<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2017 Fixtures RELEASED!

November 21 2016 at 4:34 PM

Dpressed  (Login dpressed)

According to various sources on Twitter the 2017 County Fixtures are to be released at 00:00 on Friday

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Nov 25, 2016 3:02 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim
(Login Tingleytyke)

2017 fixtures

November 21 2016, 4:39 PM 

Blast fixtures rumoured to be out at 6.00pm Thursday

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: 2017 fixtures

November 21 2016, 9:18 PM 

I'm a regular reader of the Unoffical Sussex CC forum, they're also reporting 6pm Thurs for T20 fixtures and midnight Thurs into Fri for the first class stuff. Why the secrecy? Football for example promotes this date excitedly. Back in June I was literally hitting 'refresh' on the keyboard as the appointed time slipped by.

Sussex forum also reporting, via the Times newspaper, that Friday is likely to be a regular start day for first class games.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Friday starts

November 21 2016, 10:38 PM 

I suppose it makes sense in order to get more bums on seats, particularly family bums.

The loss of those who play or support their local club at the week-end should be more than offset by those who want to watch County cricket but can't get to matches midweek due to work/school etc. I hope!

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

Re: Friday starts

November 22 2016, 8:40 AM 

Sid- "Sussex forum also reporting, via the Times newspaper, that Friday is likely to be a regular start day for first class games."

Selfish maybe, but I hope so. I don't work Fridays.

wibseysa
(Login wibseysa)

Re: 2017 Fixtures

November 22 2016, 9:00 AM 

Looks like the phone lines to Scarborough could be busy then,come Friday morning.

(Login matthefish2002)

November 22 2016, 9:03 AM 

Midnight seems a strange time to release the fixtures.

(Login dpressed)

November 22 2016, 10:37 AM 

Yorks have now announced that T20 fixtures will be released at 19:00 on Thursday. Is it just me or does it feel like all that now matters is T20, with Championship fixtures being 'hid away' at midnight.

This is the begining of the end of real cricket

(Login Jacobus24)

November 22 2016, 11:30 AM 

Surely bringing in Brad Hodge or replacing Andrew Hodd would have suggested priority being made towards T20 for the long term, hopefully 2 overseas will be signed but its not guaranteed. Making a domestic signing based on one day ability like David Willey has helped but it should not be at a cost of losing an overseas player.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Job for Wikileaks

November 22 2016, 8:33 PM 

Wonder if the Guardian cricket correspondent can prevail on Julian Assange and his gang to get us the fixtures early!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 23 2016, 7:15 AM 

I would be surprised if we signed Brad Hodge as a player only. Would seem a gamble to sign a 40 year old on the cusp of retirement particularly when younger alternatives are available at the big bash as was proved last season. I personally don't see the difference between signing a domestic player who is an international and an overseas. As long as availability is guaranteed and it is a case of either/or you surely go for the best player? The fact that Willey is also seen as a long term replace for Sidebottom is a bonus.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 23 2016, 8:32 AM 

I wonder if Joe Clarke would be interested in a move to division 1. A solid 20 year old batsman who can keep wicket if needed.

Geofff B
(Login Coastalview)

November 23 2016, 8:45 AM 

Think the focus is on finding a player or players from abroad now. We don't want to follow football and start tapping up players.

A couple of posts about Sussex on this thread. Interesting news about Rob Andrew joining as chief exec. I didn't know he had played a couple of times for Yorkshire seconds. Did anybody witness any of these games!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38072263

(Login Jacobus24)

November 23 2016, 8:46 AM 

I meant Brad Hodge as a coach given his experiences in the IPL. Signing Willey was a necessity due to the club having an awful record in T20 because of the lack of skill level in the squad, this is the reason 2 overseas are needed as apposed to 1 plus Willey.

This message has been edited by Jacobus24 on Nov 23, 2016 8:54 AM

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Re: Rob Andrew

November 23 2016, 10:25 AM 

Geoff B - I think Rob Andrew had a summer contract for one season in the mid-eighties after leaving Cambridge Uni (where I believe he was awarded a Blue).He played club cricket for Middlesbrough as well as Rugby. I saw him play for Yorkshiire seconds at Marske and wasn't alone. The Marske fixture was always well attended in those days.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Rob Andrew

November 23 2016, 10:43 AM 

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 23 2016, 1:32 PM 

Rob Andrew playing for Yorkshire 2s.

http://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Scorecards/46/46246.html

I saw this game at Doncaster Town fields. Don't remember much about Andrews batting, my only memory is it was cold and miserable, Patrick Patterson, fresh from terrorising England in the West Indies the previous winter, was completely ineffective, he was wearing so many jumps when bowling he could barely get his arm over!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 23 2016, 3:25 PM 

I know Rob Andrew made 100 for Barnard Castle School against my Manchester Schools U15 team, but I wasn't there as the game was on a Saturday or Sunday and I was playing for my club. I was only coach, not manager, at the time and I knew where my priorities lay!

The manager reported it to be an excellent innings.

Andrew was a keen supporter of franchise teams when he was with the RFU; he wanted (for example) Leicester and Northampton to combine, plus Bedford, to make an East Midlands franchise. The rugby clubs greeted this much as the rugby league clubs greeted Maurice Lindsay's ideas, and for the same reasons. Local rivals disliked one another, valued their own history and identity.

Sadly, the cricketing counties seem not to have the balls to stand up to the ECB bullies.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 24 2016, 6:45 AM 

I once played against Rob Andrew when as a Barnard Castle student he made his debut for Middlesbrough 3rd team. He opened the batting and composed a delightful innings - well delightful to anyone watching but those of us in our club third team tasked with bowling at him were far from happy at our big noisy neighbours from Acklam Park pulling in an obvious ringer.

On 98 he went to pull a half tracker and missed it to be clean bowled.

An old school friend still has the school scorebook which shows him as being dismissed caught Underwood bowled Andrew when we played Barnard Castle.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

November 24 2016, 6:09 PM 

THE FIXTURES ARE OUT! THE FIXTURES ARE OUT!

We play some matches at home, and some away. Some are on weekends, some are on weekdays.

I really don't get the excitement of Fixture Release Day

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk