) cracking wicket and still is.

However I'll stick with my initial comment, given the population size of Doncaster and Rotherham, and the huge amount of league cricket in the area, think these towns are under represented in the historical ranks of YCCC cricketers.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Nov 21, 2016 9:06 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 21 2016, 10:08 PM 

Of course - not sure how I forgot Liam. Having played against his Dad and Geoff Cooks brother I should have recalled them.

Jarvis born in Redcar as was Mark Bowen I think who played at Northants and Notts and good to see a shout out for Norman Maltby who was my first cricket coach.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Middlesbrough born

November 22 2016, 10:23 AM 

Third Umpire - I've just seen your post of last evening and can confirm you are correct re Mark Bowen .I don't know how I overlooked him in my earlier comments.
Incidentally, I was a team mate of Norman Maltby and Phil Berry at Saltburn and played against Alan Plunkett (Marske), Mark Bowen (Redcar) and Dave Cook (Normanby Hall).Norman, Alan and Mark were also members of a touring club - The Mariners - of which I too was a member. I toured in Gloucestershire, Cheshire, Nottinghamshire and Holland and on the latter, amongst some illustrious company, was very proud to be named man of the tour. I believe many people have scored in Amsterdam but I wonder how many have taken 5 wickets!
Sorry for digressing from the original thread.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

November 22 2016, 3:43 PM 

Ellis Pembroke Robinson - from Denaby - not a bad name for a cricketer!

Died in 1998 - I was working in Conisbrough when his funeral took place - there was a good turnout from YCCC.

Ellis`s party piece was to stand at the bar drinking his pint - he`d put backspin on a half crown piece which would shoot down the bar and then come back to him!

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Rotherham Cricketers

November 23 2016, 7:34 PM 

Simon Guy was Rotherhams last decent Yorkshire cricketer ? So you are right we are under represented over the years.

Maybe we did not take it so serious ? Many good cricketers went to play in the Bradford league for greater rewards, where there was a collection for 50 runs ?

Looking at the Black sheep completion and other inter Yorkshire matches, it looks fairly even now ? And Rotherham teams like Wickersley, Treeton, Aston etc seem to be able to hold their own in Yorkshire Cricket !

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

South Yorkshire Hijack

November 23 2016, 8:15 PM 

How did we get from Middlesborough to Rotherham via Doncaster!

If you don't gi'over I'll drop in some proper players, from Leeds.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

Re: South Yorkshire Hijack

November 23 2016, 8:51 PM 

Don`t try and claim Jim Love - he was born at Headingley near Wakefield.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 24 2016, 6:49 AM 

Saltburn Senior

I suspect our paths may have crossed in our playing days as I played against Saltburn for Guisborough at junior and senior levels. I confess to a slight advantage in recalling Mark Bowen as I bumped into him a few weeks back playing hockey although he told he gave up cricket many years ago.

I had the misfortune to be in the same school year as Jarvis but Saltburn had a young fast bowler just as good called John Whitehouse who decided not to pursue a first class career.

Fond spot for Saltburn as it was my Dads club in his playing career too.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 24 2016, 8:51 AM 

John and Ian Whitehouse played for marske. The elder brother ian was a very good left hand bat.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk