<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: 2017 fixtures

November 25 2016, 6:22 PM 

Friday night starts are, selfishly, better at 6.30 than 7. I don't get to many games, perhaps 2 a year, so I like to go out before and have a few beers which means public transport. And the earlier the finish the better, after 10 public transport out of Leeds can be poor.

Steel-City
(Login Steel-City)

November 25 2016, 7:00 PM 

Nice to see some of the early season matches having a Friday start, but is there any reason whatsoever why the September games aren't over the weekends too?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 26 2016, 2:29 AM 

I started early hours Friday, after the fixtures came out, and have just completed the first phase - I booked my Scarborough B&B for both matches, and also a holiday in Spain during the first gap in CC fixtures in May, then booked a couple of trips to Dorset during July & August, and the Trent Bridge Test.

Overall it's not too bad. The Friday starts will reduce the amount of cricket for retired people who like to watch their club weekend, county midweek, but will increase the chance to watch county cricket for those in employment and at school. They will also reduce the amount of county cricket that active club players can watch, but only for half a season.

Quite a nice balance, would be my verdict.

And when the County Championship ends/pauses, the Tests begin, so there's first class cricket most of the time. The Yorkshire & Lancashire fixtures dovetail quite nicely, too, with one home when the other is away, most of the time - especially when they're playing one another!

I am guessing, but I imagine I will be able to see more 2nd XI cricket in 2017 because their games will have to avoid weekends, when the club grounds they use are not available.

I reckon there were 194 cricketless days between seasons, and as of today we've seen off 63 of them.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 27 2016, 6:09 PM 

"Really finding it difficult to see how the revamp of fixtures is an improvement of the old in any respect apart from pleasing Sky.
Two championship fixtures have been dropped, but the season is even longer than before running from the start of April right to the end of September.
The championship is further marginalised with half the games played in April or September.
All the 50 over group games played in the first half of May (Yorkshire play the first five in eight days, including three of their four home games).
If Yorkshire fail to get out of their t20 group they will play no cricket at all for nearly three weeks between 17 August and 5 September."

Agree Roundhegian --- plus no CC cricket at Headingley in July or August, and the "blocked" T20 tournament is not blocked as we have a CC match slap bang in the middle of it.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Nov 27, 2016 6:33 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk